Remember The Trace? I want to make that actually happen.
  • Not defensive, and not thinking you were having a go Beano.

Rather than half remembering what went down I've dug out my last email from Jim. Obviously anything discussed on the forum is lost, but this adresses some of it anyway:

"I'm sad to say that The Trace has pretty much died. A few of the editorial team, key members, disappeared and still haven't responded to my emails and calls. I hope they're okay, but I can't launch without them as they dealt with the technical aspects of the site, marketing, networking etc. I posted an announcement on the site a couple of weeks back asking is anyone was still wanting to be involved and didn't get any replies, so, sadly, I decided to close it down.

I'm disappointed and not a little annoyed to be honest, some of us, such as yourself, had sunk a lot of time into it and it had real potential. Unfortunately, without the technical guys doing what they promised, I couldn't launch the site as intended."

Tempy - That's kinda how this began.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Ok. Lots going on here. Overall, I'm keen to help build whatever will expand this community in a constructive way.

My initial thought of how to achieve this is to set up a blog-type system adjacent to the forum. The general features would be:

1. Any member on the forum could post, with greater options of what content they can display than is available on the forum. Posts could also be tagged.

2. The default view of the blog page would be a chronological list of posts from everyone.

3. There would also be a dedicated page for each member's posts, which would permit certain amounts of (optional) branding to be placed (banner image, descriptive text etc).

4. Each blog post would create a thread in a "locked" category in the forum; so that people could not post new threads to it, but would still be able to comment on the automatically generated ones.

5. Certain amount of code-magic would be used to weave this together so that it feels as seamless as possible (maybe allowing you to post to the forum thread directly from a blog post page or whatever).

I personally feel that this is the best way to do things; the discussion between people is kept to the forum (which is really the whole point of this place), but there's a clearly delineated area where personal content can be added. There would be nothing stopping someone from registering, for example, a "The Trace" account here and then only using that to post embeded soundcloud podcasts to the blog; but similarly, those posts would intermingle with LazyGunn's bat-shit crazy gamedev blog, or Unlikely's "favourite photos of ham" photojournal. Anything more would be overkill for now; and there's nothing to stop a group of people going off and doing their own thing should they want greater freedom. This also doesn't remove anything that we currently have, drives new visitors to the forum, and doesn't rely on any one person (or group of people) to generate content.

Thoughts?
    The janitor.
  • Initial thought is I quite like the idea of it. whether I'd personally use it I really don't know, but I can appreciate that for other members of the community it might be benificial. Seems like a decent all inclusive plan.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I want to do a podcast, so I think the best thing to do is take the advice above and actually just do one.  Does anyone like the sound of the idea I posted enough to do it?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sounds good to me. The idea of having a single blog than can also be viewed as individual ones sounds great.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds good, Petey.

As I say, if we want to use this to try to engage with people outside the community then it would be good if we could allow people to comment with just an email address and any name they want.

In fact, if it's possible, it would be nice if we could try and somehow set it so that the thread associated with any post was also the comments section of the post itself, so that us forumites could interact with any randoms who stumble across the place in our normal manner.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I want to do a podcast, so I think the best thing to do is take the advice above and actually just do one.  Does anyone like the sound of the idea I posted enough to do it?

Personally I think your idea's great Elm. I listen to a couple of gaming podcasts travelling with work (as well as some other stuff) and I think you're right, a podcast that tried to ape ones attached to professional sites and publications just wouldn't work (mainly because it's their job, they have access to games, access to publishers and developers, the budget to go to the events, etc).

One of my favourite parts of the Giantbomb podcast is when they get into a little deeper discussion about the games they are playing. A little of that, but with contributors here instead of the GB guys would be a win with me.
  • PS. I suggest the first podcast should be 7 hours of Face talking about Dark Souls...

Edit:- To Tempy ;)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I want to do a podcast, so I think the best thing to do is take the advice above and actually just do one.  Does anyone like the sound of the idea I posted enough to do it?

I liked the idea of keeping it about different things. I'm a console gamer so if, say, the podcast got dominated by PC talk then I'd end up being excluded and so on.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    I liked the idea of keeping it about different things. I'm a console gamer so if, say, the podcast got dominated by PC talk then I'd end up being excluded and so on.

That was my main thing, really.  I'd be very happy for the PC gaming lot to do a show on Diablo 3, which I'd happily listen to; but I'd also like to actually be on an episode about some of my favourite games.
  • Whatever you resolve to attempt re: poddery, ensure you've enough bandwidth to host all the participants easily. Field a minimum of two recorders.
  • I thought the accepted method now was for everyone to record their own participation, so even if someone else's voice crackles a bit through bandwidth reasons, you'll never tell with the final recording?  Be easy enough to upload/download through DropBox or something.

I don't know enough about Audacity, but I presume it's simple enough to stitch together all the feeds.
  • What we did was a two stage thing where Cinto did a first edit in Garageband or whatever his foul Macintosh was running, then I'd do a second hyper-anal edit in Cubase, eliminating awkward gaps in flow, excessive umms and urrrrs, then splice in breaks to tunes and EQ/comp the whole show towards something like reasonable listening quality. It sufficed.

Multiple stems would've been the ultimate, but not everyone's so hot with the tech sometimes.
  • This means little to me.  I best not do the technical stuff.
  • I'm happy for the forum to just be a forum, but would also welcome the chance for others to show what they can do.
  • Brooks wrote:
    What we did was a two stage thing where Cinto did a first edit in Garageband or whatever his foul Macintosh was running, then I'd do a second hyper-anal edit in Cubase, eliminating awkward gaps in flow, excessive umms and urrrrs, then splice in breaks to tunes and EQ/comp the whole show towards something like reasonable listening quality. It sufficed.

Multiple stems would've been the ultimate, but not everyone's so hot with the tech sometimes.

It was actually pretty spot on iirc. Mongoloid was also inspired. A perfect fit.

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • PS. I suggest the first podcast should be 7 hours of Face talking about Dark Souls...

Edit:- To Tempy ;)

Yr a cad.

I actually love Dark Souls but I haven't finished and just marvel at the time that Face sinks into it.
    Elmlea wrote:

I like the sound of the idea and as a fellow I reckon you're the kind of person who'd do a great job at picking a panel.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    To be fair apart from mastering in soundforge, you've probably topped that. It could be fun but I'd rather the focus remained on you dickfucks talking shite to each other. Because that is fun
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • +1 Ben
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    And also what we do here in text
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Stop calling me Ben

Obj, carry on then
  • We should really get Pranky involved on this. He is the King of Podcasts, or so I am told.
  • @ Ben :D
  • We should really get Pranky involved on this.

Podcastdom has enough Karl Pilkingtons.
  • I'd be interested in a Pranky podcast but only if it's people acting out a fictional life of the mad cunt.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I am drunk right now and feel like recording a Podcast. Where are my guys?
  • Frosty wrote:
    I am drunk right now and feel like recording a Podcast. Where are my guys?

I'm here, but not drunk.
  • Imhere

guess what

g.man
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    *hic*
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Got Gareth Gates or Will Young tunes on the vidzone... And whiskey.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!