The I'm getting old thread of despair and hope.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Who of a certain age hasn't had to suffer looking at others' holiday snaps? 

Social media only makes it easier.

My teen daughters use social media a lot but they see it for what it is, and ridicule those who post too much as it's seen to be a bit naff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • How can I leverage millenials to feather my nest?
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    And the social media conversation is a con. You're kidding yourselves if you think anyone is different today from the way they used to be. Give baby boomers access to instagram in the 60s and suffer the same bullshit as today. What's wrong with thinking about yourself as a unique, beautiful human being? After all, you are. As long as your happiness with yourself doesn't impinge on the welfare of others, I would argue it's a healthy state of mind.
    You can be all those things without posting selfie's and curating your life online to persuade others of your worth (via showing them the things you consume). It's probably not worth arguing about.

Absolutely - I'm agreeing with you not arguing - just saying that it's not a function of "today's youth", rather a function of "human beings for all time ever"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Social media is great for holiday photos. People can share them, you don't have to look at them and everybody's happy.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    How can I leverage millenials to feather my nest?

Have kids, make them practice their selfie technique day and night, persuade them to look after you financially in your dotage.
  • Not my millenials! I need a "leveraged millenial plan" to pass down the generations free from IHT.
  • You probably need to spell ‘millennials’ correctly in your business plan, for starters. Beyond that point, I’m lost. No help at all.
  • It's called "marketing".
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Buy property, rent it to millennials, see your investment go up while providing a steady income. Job done.

Although surely this is what's happening on your estate anyway.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Buy property, rent it to millennials, see your investment go up while providing a steady income. Job done. Although surely this is what's happening on your internment camp anyway.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Roujin wrote:
    It also serves as a source of distraction/slim chance of internet fame and $$$ compared to the real world where kids are staring down the barrel of racking up 30k plus of debt for a degree because the job market is fucked and people with degrees now compete for office admin roles. Working till they are 70 for their state pension and a lifetime spent sinking 2x full time wages into a mortgage with nothing leftover for savings/pensions.

Pretty much this. The fact that you can become famous from a single YouTube clip has parody with the American dream where everyone thinks they're going to make it. There's less anger yet, as Trippy pointed out, more inequality. Activism isn't one walk on a March against war, which I'll pessimistically think as a day out for da yoof. It requires a political commitment that takes time and seems to be lacking - possibly because there's more fun and distraction to be had these days. There was nothing to do in the 70's but moan.

So swings and roundabouts I guess. It'll all kick off at some point but I guess that point isn't now.
  • I'm at a student club night in the rebuilt HIVE building at UoG.

I feel like a fucking relic.
  • It's like Bodysnatchers for the 00s
  • I went to The Garage two months ago. It didn't end well.
  • I went to The Garage two months ago. It didn't end well.
    Your poor bastard. At least you survived.
  • I wish I was in the 70s sometimes.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • When you were a sperm, retroking 1981?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Imma guess 1980.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!