Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm I getting this all wrong or is this deal quite good?

We get border control etc but have to follow trade deal rules which we would have to follow any way if we broke away and then created a trade agreement with the EU?

Means the Irish border problem goes away too.

Is this not a good compromise or am I missing something?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s as good a deal as we could have hoped for, but it’s still pretty rubbish. The problem is that politicians have been baselessly claiming we can get better since the negotiations started.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The issue has always been a complete and abject failure on behalf of our government to face up to reality.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Incidentally, there appear to have been several more resignations but I’m losing track right now.

Also rumours that 48 letters have been received, and Preston predicting that May might actually lose the confidence vote after all.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm I getting this all wrong or is this deal quite good? We get border control etc but have to follow trade deal rules which we would have to follow any way if we broke away and then created a trade agreement with the EU? Means the Irish border problem goes away too. Is this not a good compromise or am I missing something?

The problem for remainers is this is objectively worse than being a member of the EU.

The problem for leavers is that their lies about the EU forcing laws on us become reality with this.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm I getting this all wrong or is this deal quite good? We get border control etc but have to follow trade deal rules which we would have to follow any way if we broke away and then created a trade agreement with the EU? Means the Irish border problem goes away too. Is this not a good compromise or am I missing something?

It's a worse position than the UK was in for before this debacle and it's not a clear cut which the hardline brexit fans wanted. It's a compromise, which while probably the best it was going to be doesn't really satisfy either side.

Kinda like... having a Dr Dre fan and an Iron Maiden fan and hoping that Linkin Park keeps them both happy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • If you didn’t like the power balance the U.K. had with the EU before, this is worse. If you liked the power balance we had before, this is worse.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm I getting this all wrong or is this deal quite good?

We get border control etc but have to follow trade deal rules which we would have to follow any way if we broke away and then created a trade agreement with the EU?

Means the Irish border problem goes away too.

Is this not a good compromise or am I missing something?

It creates a Northern Ireland that is de facto EU while keeping Britain not in the EU. This causes problems for e.g. Scotland who are as distinct a territory as NI but has to compete with them despite being the same country.

It seems to trade free movement for ability to shape laws we have to abide by, because of the customs arrangement.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    May’s called a press conference for 5pm. Could be anything at this point.
  • davyK wrote:
    It creates a Northern Ireland that is de facto EU while keeping Britain not in the EU. This causes problems for e.g. Scotland who are as distinct a territory as NI but has to compete with them despite being the same country. It seems to trade free movement for ability to shape laws we have to abide by, because of the customs arrangement.

I know I'm nitpicking but Scotland is a different country to NI. We're not a territory.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    May’s called a press conference for 5pm. Could be postponed until 7pm and then cancelled entirely at this point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a right old mess.

But given where we are it's hard to see what else is feasible. It pleases no-one that's for sure.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So, will May survive this?
    Or will there be elections soon?

Knowing JC, he's probably hoping for the latter.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Frosty wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    It creates a Northern Ireland that is de facto EU while keeping Britain not in the EU. This causes problems for e.g. Scotland who are as distinct a territory as NI but has to compete with them despite being the same country. It seems to trade free movement for ability to shape laws we have to abide by, because of the customs arrangement.

I know I'm nitpicking but Scotland is a different country to NI. We're not a territory.

So is NI though. (Right? - I always get these confused).

Anyway my point was that NI is similar to Scotland but distinct from, say, Devon or London as parts of the UK.
  • The whole thing is a big farce.

The PM voted to remain, but is desperate to follow through on 'brexit' in the belief (i'm guessing) it will secure her the 'popular majority', whilst also seemingly well aware that a no deal exit is catastrophic, and so wants some kind of deal. Everyone else in the party seems to want nothing to do with a deal, so they can blame someone else whatever happens, looking only to gain political power for themselves further down the line.
    Facing this mess is an opposition party presented with an open goal....but unfortunately led by one of the few politicians with a legitimate long standing anti-EU stance. So they're neither opposing brexit, or supporting a deal, or a no deal, but again just adding to the instability in the hope they can gain power.

basically, they're all being politicians, playing games for their own personal position rather than trying to do what's best for the country...except that this time some fuckwit did actually set off the self destruct button and the only way to stop it is for them all to agree to something!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    So, will May survive this?
    Or will there be elections soon?

Knowing JC, he;s probably hoping for the latter.

It’s entirely possible that May won’t survive and there won’t be elections. I can’t see the Tories going for a GE.
  • Would a GE get you anywhere at this point? I can't see Labour getting a better deal if elected and they would seem to be on the side of a brexit of some sort anyway. If torries retain its either as you were or with an even more hard line fuckwit.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Remember Mogg saying he wasn’t trying to bring down May due to personal ambition?

https://twitter.com/J_amesp/status/1063107400406913026
  • There should be a 2nd ref on May's deal and the option to remain.
    Like any rational sane person contemplating 'are you sure you want to step into an economic recession for the next 10 or so years'?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That seems like the only way out, TBH.
  • Rees-Mogg’s five minutes in charge of the country will be hilarious.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have to catch a tube. What world will so emerge into on the other side?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'd be quite happy with the EU being able to dictate rules and laws to us as we are, apparently, pretty thick.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's kinda my view too, if the shit hits the fan. And I kinda get payed in dollars so I'll be rich rich rich when the sterling tanks...
  • Yossarian wrote:

Well of course. He won the first one, why would he want a second one. He loves pointing to democracy and following the wishes of his members when it suits but "all options are on the table" was always bullshit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    By this stage, May’s resilience is starting to look less like a quality that could be admired and more like some kind of personality disorder. I mean, how can anyone carry on plugging away in the face of all of this? How?
  • Because she knows she risks letting someone like Davis, Johnson or Rees-Mogg run the country?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm fucking done lads. I can't do this dance longer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!