Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    This thread is whatever people want it to be. Changing the title costantly is a dick move.

Why is it a dick move? Especially since I've changed the title of this thread almost every time to reflect shifts in conversation.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not a dick move.

Also we have the no subject thread to fill the "whatever people want it to be" role, Shirley?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    This thread is whatever people want it to be. Changing the title costantly is a dick move.

Takes like this is why we have Trump and, ironically, Brexit
  • I think this thread should now be about the 1998 World Cup.
  • I went to the shop at half time of the Scotland Brazil opener. Streets were deserted. I bought a Twix.
  • I think this thread should now be about the 1998 World Cup.

England look strong going in. Think this could be our time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As long as we don't do anything silly and start getting players sent off
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Feeling better yesterday and today.

Daughters seem fine too.  Wifey seemingly unaffected by it apart from some aches and pains.

Keep resting, fluids. In this phase eat healthy, fruits and vit C, of you have any vitamin D as there is no sun, choke a double or triple dose down. It does not harm and can help. Just catching up on a pilot trial that says of those admitted to hospital, those given vitamin D on top of "best available" treatment end up in the ICU at 25 times less the rate. Twenty fucking five times. I have basically known that Vitamin D was important but fuck me that is a shocking result.

I'm wolfing down some vitamin D tablets as I type tbf in case the dumb redhead yesterday has the Rona.

Friends who have had it have all said you get better for a few days and it comes back in waves. So don't get too complacent, sleep and rest, drink fluids and eat well. Stay off the booze, don't listen to the infidels bad advice here.

Just be a wee bit careful as you can od on vitamin d. It would seem more by taking too much tablets than by normal means but it is possible.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

I've been on the vit d supplement since this began, as much to ward off colds and flu which might be seen as covid 19. So far so lucky

It's very hard to OD on bit D. One guy was taking a 100k iu supplement because of manufacturer error, ie 1000x the RDA, for months, and only then did he have to get hospitalised for hypercalcaemia. It might have been 100x, I don't remember. He sued the manufacturer

In the largest test trial on bit D and respiratory tract infections, ever, the control group had complications at exactly the same rate as the vit D group. I can't remember the dosage, it wasn't that high but would be at least the RDA and maybe more. So definitely in small doses /RDA, there are no downsides.

But I don't take small doses. My father had low but D and so did my mum. Very low. I never exceed 9k a day in supplements. Have slowly edged to a 6k daily dose (ie 6x the paltry daily RDA). As I have done that, I have tested myself. I will test myself probably in late September /Oct after a month of no sun / and taking on average 6-7k dose. We will see where my levels are then.

My levels were just within the "acceptable" range, 61nmols/l, at a time when I got a fair amount of sun almost every day, and was taking a 4k dose every day. I wanna think right now I'm at over 80nmol/l, but we will see when I test. I want to be at around a 100- the levels found in Masai tribesmen who are out in the sun all day - ie the levels our bodies are designed for, having evolved in the tropics.

If I am at or over 120 then I know I don't need to take so much, and will reduce.

One technical question I have is, if I lose weight, do I risk spiking? Vitamin D gets stored in fat, one reason why fat people struggle is their vit D intake from foods gets stored
    In newly made fat because of the burgers they eat with it. When fat is broken down, does the vit D3 then get absorbed in blood? Makes sense to me.

So I think I will get a test in a week when I have steadily lost weight for a few weeks, say 3-4 kg, and not water weight. October at the latest.

Then I'll know.

Tests are 30 quid via better you, simple to do, and they send you a dose after so really the test is 22 quid. It's an NHS test but I guess it's too much hassle to get a GP to test you.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • If it is D it really would explain an awful lot. The active and healthy would be outside more, the richer more likely to have a garden, care homes, the sudden spike in cases from the winter. It wouldn't explain why babies shake it off so easily but it might suggest a full lockdown isn't always the best idea.

I doubt it's the only factor but it must be one. Eg Somalis in Stockholm 1% of population, shocking %age of hospital admission and deaths. At the same time, very high rates of vitamin D deficiency.

Other factors; they are poorer, work jobs that they can't minimise exposure in, live crowded together and therefore increase viral load. Sure thing

But vit D seriously has to be a factor in why ethnic minorities are getting so beat up by this thing outside their "natural" habitat supplying sufficient sunlight to make vitamin D.
  • Goobs, change the title to "Brexit - learn to love the D"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck Brexit.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Guardian have a bit on reasons for deaths going down while cases rise.
    Truth is there are a host of reasons.

Less intrusive ventilators helps, but hospital submissions are also down so its not just treatment alone.

21,000 deaths of the 41,000 official total were care home residents. Some would have caught covid anyway but that decision to put infected people back into homes represents a significant percentage of covid deaths in the UK. Those people are now better protected.

Then it is testing bringing cases up. "Cases" has never been an accurate label, it has always been positive tests. At one point you had to be submitted to hospital to be tested. Then a front line worker, then footballer, now anyone with symptoms can and should be tested and people are doing it.
    I suspect that Cases number to continue to go up but it may not necessarily be a bad thing as they are positive tests and people will isolate, no more of that wondering if you have it or not. We are too far gone to get down to the point NZ got to, too many people here, we will never get on top of it.

Vulnerable folk still need to be extremely carful, nothing has changed for them really other than you might get a better ventilator.
    The rest of us still need to follow guidelines of course.

If you are worried about cases I would try to find what level they are at in your area, after all the Highlands are as much the UK as Leeds which is being hit hard. Check local numbers and adjust accordingly.
    The local strategy is the right way to go with this now and I suspect it will push community pressure for people to behave more than national strategies.
  • Fuck you goobs
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fuck you goobs

:D
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fixed it for you gonz.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Probably not happy with his share price. Needs to short on the UK a bit more.
  • It's going to be no deal isn't it? It was never going to end any other way.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • It's going to be no deal isn't it? It was never going to end any other way.
    We've been heading for no deal for a long time now.
  • It’s utterly disgraceful.
  • If UK really wanted No Deal, it would have already implemented it

Overwriting the NI section of the Brexit deal, as reported, is a threat to have leverage and get a deal from EU. Not to get No Deal

Which does not mean that it might be the final outcome

But UK still want a deal
    https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1302707371958042641?s=21

My money is still on Johnson coming back with a ‘fantastic’ deal that has a number of face-saving but ineffectual concessions that he’ll try and pass off as huge improvements. The same thing that Cameron tried to do with immigration before the Brexit referendum.
  • There will be what technically counts as ‘a deal’, whereby Johnson signs a document detailing exactly what ‘no deal’ actually means. Watch the press try to spin it on his behalf.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's going to be no deal isn't it? It was never going to end any other way.
    We've been heading for no deal for a long time now.

As far as I'm concerned it was the aim or at the very least the logical outcome; though if some sort of highly unlikely advantageous deal could be brokered then it would be icing.

Rich get richer during disruption. Especially when they have time to prepare.
  • Watch as the Gammons celebrate over a copy of the Daily Mail whilst having a pint in their local Spoons
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The one thing schemers cannot avoid is benefiting. See who benefits.
  • I think that Guerrera chap Monkey linked to has the right of it. Posturing just like last time, before concessions presented as "what we wanted all along". Even the timing is the same.

I still believe No Deal is more disastrous than many can even imagine. You peer into any industry, any field, any product; and the catastrophic chain of events in the event of a no deal is, for any single one of them, absolutely untenable with functioning society for weeks or in some cases months. It's just not plausible than anyone seriously wants this (other than the know nothing Brexit plebiscite of course); only smugglers would win.

You dismantle the WA / GFA in the way they're suggesting they would, and you absolutely close the door on any serious / significant / useful trade deal until a change of government, that is a guarantee.
  • I’m working on the general theory that it’s always possible for the rich to benefit from chaos. Nothing more nuanced than that. I’ve never been rich enough to concern myself with quite how they do so.
  • A few ways really.
    Short our economy.

Buy stock in companies that can benefit here or abroad. Private security being a good one if the gov start food riots.

Wait for everything to plummet in value, buy it all, sit on it. Especially property.

The main thing is having cash money that you can do without for a period of time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!