The best sounding albums
  • I'd like our musicmaking forumites to post more about their technical shit, setups and settings generally. Can't get enough datapoints.

Wrong thread for it, but we have a right thread for it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    This would be interesting.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'd like our musicmaking forumites to post more about their technical shit, setups and settings generally. Can't get enough datapoints.

Wrong thread for it, but we have a right thread for it.

Blue mic, Korg for midi input, run through Logic generally. Used a variety of stuff - ULoops (early android) etc - for general loop tinkering, but it all ends up in Logic eventually.

Lots of actual acoustic instrumentation but drums tended to be electric.
  • g.man wrote:

Interesting that My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy appears in there (or perhaps reassuring).  Monster is the track I've been most disappointed in with a decent set-up.  Whether it's the better headphones or the lossless rip, the chorus has suffered.
  • Heh.
    To sum up: Metallica, the anti-Napster poster boys, now have an album that can only be truly appreciated via piracy, and a video game featuring a guitar with 5 buttons on the fret-board is the best way to enjoy an album... the irony boggles the mind.
  • Adding the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves soundtrack to the list.  Dat overture.

• Bump. Great thread.

Still yes to jarreau.

Bob Marley a great shout.

And I note the mqa talk, which is what tidal is using.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Do Hazards of Love with headphones if it's on there and you've got a full hour to commit, by the time the ghost kid chorus comes in you'll be fully converted.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No idea if mentioned already, but Daft Punk - Random Access Memories was a fantastic piece of production probably one of the best sounding albums to chart in years, the de-essing alone is worth the price of admission. Of course along with that it was also a bloody good album. Also anything from Spiritualised is worth sticking in the list, I'll probably always prefer Ladies and Gentlemen, but Lazer Guided Melodies is also bloody gorgeous
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Will give em a go.

Also got reminded of a little album by Kate ceberano.

She briefly had a TV show out here. Was a little jools Holland.

Album is called Kate ceberano and friends. Guest list is great cross section of 80s/90s Australian singers.

All covers, and not a dud amongst them.

(and they pick some iconic stuff.)

Sound is impeccable for live recording too.
  • iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ooh. Nice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My ancient setup for the record:

Would welcome comments for gradual upgrades:-

Integrated amp : Pioneer A300. I replaced my >20 yo NAD 314 with this when the phono stage failed - bought 2nd hand off a guy in work. Sounds great to my ears to be honest and will do for now. I have a powered Phillips Bluetooth dongle rigged up to the Aux input. Works grand with smartphones etc.

CD player : NAD 512 (5 disc carousel). Starting to play up wrt to the loading mechanism and it decides not to play certain CDs - so this is up for renewal. I have had this for well over 20 years. I fancy the Marantz CD 6006 Uk edition

Turntable : NAD 5120 (bought 2nd hand in Cash Converters. Had to get a new belt for it). Came with arm, pickup , cartridge etc which I know is another rabbit hole. The only album I have that sounds shit on it is a new impression of Tubular Bells. I suspect it is the album though.

Speakers Mission bookshelf - can't remember the model : 2 way reflex enclosure, 26-75 W/Ch  Impendence 8 Ohmns (no idea what all that means).  They are bi-wirable and I've did that with my NAD amp that allowed me to do that but I can't say I noticed any difference. They are just single wired at the mo. Again. >20 years

I use hefty ancient speaker cable with banana plugs and I don't use the AV cables that come with the appliances - I just tend to buy something 1 step up from Poundland!

Also have a Hamas DIT2010MBT FM/DAB/Internet radio. Great wee box. Optional app and you can configure it on a website as well once you register it. Will do podcasts and the like too of course and sounds splendid through the amp and speakers.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • TBH, I wouldn't change any of that unless it actually died on you. The A300 is still a great amp. Had the A400 way back in the day, and there really isn't much between the two.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - I really like what I'm getting out of it.

The CD player and the speakers are probably what I'm looking at for now. The old CD player 5 disc turntable is being snotty nowadays which considering its age is no complaint. It got a lot of use in the late 90s early 00s at parties with drunk people using it...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!