Dark Souls III [UK parents Slow-coach edition]
  • Tempy wrote:
    Come on Cinty, you can prove anything with facts.
    But the guardian said we're living in a post-fact world. So it's up to elf to prove it with facts sent via Royal Mail or Courier.

I'm stiiiiiiill waiting
    I'm stiiiiiiill waiting
  • Lost in the post I reckon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark souls discussed by quoting Stewart Lee - that's why I love this place :)
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • My slight issue with Bloodbourne is that there comes a point (church ward) where there just seems to be so many options on where to go next it becomes almost open world and I got lost for many hours.  Almost felt the level design fell in on top of itself.  Also didn't like you could only access one place by spending money - didn't feel right.
    The combat is incredible though and the piecing together of the story is gripping.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You don't need to spend money. Like DkS1.
  • And it's not that open. Maybe you're just lost? The old man on wheelchair says/said stuff from time to time re where to go.
  • yeah I am unlost now but took a fair chunk of my, extremley limited, gaming time to find my way

• everything dead except NK. Sunbro'ed a few boss fights was fun. Love this game going to do some pvp invasions after NK
  • Not sure I should be in here - still trying to avoid spoilers, but...

PS - A great boss fight. One of those Souls moments when you're getting trounced, then try something different and it changes everything.

In this case, I was playing pretty defensive, then decided to go very light, ditch the shield and go 2-handed. Still had no idea what to do in the second half because I hadn't got there before (and got my weapons mixed up because I don't usually have the staff on the left), but just about limped through it. Vid:
    Spoiler:
    And while I'm here, a short video of a couple morons: 
    Spoiler:
  • nice work, really liked that boss

• Another boss down and it was another cracker. Again, went it quite light with nothing but double-handed uchi. Difference this time is I knew what I was doing by this point, because I'd already done it a few times in co-op, and almost had it before in my own game. Only made a couple of mistakes. Vid:
    Spoiler:
    On to the next big bastard, and then... no idea.

It's still early days but I'm starting to think this might be favourite Soulsborne game of all. It's tricky to compare it the first DkS because it's so clearly a sequel, but I dunno, this is very special. I'm already looking forward to starting again and trying out some different stuff.
  • Bit stuck/confused now.

I've just beaten the 3rd lord and 
    Spoiler:
    Don't want to look at a guide and get too much info, but would appreciate someone just pointing me in the right direction. Just the name of a location would do.
  • Somewhere in the first area. Somewhere.

And it was a woman, not a bloke!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol I got killed by the boss's death throes, so didn't even get the cut scene / get teleported anywhere. Was veeery confused.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Somewhere in the first area. Somewhere.

And it was a woman, not a bloke!
    That's what they all say.

Anyway, I'll take a look. Ta.
  • So I went and looked round the first area. Found nothing. Checked a guide. Found out it was in the second area.

That boss. Probably spent 2 hours on it in the end. One of those where I nearly did it on about my 3rd go, and then somehow just got worse and worse at it the more I tried. Getting stuck on the scenery quite a bit didn't help.
    Spoiler:
    Anyway, done that now and there seems to be a few routes open.
  • Nice work on Sully, Jon. I Elf Belled the shit out of him on my first run.

Let us know how you get on with NK.
  • Found that boss to be a nightmare

• Quite a bit more done today. Found a nice easy boss for a change
    Spoiler:
    and did that on second try, and then another really good fight going the other direction
    Spoiler:
    Went light 2-handed again. Had about a dozen attempts and didn't get that close, and then one just came together. More patient, less greedy and just started timing the dodges right. Great stuff.
    Spoiler:
    Now stuck on another boss for the time being, but will have that fucker tomorrow.
    Spoiler:
  • I like the champ, good challenge. Waiting for your thoughts on NK ><
  • Hmm... Feel like a rant is due on this, because they've fucked up the last part of the game somewhat. Feels like they ran out of time or inspiration.

*Minor spoilers*

Was loving it earlier on mostly because of the huge and intricate locations and the sparing (and quite varied) use of bosses. After the 3rd lord it's a bit of a procession of small areas (except the archives, that was good) and samey bosses. I've enjoyed a couple (like dragonslayer armour), but there are just too many big and surprisingly agile blokes with a sword/spear one after another, and the tactics don't vary much. More a case of learning complex move sets and dodge timing, which I find kind of tedious. I've done the champion and then co-oped the princes, and pretty much just sighed when I entered the final (I think) area and saw SoC.

Might have a look at a guide and see what else there is to do. Hopefully there's another area to explore somewhere.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Likely two other areas...
  • I thought everything after 3rd Lord was multiple times better than what came before! Loved the last few areas.

You're missing the best fight in the game...
  • So... NK
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Man, I really jinxed this game when I said it was the best of the lot - pretty much everything since has been poor.
  • JonB wrote:
    Man, I really jinxed this game when I said it was the best of the lot - pretty much everything since has been poor.

Yeah, got to admit I was waiting for that. It seems I was one of the harshest members here when it came to this game. Fundamentally I know it's great, but I think there are way too many problems with it when all is said and done.

I didn't want to say anything because I was hoping you'd love it - it's always good to see someone enjoying a game, even if you yourself don't rate it so highly...

Sorry bud.
  • All I know is that I got to ChampG and the Aerie and I just flat stopped playing it and never felt the compulsion to go back, which says something I'm sure
  • I thought they'd gone too far with some of the bosses in Bloodborne, in terms of the variety and relentlessness of the attack patterns, and adding new move sets halfway through. But fair enough that was a different game with a more skill-oriented approach.

I was worried that would cross over into DS3, but was mostly pleasantly surprised that many of the bosses were Souls bosses - i.e. more about coming up with a good plan and executing it well. Since I got into the final 3rd though it's been the exact opposite. Don't mind a couple of these straight up fights in an empty arena, but I'm worn down now. 

And what happened to being able to use the environment to your advantage? It's like they've completely forgotten that was a thing.
  • The two stages bosses are a bad idea. When you have to repeat a stage in a boss fight every time that's never a good thing.
  • There's that NK post.

I tried so, so hard to solo it. But destroying his steed blindfolded every time to then have to learn the precise rolling required for the man himself proved such a chore that I have to give Hylian Elf a bell.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!