Nioh
  • Yeah I'll try it for sure. Painfully long refill time on the stamina bar as it is. Do weapons add to your equip weight or is it purely armour?
  • just armour afaik. i'm loaded with about 6kgs (head protection is for cyclists) and i'm dodging like Dante.

once you get a few upgrades/levels things like auto ki boost on dodge make running out of stamina becomes less of a thing. also different stances use different amounts of ki. keep an eye on blocking too, let go of it between blocks.
  • Cool, ta. I generally really like the ki pulse system. I noticed how if you block you lock yourself out of pulse regen.

I'll try a zippy dual-kat build tonight, they are my favourite weapons so far.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    To be honest, I pumped 73 hours into it and I enjoyed it but I had no issues trading it in the end towards Zelda (unfinished) - There is something amiss for me in it, the levels are all quick dark and bland and lack the grandeur of Souls. Mechanically it is a superb game an I sure got my monies worth but I haven't really missed it since trading.
  • There's something hollow, no pun intended, about it. The story is terribad and the loot is bland as fuck. I think I need the investment into that side of it to care.

That said, I haven't made significant progress yet so I'll reserve final judgement.
  • This game is far from sluggish. Imagine you're an asshole ninja.
    That was supposed to say 'agile ninja' but that's staying.

Wonderful
  • i'm only just starting the 4th region but the loot system seems a bit superfluous to me tbh.

ok, that sword/armour is clearly better than the last one etc. but i never really pay much attention aside from the weight of it. some of the main levels are awesome IMO, but the sub missions repeat a lot of the same. 

story is on par with something like Ninja Gaiden, but the fact it's interwoven with some actual history makes me like it a bit more than I should tbh.

Now i've been playing a while, i think i would prefer less enemies but slightly tougher/smarter whatever.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    There's something hollow, no pun intended, about it. The story is terribad and the loot is the bland as fuck. I think I need the investment into that side of it to care. That said, I haven't made significant progress yet so I'll reserve final judgement.

To be honest, outside of William chasing the necormancer dude I had no clue what was going on. Found it very hard to remember all the Japanese names. It's a god game fore sure, but it's no Souls. Imo.
  • Less loot, more daylight levels and a boss rush mode would make this game super great.

But when it comes down to it, the combat and gameplay are pretty much perfect.
  • Finally made my way through the burning barracks to face the bastard on the boat. What A Cunt
  • Got him half down for tonight, once I've got his second phase down he should be ok.
  • Got him half down for tonight, once I've got his second phase down he should be ok.

After about 20 attempts I called for help. Then sat as the helper absolutely destroyed the boss. I felt pretty bad afterwards.
  • No shame in using Elf-bell if you're stuck.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Don't even know how. My brother is at the same bit so I'd be happy to, is it possible to arrange co op?
  • Don't bother. You'll feel bad. His second phrase is the easy bit!

I've not summoned once yet.
  • Has anyone actually finished this?
  • I'm quite enjoying leaning how to game its systems, feels like leaning Souls blind again. Glad it's finally starting g to click. If haak, a seasoned MMOer got fatigued, I probably will too though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I recommend unlocking the skills allowing ki pulsing on dodging fairly early. There's one for each stance but when you buy one it unlocks in every weapon tree. Expands your options a lot.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I'm quite enjoying leaning how to game its systems, feels like leaning Souls blind again. Glad it's finally starting g to click. If haak, a seasoned MMOer got fatigued, I probably will too though.

I only gave in because of the Souls point of reference. Nioh is really good, in fact it's the best where mechanics and execution are concerned but the loot system didn't pan out the way I thought it would. There is a lot of nuance and fun to be had from upgrading, soul matching and what not but I just never felt the need to do any of it, even after 73 hours. I would imagine Curtis will have some more reliable info when he reaches end-game but after three full zones and 30 odd missions I just got a bit meh'd. 

Contemplating some videos for the Videogame Soundtrack thread yesterday solidified for me that Souls is the pinnacle of the genre, personally. Unfortunately as well, you know a game never really clicked with you when after traded it you don't miss it at all.

But, like I said, I got my monies worth. I'm thinking this is easily 120+ hour game, at least going by my slow-coach standards.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Also the loot/grind/mmo component falls short due to the segregated nature of the game an having no real tangible progression. In hindsight I quite dislike the mission system.
  • i would be up for some coop shenags, I have no friends. you need to get past a certain point to do i though i think.
    Got him half down for tonight, once I've got his second phase down he should be ok.

look out for his huge balls. second phase isn't bad IMO, he can just hurt you very fast.
  • Really enjoying Nioh, though it can be bastard hard at times.

Make sure you use your skill points and unlock the ability to use the doge as KI Pulse.
    You get new samurai skill point every time you upgrade most of the stats. Only magic and Dexterity give you Ninja and magic skill points.

and yeah, give yourself the ability to move and don't wear the heaviest Armour all the time.

I run around wearing shinobi gear mainly.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Nice Ted, let's sort out the co op at some point.
  • Ok, boat bastard was nothing compared to Scary Poppins flying around with her umbrella. What A prick.

General review: terrible level design, samey enemies,
    awful extraneous loot and systems, everything looks dark and the same, but still playing because the weapons feel amazing to use.
  • scary poppins is not too bad once you learn her patterns, you can go ham if she wiffs that grab, good chance to stun.

there's quite a lot of level variety once you open up some areas, even some *gasp* daylight. same with the enemies, although you see a lot of the same smaller dudes with spear/sword. I actually think i'd prefer less grunts around the place and just make them a bit tougher.

the loot system is actually almost identical to transformers devastation... in that i almost totally ignore it bar soul matching.

• Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    the loot system is actually almost identical to transformers devastation... in that i almost totally ignore it bar soul matching.

Seeing as you're the only person to have ever played that we'll have to take your word for it :)
  • Smang wrote:
    scary poppins is not too bad once you learn her patterns, you can go ham if she wiffs that grab, good chance to stun.

there's quite a lot of level variety once you open up some areas, even some *gasp* daylight. same with the enemies, although you see a lot of the same smaller dudes with spear/sword. I actually think i'd prefer less grunts around the place and just make them a bit tougher.

Fair, I've seen very little real-estate in the game at large yet. I'll definitely be carrying on. I'd for sure prefer less enemy density. All the corridors off the main path seem to be teeming with them, and then have the worst loot of all time at the end. I picked up a purple sword and that's been in the way of decent loot for about 2 hours. Realised you can donate the shite for souls which is something.

kneecap wrote:
    Make sure you use your skill points and unlock the ability to use the doge as KI Pulse.

La0U01V.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!