Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    I want Operation Flashpoint not a Division facsimile.

Fewer words but with more elegance. You bastard Webbo.
  • Aye, Webbins knows the score.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    From what I'm reading a headshot is still a one shot kill. It's just higher tier enemies will have better AI, body armour, weapons etc

So basically you might not want to take on a big group of them unless you can take them out quickly.
  • Well. This is a mixed bag.
    Still much to like. The core Wildlands mechanics are still pretty much present and correct, and it's very pretty.
    I've done all the main story you can do in the beta apparently (there really isn't much tbh), and now I can either do faction missions in free roam or PVP.
    But compared to the simple balls out fun of Wildlands, there are negatives. Lots of negatives.
    I won't go into my gripes just yet as I'm keen to hear others opinions without me tainting things.
    It's definitely worth a look, and it might well be awesome for co-op this autumn, much like the last one was, but yeah, I'm interested to hear what others think.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I know for a fact you'll hate all the crafting etc

I like what I've seen. But then I like menus and tinkering to watch numbers go up.

The actual shooting is pretty much Wildlands though. The world seems more real though, and the lighting is lovely.
  • Game didn't work for me last night. I'll try again tonight.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Character creator for the Beta is pretty basic tbh.

The original one is, but once you're in the game the options open up. There's a tactical kilt...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    bMpRmC5.gif
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • You can actually outfit yer man it nothing but red tartan in this one if you're so inclined.
  • *takes notes*

What about a white horse?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Heh.

I'm still on the fence with it. Only had a dabble up to the bit where they introduce the big bad and the enemy level system. Enjoyed what I played until then, silent headshot sneaky goodness. The random loot boxes are cack, I got two identical DMRs one after the other. It's an ugly game on the old OG Xbone too. I pissed about with the high level chaps by the chopper and yeah you can bump them off with a grenade or headshot but once you kick the hornet's nest you get laser targeted by the AI who down you in a couple of shots.
  • Yeah, I've sunk a good few hours into it now...and on the whole I'm enjoying it.

The basic mechanics and combat are still there, and still awesome, but they've certainly added a fucktonne of junk to it that's unwanted (by me anyway).
    The good news is that most of it can seemingly be ignored without detriment to your game.

They have added elements of both The Division and Far Cry franchises. If I wanted that, then I'd go play The Division or Far Cry.
    I do not want or need my heavily armoured soldier to spend his time in a field picking fucking flowers so he can then sit in his camp and craft explosives...with flowers. That can just fuck off.

The menus have more layers to them than Inception. They can also fuck off.
    There is now a hub area like in The Division which operates much like the one in The Division. This can fuck off too.
    My guy seems to be earning currency. This concerns me for obvious reasons.

I have a tonne of other niggles, but you'll probably all encounter them for yourselves if you have a go at this, so I'm going to avoid a lengthy rant. Most of it amounts to the layers of complication they've needlessly added to the elegant simplicity of Wildlands.

But, that being said, I had a lot of fun with it today. Death comes easy at the front of the game, so you have to be stealthy. Anyhoo, I picked a base on the coast and successfully "infiltrated" it...

fX1WYP6.jpg

YE9Smtw.jpg

AbsdxCZ.jpg

took a long time, but yes, that old Wildlands fun is still at the heart of this.

jury continues it's deliberations

g.man
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I do feel like you could get some of the Far Cry 2 alone in the wilderness vibes from it.

Then team up with others and raise merry hell.
  • Absolutely. It's the addition of shite from the later FC's that irks me.
    Also, I get the impression that your AI squamates will be unlocked along the way in the main game rather than being with you from the get go. I gather they are optional though if you want to lone wolf it.
  • g.man wrote:
    fX1WYP6.jpg
    See that big mountain?
    I flew up there because there's a bivouac at the summit. Landed my helicopter on a ledge and got out. 
    WARNING! THIS IS A DANGEROUS AREA!
    That cloud of cheap-ass mcguffin drones then shows up and blows my helicopter to smithereens, then one shots me for good measure.
    The game then respawns me up there because of the bivouac, but now I have no way of getting down because my helicopter has been blown to fuck. The drones are coming back, and all I can do now is tumble down the snowy mountainside to try and evade them.
    HARRUMPH!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The menus are ridiculous like, took me ages to work out where I had to go to invert my aim, thought I'd found it and ended up inverting the cursor in the menu! Blimey.

If there's a hub I fear dancing and emotes.

There are definitely some unnecessary added kinks to the formula, but I'm betting on it still being great fun in a full squad.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    YAS EMOTES I'M IN
  • Yeah, it looks very much like you can largely ignore all the pish and just crack on with co-op shenanigans.
    ...and yes, there seems to be all sorts of “unlockable” emotes and shit.
  • The hub is legit dire.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Anyway, get Wreckfest bought g and come smash randoms into oblivion.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Where is the hub? As it doesn't seem to fit in with the downed and alone behind enemy lines story if there's a load of dickheads doing the running man or whatever in a social space.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You are downed and alone. It's just another 100 people are too.
  • Where is the hub? As it doesn't seem to fit in with the downed and alone behind enemy lines story if there's a load of dickheads doing the running man or whatever in a social space.
    Follow the main story. After you've checked out the chopper crash sites at the start, the game will prompt you for your next location. It's a big cave up in the mountains. Head there for massive disappointment.
    FranticPea wrote:
    You are downed and alone. It's just another 100 people are too.
    Exactly this.
  • Having a BLAST with this tbh.
    Spent an age doing a faction mission to assassinate a Skel Captain who was squirrelled away in a massive, heavily armed base.
    Scoped the place out with me drone. Picked off the snipers, then went Sam Fisher on the infantry. Captain was the only one left alive by the time I'd finished. Put one in the back of his head with my silenced pistol for the mission win.
    Tense affair. Great stuff.
  • Picked some flowers along the way.
  • FML
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm in day one tbh. Playing Gears 4 with Webbo has made me realise I've been missing co-op lols. Playing through Wildlands was an absolute blast. I liked Ghost War too.
  • Yeah, I'm defo in for this.
    Now if someone can just point me in the direction of WHERE THE FUCK MY BINOCULARS ARE???

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!