Say you had to, could you choose one game per console?
  • Gameboy Colour: Pokemon Silver
    o/
  • Atari 2600: Combat

NES: SMB3
    SNES: Zelda A Link to the Past
    N64: Goldeneye 007
    GCN: Metroid Prime
    Wii: Super Mario Galaxy
    Wii U: MK8

GB: Pokemon Blue
    GBC: SMB Deluxe
    GBA: SMK Super Circuit
    DS: MKDS
    3DS: MK7

SMS: Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    SMD: Sonic the Hedgehog
    Saturn: Sega Rally
    DC: Crazy Taxi

PC: Doom

PC Engine: Castlevania Rondo of Blood

3DO: Road Rash

PSOne: MGS
    PS2: Contra Shattered Soldier
    PS3: Uncharted
    PS4: Until Dawn (only game I've played so far)

PSP: Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
    Vita: Killzone Mercenary

XB: Halo Combat Evolved
    360: Gears of War
    XOne: Dead Rising 3 (only game I've played so far)

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arcade : Asteroids Deluxe.  Runner-up: Tempest
    Pure genius Atari pioneering gameplay + Vector displays with their own unique charm and these two games put that together. Asteroids Deluxe added just enough variety to the original and makes it my first perfect game.

2600: Super Breakout. Runner-up : Combat
    Super Breakout is my second perfect game - its 4 modes (classic, double, cavity and progressive), 3 of which support 2 players, means nothing needs be added to the genre, and the paddle control is peerless. Makes Arkanoid look clumsy. Combat's tank games provide endless 2 player entertainment.

8bit micro (CPC464): Jet Set Willy: The Final Frontier.  Runner-up:Chuckie Egg
    The only games apart from Thrust from that ill-advised era I would go back to but I'd play updates of these without hesitation. The Final Frontier was a semi-sequel that fixed the original's bugs and added a new section in space. Chuckie Egg's slick handling and physics were so out of line with the sluggish 8bit micro offerings that's still very playable.

NES: Balloon Fight  Runner-up:Solar Jetman
    Nintendoised Joust makes for a better game - a bit more accessible and more variety. The throwaway addition of the Balloon Trip mode is one of the first ever endless survival modes.   Solar Jetman pushed the gravity shooter genre to its limits. A massive challenge that is highly replayable and its eccentric presentation makes it stand out.

SNES: Super Mario All Stars.    
    Gorgeous recreations of the NES originals with progress and score backup, and a nice battle version of the original Mario Bros game. There's a version that has Super Mario World on the cartridge too. That's probably cheating so I'll forgo a runner-up.

Megadrive : Micro Machines '96 Runner-up: Dragon's fury
    The definitive Mega drive game. Loads of tracks and modes and 1-4 players catered for.  Dragon's Fury is likely the best designed pinball video game ever.

Gameboy : Donkey Kong '94  
    DK'94 is one of the finest platformers on any console. Gorgeous when played via a GB or GBA player as it uses colour and adds in a cabinet art border.

DS  Tetris DS   Runner-up: Touchmaster
    Tetris is my third perfect game ever and I had to pick one version. The DS version is suitable because of the portable format. Touchmaster is just video game pringles , has really nice variety and is a perfect time waster.

N64 : F-Zero X. Runner-up:  Doom64
    The best arcade racer - nothing like the thrill of racing in an aggressive 30 vehicle pack on impossible tracks. Loads of cars to try and win with and there's a random track generator waiting to be unlocked. I don't like FPS games as a rule - especially on consoles - but I make an exception for Doom64. Exclusive levels, great atmosphere and ambient soundtrack.

PS1 : Kurushi Final.  Runner-up: Vib Ribbon
    Kurushi Final is a gorgeous original puzzle/action game with distinctive styling. Two player mode and level editor thrown into the Final version which makes it the one to pick over the original. Vib Ribbon is a lovely rhythm game with charming animation and it turns your CD collection into a huge compendium of levels.

Saturn : Saturn Bomberman. Runner-up: Baku Baku
    Definitive version of bomberman, 10 player support with hordes of options and excellent solo challenges too. Baku Baku is the best puzzle game that isn't Tetris and Puyo Puyo - there is alchemy in its 2 player versus mode which seems to dish out patterns that facilitate back and forth play without going on for too long.

Dreamcast : Virtua Tennis. Runner-up: Mr. Driller
    Tennis is the best sport for video game translation as you can see everything from a single point of view, and Virtual Tennis is the best tennis video game. Mr Driller is video game crack and OK it's available on other consoles, but with Dreamcast you get a VGA picture and the arcade stick so it wins.

PS2 : RType Final.  Runner-up : Metal Slug 3  
    RType Final's score attack mode is the Gran Turismo of shooting games with its huge number of ships and orbs to try. Metal Slug 3 on PS2 is a rock solid port with a few exclusive bonus mini games on the disc.

Gamecube : Super Monkey Ball.   Runner-up:  Mario Kart DD
    My fourth perfect game. The sequels have proved that the original didn't need anything added. The party/mini games are genius covering the multi-player requirement.  Mario Kart DD's visuals are Miyomoto's vision of a cartoon kart race made real for the 1st time. Two characters per kart opens up team tactics and co-op play. LAN mode supports up to 16 players. The Baby Park oval is a mode on its own.

360 : Mushihimesama Futari.  Runner-up: Trials HD
    I've gushed enough about Futari - best shmup ever as far as I'm concerned with a pile of modes and options so it will last years. Trials HD has a deceptively deep control system that means there is always room for improvement.

Wii : Super Mario Galaxy.  Runner-up: Wii Sports Resort
    Best platform game ever - 2D or 3D. The follow up to Wii Sports with motion plus is really what should have been provided at the Wii launch to live up to the hype. A riot in multi-player and its updates of bowling and golf make the originals redundant.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Master System:

Castle of Illusion.  Far better than the MD game, a near-perfect 8-bit platformer.  I still enjoy playing it quite regularly. 

NES:

Gun.smoke.  Fantastic vertical Commando style shooter, played it for the first time in the retro club a couple of years ago.

Megadrive:

Shining Force II.  Faultless turn-based tactical RPG, introduced me to the genre.  Loved the music and characters.

SNES:

A Link to the Past.  Ridiculously good.

Saturn:

Virtua Fighter 2.  My favourite 3D fighter by a mile.  Easily the hardest console to choose just one game.

Playstation:

Tomb Raider. Cheating a bit as I played this on Saturn, but it really was special.

N64:

Zelda: OOT. 

Dreamcast:

Bangai-O.  Treasure's best game, which is quite an accolade.

GBA:

Kururin Paradise.  Brilliant sequel to an already superb game.  Didn't Edge give the original a [6]?  Crazier than the Gunstar Heroes thing. 

Xbox:

Halo: CE.  Legendary in single player, co-op skirmishes and pistol pot-shots or rockets only multiplayer.  Perfect memories. 

Gamecube:

Super Monkey Ball.  Sega's best ever game. 

PS2:

Pro Evolution 2 (usually go for no.6 for these things, but this was the one I played the most).

Xbox 360:

Trials HD.  The greatest videogame of all time.

PS3:

Red Dead Redemption.  Also cheating here as I played it on 360.  I thought I hated open world games until this proved I can handle them if played in a linear fashion.  Plus cowboys.

Wii:

Mario Galaxy 2

3DS:

Shovel Knight.  Easily my favourite game for many years. The perfect example of an homage that outstrips the inspiration - it's far better than the games it imitates.

Vita:

Super Meat Boy.  Cheating again, played this on 360.  Feel a bit sorry for Hotline Miami here, but I've got to have SMB on the list somewhere.

WiiU:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.  Loved it in co-op.

PS4:

Pinball Arcade.  I am the king of my house.  We probably played the Twilight Zone table for 15hrs (NB: when I won, I won by such an incredible margin - like smashed the other half's best score to smithereens, it was zen pinball, hoho - she's refused to play the game since, claiming that I've ruined pinball).  VICTORY.  I hated pinball until I bought this too, the 'unfairness' of a stright-down-the-middle always made me feel a bit stroppy, so this gets extra points for showing me that a genre I dismissed for 30+ years is pretty good if you can keep your toys in your cot.
  • Gameboy Colour: Pokemon Silver
    o/
    I nearly commented as such. :)

The pinnacle.
  • PC is Final Fantasy XI obviously, since it's the greatest game of all time.
  • Oh I forgot PC!

WoW for me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • If I pick from what I've owned:

NES: Mario 3
    SNES: Zelda: LttP
    Megadrive: Sonic the Hedgehog
    Gameboy: Tetris
    Atari Lynx: Klax
    Playstation: Resident Evil 2
    N64: Zelda: OoT
    Dreamcast: Power Stone
    Playstation 2: SSX
    Gamecube: Resident Evil 4
    Xbox: Halo: CE
    Gameboy SP: Advance Wars
    Xbox360: Halo 3
    PSP: Lumines
    Nintendo DS: Elite Beat Agents
    Wii: Super Mario Galaxy
    Playstation 3: Uncharted 2
    PS Vita: Lumines
    Nintendo 3DS: Fire Emblem: Awakening
    WiiU: Super Mario 3D Land
    Playstation 4: Bloodborne
  • Verecocha wrote:
    So do whatever you want really!

Ok, I'll pick my favourite console exclusive from each console excluding remakes, and try not to pick multiple games from a series otherwise I'll have lots of Marios and Zeldas...

SNES - Terranigma
    Just loved this so much. The music, the graphics, the feel of the whole game. It's some of the little touches and characters and the central premise that really got me. Been too long, need to replay it. 

Gameboy - Link's Awakening
    I remember falling ill when I got this on the way home from school one day. Seriously. I did fall ill which meant a week off school. Honestly. And thinking back, it's still possibly the most 'magical' of the Zeldas if not the most playable. Only Zelda where I actually really felt for/about the setting and characters.

PlayStation - Castlevania: SotN
    Was this the first of the 'Metroidvania' games? I haven't played anything before Castlevania IV. Anyway, amazing game. The srawling map, the halfway point and what happens, the OST which is one of the best around, and just the general gameplay. And let's not forget the best opening scene ever. But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!!

Saturn - X-men: Children of the Atom
    I mean I love my vs. fighters, but this came at a time when I was heavily into the cartoon series. So many grudge matches using Wolverine against my Cyclops loving friend. We were starting to see fighters that were different to Streeg Fighter and not just trying to do the same thing. And Capcom themselves came out with a speedy and hectic super fighter that was great fun to play, great to look at and listen to, and a great game for Xmen fans. Akuma still so best though. 

N64 - Mario 64
    Kinda hard to pick anything else when this was, and probably still is, a pretty perfect game. Can't pick any one thing about it that stands out, it's just everything about it. I'd love for Nintendo to go back to big open areas with multiple approaches. And proper 3D, none of this 2.5D like the last one. 

Dreamcast - Ikaruga
    I'm gonna cheat like Davy and say Ikaruga, even though I played it on GameCube. I didn't play much on my DC and wanted to get this in. I'm shit at it, but this game is so mesmerising and clever and lovely and oh man so amazing! I'd say it's the best shmup on paper. 

PS2 - ICO
    Easy, no contest. Actually Okami is a close second on a console with so many great games. But ICO takes  it by being a game that should've been an inspiration to other devs. Design by reduction or whatever it's called, should've been the rage. And it's so beautiful. I can't really think of what else to say. 

GameCube - Metroid Prime
    Shit Mario and below par Zelda on the system so the crown goes to Metroid. It did a great job of making Metroid into FPS-alike. I liked the scanning and the logs that give you the story and setting etc bit by bit. Played great, looked great, and had some of the best bosses in a game. Shouldabeenaten. 

XBox - Halo:CE
    Not sure this really needs a blurb. Ninja Gaiden was good too though. As was KotOR. 

Wii - Skyward Sword
    Fuck the haters, this is possibly my all time favourite game. Really. Possibly. I mean there are so many little faults, but I loved the use of the controller and the way areas open up and become different. And that last fight, oh my. <3 Zelda

XBox 360 - Halo 3
    Just couldn't do without it. Hundreds of hours of local MP and a great campaign that I could play repeatedly. Just hasn't been the same since. 

PS3 - Journey
    Cos Muzzy hates it. No but seriously, it's the single best 2 hours of gaming ever. The first time it was simply unforgettable. After that, it's a lively social ride with a complete stranger. So great just to fly around together and go on a magical.... ride/adventure. And that bit at the end, the end scene type bit? More beautiful than anything in any game ever. Only game OST to be nominated for a Grammy or something wasn't it?

WiiU so far - Bayonetta 2
    The best brawler out there. I do think it's better than the original. So much fun and so great to try and get platinums and beat hard mode. 

3DS so far - Mario Kart 7
    Better tracks and handling than 8, I reckon and so much fun on TTs with forumites. Perfect fit for handheld. 

PS4 so far - Bloodborne
    Better than Dark Souls for me. I loved the setting, the faster gameplay and the best set of bosses in a game, probably. And it was challenging.

XBox One so far - Forza Horizon 2
    Forum games FTW. Not played much recently but so much fun and bantz. Precisely what is needed. And shunting Shabby all the time, that makes it the best. 

Oops, I forgot about...
    GBA - Astro Boy
    Love this little Treasure. Action shooters thin on the ground mebbeh but this was superb. Gotta play again.

Nintendo DS - Yoshi Touch and Go
    I didn't actually play that much on my DS and wasn't that big a fan of the game library. A few gems, but I'll go for the game that it launched with (I think) and which actually showed how fun the DS can be.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not all were console exclusives but I can't be arksed to edit the start of my post. Didn't do runner ups either, oh well.
  • Also I meant Moot rather than Davy, fucked it.
  • Runners up, again trying not to pick multiples from same series:

SNES - Secret of Mana
    GB - Tetris
    PS1 - FFVII
    Saturn - Street Fighter Alpha 3
    N64 - Goldeneye
    PS2 - Okami
    Oldbox - Ninja Gaiden
    DC - Soul Calibur
    GC - Resident Evil 4
    DS - erm....
    360 - Mushi Futari
    PS3 - Last of Us
    Wii - Mario Galaxy
    3DS - Mario 3D Land
    PS4 - Resogun
    Bone - erm...?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I've not thought this through too hard, but...

GameBoy - Tetris
    Master System - Psycho Fox
    Game Gear - Fantastic Dizzy
    NES - Super Mario Bros 3
    SNES - Final Fantasy VI
    GBA - Kuru Kuru Kuruin
    Megadrive - n/a, all shit
    N64 - Ocarina of Time
    PS1 - Final Fantasy VII
    Game Cube - Metroid Prime
    PS2 - ICO
    PSP - Lumines
    DS - Professor Layton
    Wii - Xenoblade
    PS3 - MotorStorm Pacific Rift
    3DS - Zelda - A Link Between Worlds
    PSV - MotorStorm RC
    WiiU - MK8
    PS4 - Dark Souls 3
    PC - (console?) - Super Meat Boy
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

If you had ever had any credibility, you would just have blown it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Let's just agree that no credibility was lost by that statement
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Since when do I agree to things?
  • Psycho Fox, my fucking man.
  • Gamecube: Metroid Prime
    PC: Civ 5
    Gameboy: Pokemon Yellow
    Xbox: Halo
    PS3: Borderlands 2 local coop with mates
    Xbox 360: Ace Combat 6
  • Yossarian wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Muzzy actually gained a lot of credibility with that factual statement.
  • Psycho Fox, my fucking man.

Same here, played it at a cousin's. Great game.
  • Seems I forgot to include:

PSP - Lumines
    PSVita - Persona 4 Golden
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Muzzy actually gained a lot of credibility with that factual statement.

It's like listening to a priest saying someone has convinced them that they aren't a peado.
  • Fuck sake; I take back by GBA one up there. It's actually:

GBA - Advance Wars
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Fuck sake; I take back by GBA one up there. It's actually:

GBA - Advance Wars

Too late, Advance Wars hates you now!
  • Nice thread and nice OP Cocha!

From the machines I've owned personally...

Atari 5200: Donkey Kong
    Amiga: Speedball 2
    NES: Mario 3
    Megadrive: Sonic 1
    SNES: SMK
    N64: GoldenEye
    Saturn: Sega Rally
    PS1: MGS
    GameCube: Metroid Prime
    Dreamcast: Virtua Tennis
    Oldbox: Halo CE
    360: Halo 3
    Wii: Galaxy 2
    WiiU: Splatoon
    PS4: Destiny

On a different day I may have gone Resi for GC and maybe Taxi for DC. The rest are pretty stable.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • PC - Skyrim
    DS : Advanced Wars
    NES - super Mario bros
    SNES - super metroid
    N64 - Zelda ocarina of time
    Cube - Metroid Prime
    Xbox 360 - Halo 3
    Wii - Mario galaxy
    Ps3 - Ni no Kuni
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Forgot Dreamcast. MSR for me.
  • Ill flesh this out later but...
    C64 Skool Daze
    Amstrad Gryzor
    MasterSystem Asterix / Ninja Gaiden
    SNES Streetfighter II
    Megadrive Gunstar Heroes
    MegaCD Eternal Champions Challenge From The Dark Side
    Sega Saturn Guardian Heroes
    PlayStation Wipeout
    N64 Golden Eye
    Dreamcast Powerstone
    XBOX Topspin
    Gamecube FZero GX
    Xbox 360 Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
    PS3 Red Dead Redemption (played on 360)
    PS4 Driveclub
    XBONE Forza Horizon
    Wii U Mk 8

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Forgot I have an Atari 7800 - that actually speaks volumes as its a pretty irrelevant console apart from these 2 games:

Atari 7800: Asteroids   Runner-up: Food Fight 7800 Asteroids is the best non-emulated home port with nice fake 3D tumbling rocks and a handful of excellent 2 player co-op and versus modes that make it pretty unique. The 7800 is a powerful sprite shifter, more so than the NES and SMS so it is extremely tough and the fact that it is built into the console underlines its keeper status. Food Fight is a console exclusive as far as I can make out and is an excellent port of the arcade game which to the uninitiated is a cute version of Robotron with enemy chefs and piles of food ammo to move between.

PC : Worms Armageddon. Runner-up Kyodai Mahjongg
    Endless tactical hijinks and belly laughs  with Worms Armageddon. Kyodai is an indie effort and the definitive version of the tile matching game with hordes of modes, skins and layouts with a healthy community keeping it alive.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!