Pictures thread. It has pictures in it.
  • All of GW's output is pretty damn high camp despite it's grim dark veneer, but I would say either the Wagnerian Nude Dwarfs

60010799002_fireslayer360.jpg

Or the prissy old Chaos Lord of Slaneesh with his vanity shield 

99800201010_SigvaldtheMagnificentNEW01.jpg

Edit: I fuckin' page turned myself
    Tempy wrote:
    I collected the last 7 Months worth of my Warhammer painting into a gallery on Imgur, if anyone is fussed. It's basically my Tokyo/Long Distance Gamer, but less exciting
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That dwarf is crying out for a rainbow coloured helmet tuft.
  • Much like my mother in law in a restaurant, where I am funding. Go to the bottom of the wine list Brooks.
  • I know fuck all about wine, appropriately enough. Except that Romanee Conti is the most expensive.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I collected the last 7 Months worth of my Warhammer painting into a gallery on Imgur, if anyone is fussed. It's basically my Tokyo/Long Distance Gamer, but less exciting

That's smashing. Don't know how you do it. If it were me, I'd end up spray painting them all silver and declaring them to be Terminator versions.
  • Awesome stuff Temps. A nice productive hobby.
  • Cheers Shabs. Nurgle are gonna get a huge release over both game systems soon, which will take me up to Christmas I reckon. Will need to invest in some wood paints so I can finish your gift :D
  • Brooks wrote:
    I know fuck all about wine, appropriately enough. Except that Romanee Conti is the most expensive.

But what about expensive figurines? Surely there's a list?
  • The most expensive thing GW sell is £1250 I think, via their Forge World team.
  • It's so big it isn't even a miniature, since it stands 22" tall

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Is it just the thing on the right?
  • I'd paint it pink and give it cat ears then take it to games and feed it nerd tears.
  • Brooks get that and do that. Yalla yalla.
  • @Yoss, yess.

I'd paint it pink and give it cat ears then take it to games and feed it nerd tears.

I mean you think they'd hate that but they wouldn't because nerds are awful.

Also Emporer's Children are already a thing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What's it made out of? Gold?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Games Workshop must be shitting themselves at the rise in 3D printing.
  • They've just revealed their share prices have gone up nearly 8% on last year, which comes less than a year after they were declared doomed by most financial advisers. 

They don't need to worry about 3D printing just yet, because it takes too long to make things that reach the standard of high impact polystyrene or high quality resin (which is what the Mars Pattern Warlord Titan above is made of) and you could proxy any army with toy soldiers if you wanted to for a fracton of the price. 

It mostly shows that the vast majority of the hobby lies in the painting of the figures, something you want a good, high detail, quality material for, further reinforced by the backlash against the 'finecast' resin they used for a few years that people almost stopped buying.

I imagine it did prod them towards doing an about face in many ways, but people tend to like to buy things from the source so they can continue buying things in the future I guess.
  • Yeah as amazing as 3D printing is it isn't at the stage of replicating that level of detail, certainly none of the machines an average Joe could afford.

You could probably get close if you spent a few hundred K but at that stage you may as well buy the things.

The best way to pirate them would be a way that has been available for donkeys years, make a silicon mould of an existing figure. Still won't get the detail fully though.
  • Yep, the detail om GW stuff is amazing, it's a large part of why they do so well, even the best painters end up obscuring some of the detail due to the way primer works with plastic. Very small and close knit design team too, would love to see behind the doors of Lenton.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    They don't need to worry about 3D printing just yet.

Maybe not just yet, but this can't be too far off.
  • I'd take a wild guess at 5 or 10 years before it becomes feasible. Even then they'd probably swap to licenses, because to play in GW run events you need GW sanctioned stuff that represents the rules, and people will want to do that
  • About 4 years ago I went to a 3D printers with work to see what it was all about.
    Their machines cost 250k each and while the output was fantastic it wasn't as detailed or as smooth as anything from GW. To smooth it requires good old wet & dry and polishing, all of which removes detail.

4 years on and there still isn't a desktop printer that can match what I saw there.

Now tech will improve, obviously. However I struggle to see the market that would fund the development of desktop priced and sized, super high detail 3D prints. The low priced printers require industry of scale to make them affordable prospects.

Compare it to 2D printers. The tech to print proffesional quality prints (e.g movie posters) has existed for 10- 20 years easily, yet our home printers aren't that level because there is no market for it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I'd take a wild guess at 5 or 10 years before it becomes feasible. Even then they'd probably swap to licenses, because to play in GW run events you need GW sanctioned stuff that represents the rules, and people will want to do that

Once 3D printers are good enough, you can bet that there'll be 3D scans of the GW sanctioned stuff that you can download from pirate bay or wherever.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Brooks get that and do that. Yalla yalla.

Isn't painting a not-remotely-miniature miniature cheating.
  • I like the Blood Bowl videogame a lot, ftr. Playing a II campaign of sorts at the mo.
  • Spent an hour cruising coolminiornot.com today, and it's all all of your faults.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just use a giant brush and paint it from 100m away.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ... using Hubble as a loupe
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!