Death Stranding - Kojima/Reedus
  • No idea where my brain was at yesterday - blame over 6 hours of driving.

What I meant to say is that the landscapes I saw could have been lifted straight into the game. Including similar coloured hills and patches of ground, and there were 1 or 2 prepper settlements as well. If there had been more rocks I’d have questioned my reality.
  • I got what you meant straight away pal. Playing this game reminds me of a good hike in the Lakes on a rainy day.
  • Anyone playing this on PS4/PS5? I wanted to try some strand contracts but no one on my friends list is actively playing it seems.

Thanks to Syph for the loan of this. This game is incredible. Can't think of an open world game I've enjoyed more so far. The mechanics and level of detail are polished in a way that only Kojima seems to do. Small things keep happening that remind me of the level of craftsmanship in this game. For example, making the mistake of carrying cargo in my right hand and then realising I can no longer use that hand to hold my breath, or finding out I can throw further with my right hand than my left.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Anyone playing this on PS4/PS5? I wanted to try some strand contracts but no one on my friends list is actively playing it seems.

Thanks to Syph for the loan of this. This game is incredible. Can't think of an open world game I've enjoyed more so far. The mechanics and level of detail are polished in a way that only Kojima seems to do. Small things keep happening that remind me of the level of craftsmanship in this game. For example, making the mistake of carrying cargo in my right hand and then realising I can no longer use that hand to hold my breath, or finding out I can throw further with my right hand than my left.

Iv been absolutely hammering it so beware if you don't want loads of roads already built and a few zip-lines from roads to preppers etc

This is my 2nd full playthru and I find it hard to turn off it's so moreish.

I'm daviedigi on PSN.
    Feel free to connect with me.
  • Added you to PSN Davie, but think you have a good point on boosting my progress too much. Will refrain from the contract until later in the game.

Nice one.

Have upped the difficult to hard. Felt like I was coasting through some aspects a little too easily. It’s a subtle shift with increased timefall damage and better Mule AI and tougher BTs. Enjoying the extra challenge and I’d recommend it. Also there is an additional rank you can get when perfecting premium deliveries.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Added you to PSN Davie, but think you have a good point on boosting my progress too much. Will refrain from the contract until later in the game.

Nice one.

Have upped the difficult to hard. Felt like I was coasting through some aspects a little too easily. It’s a subtle shift with increased timefall damage and better Mule AI and tougher BTs. Enjoying the extra challenge and I’d recommend it. Also there is an additional rank you can get when perfecting premium deliveries.

Yeh it shouldn't help too much story wise as you need to be connected to the chiral network to see other players structures and buildings.
    However if your going for legend of legend s ranks then my roads and zip-lines will be invaluable on return trips etc.

I didn't realise about the extra ratings till after my first playthru (on PS4) so I have been doing all this one on hard.
    A lot of my earlier ladders and stuff have succumbed to timefall damage.

Was just about to play last night too and a mate asked for help on pressage mission on destiny 2.
    Il get some more time in today/tonite.

Glad your enjoying it pal.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I play this on and off too. I don't have much time but I play for a bit maybe once a week. I've pretty much ignored all of the building stuff as I don't really know how it works.
  • I've had a few warnings about Timefall damaged items. Would this apply to online items as well as your own? Makes it more interesting to have bridges, ladders and ropes eventually disappear and be replaced due to Timefall.
  • I'd love to see all the shit you've built Davie. Your in my friends list so do I need to do anything in game to see your structures? I've just been on the fragile express and about to start chapter 3.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve restarted this after finishing the OG version but have a few other things to play first. Building out the infrastructure was one of the best parts of the game.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    I'd love to see all the shit you've built Davie. Your in my friends list so do I need to do anything in game to see your structures? I've just been on the fragile express and about to start chapter 3.

Go to Bridge Links in your menu. Find davie (or whoever) in the friends list and press triangle. This will create a “strand contract” which means you are more likely to see his stuff.
  • Had a piss in the snow on top of a mountain. The snow melted. Beautiful.

FBaKwlXWQAQKF6W?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
  • Cupatay wrote:
    I'd love to see all the shit you've built Davie. Your in my friends list so do I need to do anything in game to see your structures? I've just been on the fragile express and about to start chapter 3.

I made a link to you pal.
    There's loads of boots, pcc's, roadstars (for use on my highways) etc in share lockers for you all
  • Spent a good hour or two trekking in the mountains last night.

Started off OK with me laying down some zip points for future trips. Long slog up through the snow.

FBcfp8YXIAIp4vg?format=jpg&name=medium

Stamina quickly went out of the window. Was a relief to see some friendly faces up there.

FBclQnWX0AQwrME?format=jpg&name=medium
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Love the mountains. Must get back to this.
  • Definitely my favourite area so far. I'd say that a surround or 3D audio via headphones are essential for this. Total immersion in the mountains and the audio is a massive part of that. The audio is amazing throughout the whole game (although I think some of the music is whack, but fair enough Kojima).

Some other little details I've spotted. Whilst carrying a woman on my back I couldn't do a pee. When getting to my room after the alpine slog, my fingers and toes had turned black with frostbite.

I ended my session last night with an attempt to snowboard down a mountain on a floating carrier. I hit a rock, bailed and destroyed a VOG container and some other order cargo. First time I've completely blown an order. Then I had to do a rescue and had 0 stamina left. Tried to pick up the body and just collapsed in the snow. This game really makes you feel the struggle.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep the sound of the wind and that bit where you zip over the falling boulders sounds great on the old surround.

I'm going to cover off a lot more side deliveries on this run. I spent a lot of time zipping between three bases in the mountains as I'd had a nice setup and the power ups synergised well.
  • Thanks Davie, I look forward to seeing your hard work. I haven't had much time for gaming recently but this is right at the top of my list when I get some time.

Lovely pics drum, those snowy mountains look amazing.

I won't play this with out my head set on, the wind, the rain, the atmosphere, it's just lovely to soak it in.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Spent a good hour or two trekking in the mountains last night.

Started off OK with me laying down some zip points for future trips. Long slog up through the snow.

Stamina quickly went out of the window. Was a relief to see some friendly faces up there.

Who are those guys? Not other human players are they?
  • Cupatay wrote:
    drumbeg wrote:
    Spent a good hour or two trekking in the mountains last night.

Who are those guys? Not other human players are they?

They will be NPC porters.
    They go about there business just like you but you can trade with them too.
  • I'm still in the opening section doing errands lol.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'm still in the opening section doing errands lol.

That’s the whole game Brooks…
  • I think I'm supposed to go further west at some point. I have resolutely not done that.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I had a 30 hour PS4 save which i loaded into the PS5 version, but i really wanted a fresh start, and i'm so glad i did! 

Prior knowledge cut down alot of the hassle with the BT zones, and once you get to that point in the story where you have free reign, i loved building the roads and the infrastructure to help out other players . 

I haven't completed the resource heavy roads in the mountain area, because trudging through that region setting up zip-lines was without a doubt my favourite part of the entire game - gauging distances, judging the incline/decline, the geometry of it all is soooooo satisfying. 

Then when you activate the next Chiral Network NPC and all the online player ziplines pop-up you can add them to the mix...but mostly ignore because my route was paramount. ;) Either way its a 2 min zip over the mountain range now they're all in place.

I love hitting Mule camps and robbing all their resources until they respawned again. Thats a happy kind of grind - because those rescources helped build all the structures that benefit the greater good!

Then i cracked on with the story for curiosities sake and there were a couple of Episodes that fell really flat for me. I won't name them because i don't want to spoil anyone elses experience. 

So, i played through to the credits and it looks like a NG+ scenario based on the reset missions/deliveries available, so i've left it alone for the past 2 weeks.

I think about it alot, not because i wanna go back (yet), but because its a unique and profound experience, and not many games i've played deliver in that fashion. 

I understand why most players or "gamers" would dismiss it, but its so well created and designed (within an inch of its life) by a singular vision - and thats what appeals to me most. Don't get me wrong, i am not a Kojima fan-boy, but i do appreciate creativity when i see it regardless of medium.

Erm...drunk rant over! Loved it 10/10.
  • One thing I've never been able to really conclude is exactly how calculating and effective Kojware has been at puncturing its own seriousness with, like, love interests having an attack of the squits or grenades made from your own piss, but I do think this outing does it with a grace that's a step up on previous. This is definitely helped by the atmosphere of gormless mirth that any persistent online multiplayer space will exhibit. You will believe a weirdly placed ladder can be a punchline.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    I haven't completed the resource heavy roads in the mountain area, because trudging through that region setting up zip-lines was without a doubt my favourite part of the entire game - gauging distances, judging the incline/decline, the geometry of it all is soooooo satisfying.

This... and I've never got more than the first cutscene+20 on any MGS game. Love this game. Need some quiet time off work to dive back in properly, only just about to start out on my first real big trip west.
  • One of the things I love about this thread is seeing how people play, what is effectively a very simple game, so differently. My preference is to play games quickly, but enjoy them along the way, moving on as soon as I can when I've seen the end. So, with this, I barely built anything at all. I invested I things that would help me walk from A to B - like the power legs and the floating cradle thingy. I also loved riding a bike around. I guess that defeats the 'strand' element of the game, but I quite enjoyed the isolation of the world, which I think went well with the story and the general theme. Cracking game.
  • Curtis wrote:
    I haven't completed the resource heavy roads in the mountain area, because trudging through that region setting up zip-lines was without a doubt my favourite part of the entire game - gauging distances, judging the incline/decline, the geometry of it all is soooooo satisfying.  Then when you activate the next Chiral Network NPC and all the online player ziplines pop-up you can add them to the mix...but mostly ignore because my route was paramount. ;) Either way its a 2 min zip over the mountain range now they're all in place.

This is the part of the game I have been at for the last few evenings. I have reduced arduous routes to a trivial zip wire trip. I did start to build some roads in the region, but have put that off for now as the zips are the optimal way to get around with what have been relatively light loads. Will need the roads for some of the heavyweight premiums though. 

Have just done a delivery in whiteout conditions to the highest peak so far. The atmosphere was incredible, and again it's the surround audio that really drives it home. I've been in real whiteout conditions in the alps before and this game really captures that sense of struggle and disorientation. This game really nails mountains. 

Curtis wrote:
    I love hitting Mule camps and robbing all their resources until they respawned again. Thats a happy kind of grind - because those rescources helped build all the structures that benefit the greater good!

Interesting, because I've avoided hitting the MULE camps so far, doing so only when required by a mission, but I did an amazing stealth mission to retrieve something a couple of nights ago where the route I took involved abseiling off a rock face into MULE territory and into long grass. I'd studied movements and the target got close enough for me to strand him undetected. Got out unseen and unpinged. Felt amazing because due to the complete lack of signposting or obvious approaches that this game presents in such situations, it at least felt like I had devised this masterplan purely off my own back based on a vast number of options. It's wetted my appetite for more ah-hoc MULE harassment.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Will need the roads for some of the heavyweight premiums though.

Top Tip: Stick the really heavy stuff on a Floating Carrier. Attach the wire to your waist, then jump on the zipline and it'll get dragged along for the ride. ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!