Twin Stick Shooter
  • Twin stick for aiming, face buttons for stuff. I guess that makes a difference. Although my memory is hazy and I'm not aware of anyone being a zealot about the differences.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Gatling Gears. Only ever tried the demo.

It was ok, nothing to shout about. Me and Gav cleared if I recall.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Mmmmm, so much to love

GeoWars - never really got totally along with it, was pure twitch and the aesthetic was less apealing than 1942
    SSD:HD - lovely game, really rewarded skill without punishing lack of twitch, balancing act between when to use teleports and bombs
    Everyday Shooter - Masterpiece, proper homage to all that is great in the world of shooty goodness
    Dead Nation - was pretty fun and took us out of space for a little while
    Bangai-O - God-tier

There were a mega bunch of them floating around PSN and XBL towards the middle and end of the last gen, no idea why

Do something new though, take it in a different direction, colour me intrigued
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Helldivers

Gauntlet if you're playing as Elf...
  • Tempy wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Gatling Gears. Only ever tried the demo.

It was ok, nothing to shout about. Me and Gav cleared if I recall.

We only done a few levels, I'm sure! Good game though.

EEEE is the tatties.
  • Assault Android Cactus is supposed to be quite good. I haven't played it but it's on my wishlist.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/250110/
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Facewon wrote:
    There's a couple more, at least, on xbla 360 that fit the bill of twin stick. Trying to think of them. Some very early in the systems life. One with tanks and very steam punky.

Assault Heroes too.  The second one would've made a solid DC game.
  • Facewon wrote:
    There's a couple more, at least, on xbla 360 that fit the bill of twin stick. Trying to think of them. Some very early in the systems life. One with tanks and very steam punky.

Assault Heroes was one of he first XBLA games I played and it wasn't too bad.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Ah, Moot beat me to it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Mutant Storm and Mutant Storm Empire, both excellent.

Everyday Shooter, which took forever to come out, I was super hyped about and was ultimately disappointed by. An interesting curio, though, so worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

Now what was the name of that game that took place in a Petri dish and had you blasting waves of enemy cells. It was a PS3 launch game if I remember correctly, and you could flip the Sixaxis left or right to cause a wave that would wash the enemies in either direction in times of need. I had some fun with that.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Bangai-O - God-tier

Ha. Never considered Bangai-O as a twin stick shooter for some reason. But yeah.

Only ever played it on DC as I've heard mixed reviews of the XBL game. Have an eye out for the original on N64 which is different enough to warrant attention by all accounts.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Added Everyday Shooter to my Wishlist. Will get the next time it's on sale.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Bangai-O - God-tier
    Ha. Never considered Bangai-O as a twin stick shooter for some reason. But yeah. Only ever played it on DC as I've heard mixed reviews of the XBL game. Have an eye out for the original on N64 which is different enough to warrant attention by all accounts.

I first played it emulating N64 or DC I forget which, and mapping fire to the analogue stick (OK it's only eight way but it counts) on a ds2 or ds3 was probably what made me fall in love with twin stick shooters
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cheers again! I *wish* I had a vita for several reasons but unfortunately I can't justify buying one. YouTube will burn bright today. Cheers for those Cockbeard they look like great suggestions - if anything comes to fruit i'll definitely be asking you guys to help with a bunch of playtesting. It's not guaranteed to go anywhere but the stars are aligning when it comes to having the tools I need to get it done

And yeah I'm trying something quite original as far as I can tell, it's ostensibly meant for VR but it should be possible to have a script that can switch the project to plain jane for testing purposes
  • Added Everyday Shooter to my Wishlist. Will get the next time it's on sale.

Do it, quality game. One of the best on PSN.
  • davyK wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Bangai-O - God-tier
    Ha. Never considered Bangai-O as a twin stick shooter for some reason. But yeah. Only ever played it on DC as I've heard mixed reviews of the XBL game. Have an eye out for the original on N64 which is different enough to warrant attention by all accounts.

I couldn't get on with the DS or XBLA games.  The former was ruined by an unforgivable frame rate and the latter got too tough too early for mortals.  Dubs got the full 200/200 achievement though, of course.  The DC version scraped into the last top ten list I made on here I think.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not tried either of the modern ones, but I can imagine framerate stuttering, when you pull off a close escape (or whatever they call it) there can be like over a hundred sprites suddenly appear. Most hardware suffered a little, was forgiven in terms of gameplay as slight slowdown at those moments you were (to all intents and purposes) invincible so it didn't really punish you
  • The positive reviews focused on the fact that it's not game breaking (in Spirits), but slowdown in 2008ish rankled a bit, enough to make me stop playing anyway.  I suppose 'simplify the visuals if it can't cope' doesn't really apply to Bangai-O as the DS specs didn't set the world alight and it's quite tidy/functional looking anyway.  Slowdown and framerate issues seem to bother me more than some.  Pop-up and tearing annoy me in modern games too.  I'd rather everything looked less HDWOW and ran smoothly.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I really should dig out an emulator and see how optimisation on modern machines affects the originals
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The slowdown at the 100 missile launch would in all liklihood be retained for effect. It's very much a Treasure trademark - where slowdown occurs during moments such as boss deaths in games like Radiant Silvergun for example.

If there was slowdown in normal play that would break things for me. I've grown to appreciate slowdown by design in bullet hell games such as Mushi Futari - icicle section in level 2.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!