The Moving House Thread
  • Just got a pay rise and im trying to work out what I can afford to rent.

Anyone here willing to give me some rough monthly costs of rent and bills along your salary? Or any advice in general.
    I've obviously looked around and read some guides etc but just after any additional/first hand info.

I'm now on 19k, I am thinking a high estimate would be around £500 on bills (including food and petrol) which means I should be looking to spend £600 as an absolute maximum on rent.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Heh...

I was just looking at the same thing, before finding your post...

http://www.cliftonandco.co.uk/lettings/affordability-calculator

Any space round yours, Curtis? :D
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Where do you live, as that would have the biggest impact.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You can have a postcode if you bring a bottle...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I would say you need to calculate...
    Known bills
    Energy, Internet, phone, food shopping budget etc

Unknown and non-monthly bills
    Things like MOT and car tax, car maintenance. Take a guess annually and divide by 12.

Luxuries
    Games, drinks, fancy lunches, vibrators, sex swings, lube, candles, strawberries etc
    Be totally honest with yourself with the luxuries bit.

Add them together, take that off your take home pay, knock off another 10% for wiggle room and that is the rent you can afford.
  • Didn't know this thread existed BUT how serendipitous as we have finally exchanged on our first house ever ever.

Exciting times, but have we made a grave mistake buying in London? Should we have moved abroad or some such shit and bought a mansion near the sea?

Dunno. But in the meantime time to buy a kitchen.
  • Congrats Funk.

You won't be regretting it in a few years time when you have doubled your money.
  • No but I'll legitimately feel bad that if / when we sell it we won't be paying any kind of capital gains tax which is the only fucking reason the housing market is so fucked up.

Disclaimer: I won't actually volunteer to pay the equivalent in capital gains tax to charity or something, so I'm well aware of my snivelling hypocrisy you shit.
  • er, I mean thanks! It needs some serious TLC, but nothing structural, so we can make it our own home for hopefully not an arm and a leg and an RSJ.

BTW thanks for the advice re: kitchens, we've been well put off freestanding, so we're gonna try and find a cheap fitted instead with nice doors / handles / worktops.
  • Cool.
    Was gonna ask what you went for.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You still zone 2 funk, or moved further out to buy? NW wasn't it?
  • NW now, Yup. Zone 3 now, slowly escaping the London gravity well. Walthamstow. Vicky line being awesome clinched it.
  • I have calculated everything. I was just wondering what happens in real life. Just being over cautious.
  • Living with gf. Rent is 550. We both pay in 600 a month each (to a separate account) and so far (3 months in) the whole lot has gone each month.

Surprising. How anyone lives on their own is beyond me.
  • What are you paying for man?

Our mortgage is £975. We pay in, in total to cover mortgage, bills ( including aa, life cover) and food, £1500. I'd say £1200 a month to cover your rent, bills and food should be more than enough?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bills and council tax are around 300. First 3 months we've bought a fair amount of furniture including a settee so I'm hoping it settles down a bit.
  • We've been saving to buy, got to about £12000 relatively quickly between us. 

All saving had stopped from last summer as the misses maternity pay dried up following little mans arrival and i've been the sole bill payer up since, putting money aside has been nigh on impossible but i've refused to dip into the savings.

I've just got a new job with more pay, and my partner is now working part time which means we can now finally begin to put some aside again. I think it will take us another 18 months or so before we have enough to consider looking for places but its good to be back on track.
  • I'm currently shopping for a shitty flat. Hopefully in an area where I won't get shot for a pasty.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I lived in a shitty party of East London for about a year once. Every time and i mean EVERY time i left the flat to go do anything on the high street there was some kind of 'incident'. 
    It was incredibly tiresome.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I'm currently shopping for a shitty flat. Hopefully in an area where I won't get shot for a pasty.

Need to do this soon, but with rentals. I hate looking for the least shitty place to live. I'd rather not move but the damp in this place is doing my head in.

• I'm going for a second viewing of a house this afternoon. Last time I made a quip about a watch that had been left on the kitchen side. Is that included, I asked, it's not a deal breaker but I would like to know.

Classic Partridge. How I laughed!
  • My car got nicked from outside my house, driven 20 meters, then set on fire.

My next car got broken into but they failed to start it.

I'm moving house.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I am quite settled in my flat, decent landlord and the rent is a good £150 below market value.
    Unfortunately the landlord is considering a loft conversion this time next year so I will be out.

Not looking forward to it as my understanding is it will be a dick around as I now freelance. Looks like Dad will be guarantor again. Yay for independence, fucking lol.
  • I'm worried our landlord will sell up soon, he's getting on a bit and although he's fairly minted a nice windfall from the house would probably help his retirement. It's a lovely house in one of the nicest locations in town, we got so lucky with it. I'd ideally like to stay here 'til we can buy but who knows.
  • He might sell it as a let property with tenants already installed. Suggest it if he does ever bring it up.
  • Ooh I will file that away for future. We only need to cling on a few more years.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The lady and I have been talking about buying somewhere for a little while now but discussion about where to live (in or out of London, which zone, etc.) and the type of place we'd like took ages. Thankfully we've now narrowed our options sufficiently to actually start the process.

Been in touch with a mortgage broker this week so we can get a much firmer idea of budget, which could ultimately mean a further change of plans but we've been quite realistic I think.

Focus will be on Walthamstow area initially as it meets both of our various criteria pretty well. Would be interested to hear from anyone who knows or has lived in the area, especially if there are places to avoid, etc. Any other general tips welcome too of course.

Anyone else currently going through the buying process?
  • I bought a house a couple of months ago. It is an annoying, long and expensive process, and is highly stressful. Try and not fall out with your other half and remain focused on the goal, because when you do get the keys and move in it is a fantastic feeling.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I wish anyone moving the best of luck. It's a total ballache, and much of it is out of your control. You just have to roll with it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I bought a house a couple of months ago. It is an annoying, long and expensive process, and is highly stressful. Try and not fall out with your other half and remain focused on the goal, because when you do get the keys and move in it is a fantastic feeling.

Ha! This will certainly be key. The aforementioned conversation on where to buy caused enough tension of it's own - she had unrealistic expectations of what we could afford and I found it difficult to see the potential in fixer-uppers - but we both compromised so have to hope that lesson holds. For the most part at least.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!