The Last of Us - Edge has given this a [10] FYI
  • We know that developers already strictly control what’s going on in playable sections of hands-on, and what we get to see and hear beforehand. Not all of the dialogue is about their relationship to each other.

I’m not saying that’s the definite answer, but I do know that if you want to shock me with something happening to a character, don’t make me acutely aware for months beforehand that that character does not feature in the majority of the game.
  • I get that. For what it's worth, I didn't follow TLOU closely, and came to it after the fact, so i've no idea how my impression of the opening would have changed beyond guesswork. For someone coming in early, though, they may well have had a different reaction.
  • Personally I don't think that his daughter's death was supposed or ever intended to be a surprise shock - I think that the inevitabilty of something can be just as awful, and it was the event that set up the theme of the game and Joel's whole motivation. The fact that you're introduced to Joel through her was a clever device, too.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • That's the impression I got - not so much twist as a quick gut punch. But, like I said, I came in late so I had no idea what the expectation was going in.
  • Personally I don't think that his daughter's death was supposed or ever intended to be a surprise shock - I think that the inevitabilty of something can be just as awful, and it was the event that set up the theme of the game and Joel's whole motivation. The fact that you're introduced to Joel through her was a clever device, too.

I agree, I get the impression from this studio that they're going to tell their story in the way they want to, they aren't going to jump on an opportunity to subvert your expectations just for the sake of it.

I do get what Andy's saying though about going in blind and maybe getting a little more from the story's key moments.

• That's the impression I got - not so much twist as a quick gut punch. But, like I said, I came in late so I had no idea what the expectation was going in.

No multiplayer feels like a quick gut punch.

Want some multiplayer do ya? Like it did ya? Been waiting 5 years for a shinier version have ya? Well fuck off, were making the sp experience the best it can be. Have a punch to the gut.

Admirable really.

• Weird one that. I remember the reaction pre-launch to Uncharted 2 getting multiplayer and the accusations it was being tacked on...then it turned out to be very popular and very good. Since then, Naughty Dog have delivered great single player experiences and similarly polished multiplayer.

But, that whole time they've evidently been a single-player focused studio. I kind of admire the gumption of them saying we had to cut it - it'll be back at some point, in some form, but right now everything is going into the campaign.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Personally I don't think that his daughter's death was supposed or ever intended to be a surprise shock - I think that the inevitabilty of something can be just as awful, and it was the event that set up the theme of the game and Joel's whole motivation. The fact that you're introduced to Joel through her was a clever device, too.

I agree, I get the impression from this studio that they're going to tell their story in the way they want to, they aren't going to jump on an opportunity to subvert your expectations just for the sake of it.

I do get what Andy's saying though about going in blind and maybe getting a little more from the story's key moments.

After Uncharted 4 and TLOU I've a lot of faith in their storytelling. They're good at the emotional beats without it feeling cheap.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Personally I don't think that his daughter's death was supposed or ever intended to be a surprise shock - I think that the inevitabilty of something can be just as awful, and it was the event that set up the theme of the game and Joel's whole motivation. The fact that you're introduced to Joel through her was a clever device, too.
    I agree, I get the impression from this studio that they're going to tell their story in the way they want to, they aren't going to jump on an opportunity to subvert your expectations just for the sake of it. I do get what Andy's saying though about going in blind and maybe getting a little more from the story's key moments.
    After Uncharted 4 and TLOU I've a lot of faith in their storytelling. They're good at the emotional beats without it feeling cheap.

Yar - the story and emotional beats got me through Uncharted 4.

At this point i'm far more likely to bounce off their encounter and enemy design.
  • I've never played a ND multiplayer. Doesn't really interest me, so from an entirely selfish point of view Im glad no resources are being taken away from the SP.
  • I've never played a ND multiplayer. Doesn't really interest me, so from an entirely selfish point of view Im glad no resources are being taken away from the SP.

Mp in the last of us was the biggest surprise.
    It was excellent.
    You should try it Dante.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've never played a ND multiplayer. Doesn't really interest me, so from an entirely selfish point of view Im glad no resources are being taken away from the SP.

• Theres a review on YT (ign) for the new last of us show.

It was glowing in pretty much every department. I can't wait for this to drop now.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Theres a review on YT (ign) for the new last of us show.

It was glowing in pretty much every department. I can't wait for this to drop now.

Just watched that too, looking great.

Edit: Link for folks who want it,
    https://youtu.be/XS3ImpFTxIQ
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Might watch it, even though I think the game is awful crap. I like Pedro Pascal.
  • I still think it should have been Eric Cantona.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Starts Sunday, right? Need to find out if the wife is keen... balls deep in Yellowstone atm though...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Might watch it, even though I think the game is awful crap. I like Pedro Pascal.

He better keep his helmet on or I’m writing to HBO.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Kow wrote:

He better keep his helmet on or I’m writing to HBO.
    That is the way.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I am looking forward to seeing his helmet too.
  • Am I the only one who thinks this should be discussed in the tv thread?

Would never have happened in the EDGE days
    The Forum Herald™
  • Videogames, not Helmets.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • If the first episode doesn’t finish on Joel’s daughter getting shot down at the outbreak start I’ll eat Pedros helmet.
  • She what…?!?!?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I expect the tv show will be lengthy scenes of gameplay with short bits of film in between.
  • Trailer is HOT!

• Going on the reviews you seem to be the only person to think that.

If you want some animation based on video games though deffo check out the cyberpunk one on Netflix it kicks ass
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's a weird was to spell Castlevania/Arcane/Dota

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!