The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • Also released on OG HW of course, as it's already been announced, which will be 6+ years old by then (and was derided for being outdated at launch). Seems like a pretty good innings.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I hope BotW2 runs well. Sections of the first game struggled and I imagine 'make it look nicer' is one of the items on the development checklist. It'd be a shame if that comes at the expense of a stable framerate. I quite like the idea of it launching with a Switch 2 in 2023 tbh.
    Fuck no

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Release it as a current-gen game on the Switch 3.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also released on OG HW of course, as it's already been announced, which will be 6+ years old by then (and was derided for being outdated at launch). Seems like a pretty good innings.

I'm hoping a Switch 2 will follow the PS5/XBox Series of improving performance/graphics on previous gen games. That way it can have a single release across both platforms.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So hard to predict with Nintendo especially as the Switch is a hybrid.

Their handhelds have seen consistent improvement and success over the years while the home systems are an absolute roller coaster of power, gimmicks and sales.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also released on OG HW of course, as it's already been announced, which will be 6+ years old by then (and was derided for being outdated at launch). Seems like a pretty good innings.
    I'm hoping a Switch 2 will follow the PS5/XBox Series of improving performance/graphics on previous gen games. That way it can have a single release across both platforms.

I don't like the idea of mid gen incremental upgrades (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X), but that's kind of what's going on with the Welcome to Next Gen consoles anyway.  Would be a shame if Nintendo were the only company to believe in generations going forward. 

The main thing that bothers me is performance on older HW running like shit (i.e: if I chose not to upgrade I'd end up playing hobbled offerings), but the thing with the Switch is it properly struggles with indies already.  For every good port there's a mess that may or may not receive aftercare patches.  It's done well to give the impression of keeping up, but if you had to stick a Switch pin on a generations power chart wouldn't it sit somewhere between a 360 and a PS4?  Aren't most people's mobile phones slightly beefier these days?
  • The Switch CPU and GPU are souped up versions of what was going into high-end android phones in 2014.
  • Yes. A modern iPhone is probably an order of magnitude more powerful, as these FLOPs are measured, than the Switch.

I'd be hoping for a similar 'in-between' sort of power: 4K capable is probably a must, so it'll be something like between ONE and SERIES S/X, at least in my dreams
  • Thing is, for kids, it still looks spectacular (MK8, BotW, Mario Odyssey), for that kind of super stylised game. Obvs for your Halols and super AAA releases it'll never hold up, but that's not what I play. I'd be very happy with BotW 2 with locked 60FPS with HDR and twice the draw distance and much less pop-up, at 1080p, tbh
  • Yes I know I can pirate that on PC right now but I don't have a PC and don't have the near grand I'd need to get it and don't want the set up hassle and want to play in my living room and want to press play within 3 seconds and want to use switch controllers and also not
  • First party efforts still have the potential to look great (looks like Kirby/Splatoon 3 will, I assume BotW2 will defy logic too), but even those are starting to creak on occasion. Bowser's Fury running at 60fps docked vs 30fps undocked, for example.
  • Absolutely. Surely no-one is happy with the Switch's power these days? I'm no graphics whore but HDR is right up there on my list of must have features
  • I still haven’t forgiven them for the slowdown on Links Awakening.
  • Was it really bad? was thinking of picking that up for kids
  • It’s perfectly playable. I don’t usually notice or care about frame rate drops but it’s really noticeable. Usually entering a new screen brings this juddering effect that takes a couple of seconds to disappear.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Think that's a memory management optimisation issue rather than a raw spec issue. It was originally gonna be a 3DS game and it looks like they never quite nailed the memory management moving between screens once they upgraded the assets to shiny HD.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Could be. Digital Foundry had a look at it but came away not finding much out. Overclocking on CFW helps but the problem is some kind of bottleneck when it's loading up a new scene. Possibly because they're putting some other stuff through the GPU at that point. 
  • Continue to be amazed at bits I either didn't see first time around or have forgotten.

Was worried I'd get bored. Not likely.

Doing the elephant right now. 2 puzzles to solve. Back of the trunk and the big wheel.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The Boy hit the Yiga Clan hideout earlier.  He came into the room crying!  Told him to wait until his sister got home from school and she will help him  Wasn't that bad in the end but he was getting so frustrated on his won that he started crying!

Had to remind him it's just a game, if it gets to him he should just stop and do something else.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • To be fair I was the same at that point.

Its a really shit part of the game. Not just because its a bit rubbish but in a game that is all about exploration and finding different approaches it is incredibly narrow in its design.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    The Boy hit the Yiga Clan hideout earlier.  He came into the room crying!  Told him to wait until his sister got home from school and she will help him  Wasn't that bad in the end but he was getting so frustrated on his won that he started crying!

Had to remind him it's just a game, if it gets to him he should just stop and do something else.

pathetic-rick-mayal-young-ones-krien-rik-poet-gif-16721126.gif
  • I know, right?!  This is the same boy who picked up SFV and then got a perfect on me soon after.  (He made me save the video.)  (Admittedly, I am a bit shit at SFV.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Time to get the drop on him with 6.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    To be fair I was the same at that point.

Its a really shit part of the game. Not just because its a bit rubbish but in a game that is all about exploration and finding different approaches it is incredibly narrow in its design.

It is a shit part, but there are a few ways of doing it no? The bananas make it pretty easy (combined with shit bad guy cone vision), or (once you’re past the first couple) can just go up the ladder and float behind the last guard (after chucking a banana of course) without bothering. Or can brute force it (which i did after learning to hate the blade masters)

Can drop bombs, arrow the fuckers, etc
  • The worst part by far is being chucked at the beginning each time
  • I cant remember, you might be right.
    Its all still fairly close to the same thing tough except brute forcing it.

In the bin with it.
  • Horrible part of the game. There's loads of ways to cheese it quickly though.
  • Austin is convinced there's mods available for this on switch.. one called a randomiser? Is this a thing and if so how do you access it?
    The Forum Herald™
  • PC I think. People play with mods on Youtube maybe.
  • Yeah I assumed it was on PC.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!