Subnautica
  • Playing the upgraded version on ps5. Fuck me what a game so far. Im about three hours in. Its equal parts beautiful and horrific. I dont normally do survival type games but the sci fi setting and wanted to progress the story is doing it for me. Plus there is a more crafted feel to the world.

Im playing with a decent soundbar and a 58inch ambilight and both of those do wonders for the game. Im playing in a dark room, just the tv with the ambilight and it really immerses. It feels sometimes like being underwater, silly as that sounds.

Ill spoiler the rest, I know its early doors but still.
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • There's a lamp on your Seaglide btw. Works best if you turn off the 3D map too. I totally forgot this had a thread.

Quiet chuckle on reading the OP and seeing me reference Cousteau and Zissou, just like I did in my Below Zero review, ha. Never change.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What you're gonna love (maybe) Ninja is if this get's VR'ed on PS5 and PSVR2. It's a bit hacky on PC but the feeling of immersion is stunning. Genuinely feel the depth of the sea below you.
  • Isn't there a pseudo-sequel out for this which revolves around a new frozen alien planet?

Dearly wanted to love the original, but I just couldn't get on with the central mechanic of going down to the sea bed and then having to race up again to the surface to get more oxygen. I applauded its lack of hand holding though.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yes it's called Below Zero and I reviewed it. There's a gadget in it that lets you rocket to the surface in like 6 seconds, which is nice. When you get a vehicle you no longer need to rush to the surface.
  • There is a light? AND you can turn off the poxy 3d map? Nice.....must look into that.

Regarding rushing back to the surface, I upgraded my o2 tanks and get a minute and a half now.

Regarding the VR, I dunno if I could take it. I have a huge fear of water, especially open water so Im on edge playing this even in the shallows. When the quantum explosion happened I nearly shit myself as I expected a huge wave. But then remembered its a game. There wouldnt be. Thank fuck.
  • Been playing this on PS5 for a week or so and I'm really liking the mostly-chill experience.  Also didn't know I could turn off the terrible map-o-gram on the Seaglide.  

It's a bit buggy and the pop in is noticeable but it's a great way to spend an evening.  I accidentally started building my base right next to my landing pod (didn't know I could deconstruct without losing materials for a while) and now have a complex with about 20-25 lockers storing all sorts of crap.  

The deep waters can be terrifying.  It's dark and it constantly sounds like something is about to eat me.  The music is pretty good as well.  I wouldn't be too sure about doing this in VR - I get quite disoriented swimming around the caves and wrecks.  The HUD could do with a plane indicator (although this might be an upgrade...) 

I've just got access to a whole bunch of super upgrades, so looking forward to trying that out this evening.
  • It's fine for experiencing, but the VR in this made me feel pretty sick.
  • Im about 8 hours in at this stage its taken some turns!!

What remains constant though is the terror. More than once Im racing back to the escape pod and night has fallen and its just black under the sea, seamoth lights not picking anything up. Its horrific. Or moving out into deep water and seeing the seabed literally drop off a cliff. Noped out of that every time.
    There is a beacon some 300 meters down and i cannot bring myself to go down there. 

Im currently working on getting materials to
    Spoiler:
  • My base is right next to the escape pod.  I went too far in building it and now I can't be arsed to move it.  

I got really deep into the depths in the seamoth and, even though I was safe with plenty of energy left, I got a slight claustrophobic feeling in this huge cavern that was trapping me at the bottom of the bed.  There really was no need for it but I decided to get out of there.  Not sure how to get back there now that I think of it.  Some good stuff down in the depths if you can bring yourself to go there.  Mod your seamoth before you go.  

The aggressive leviathans are scary.  I don't really like not knowing which way is up, either.

I haven't discovered anything too new for a while so moved on to other games for now.  Not sure if I need to bite the bullet and move my base somewhere better.
  • Uuugh I got caught down a dark cave one too many times in this game....yeah not knowing which was is up is just such a terrible feeling. Must play some more....came across a few Reapers alright....uuugh.......
  • Uuugh I got caught down a dark cave one too many times in this game....yeah not knowing which was is up is just such a terrible feeling. Must play some more....came across a few Reapers alright....uuugh.......
    Yeah, it kids on it's a survival game but its actually a horror
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I've installed the MK3 depth mod for my sea manatee( the tiny sub). I can get down to 900 metres now. I can kinda of cope by hugging the ocean floor as I descend. I still can't swim out in open water.

But in big news I finally built my Cyclops. That thing is a beast. It's so huge. I need to add some mods to it before I use it proper though.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Im about 8 hours in at this stage its taken some turns!! What remains constant though is the terror. More than once Im racing back to the escape pod and night has fallen and its just black under the sea, seamoth lights not picking anything up. Its horrific. Or moving out into deep water and seeing the seabed literally drop off a cliff. Noped out of that every time. There is a beacon some 300 meters down and i cannot bring myself to go down there.  Im currently working on getting materials to
    Spoiler:

Yeah see I am terrified of open water ocean, dunno if I could handle that. Even in Sea of Thieves I'd get the fear when caught out in the ocean.
  • It took time, to go deeper and out further. Staying near the sea floor helps keep a sense of place so I normally keep my eyes low. Much like (But opposite to) mountain climbers not looking down I'd imagine

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!