Album of the Year 2k16 (Ha!)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tom DeLonge quit again, and rather than keep covering for him they just replaced him with Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio. This album sounds basically like smashing those two bands together.

Would it not have been a better idea to smash Blink182 into atoms?
  • No, because I don't like Thom Yorke.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh Dante, whatever will we do with you?
  • So apparently I've only bought five albums released this year. I put that down to parenthood. I stopped buying Q, I don't get as much time to listen. I'm still catching up on 2015.

But of the five albums I bought Drake was shit. Last Shadow Puppets had two good songs and was shit.

So that makes my top 3. In reverse order:

3. Pet Shop Boys - Super (my all time favourite band and I'm going to see them for a third time in Feb.. but the last two three albums have all been a bit patchy.)
    2. Ladyhawke - Wild Thins (loved the debut and recommended by someone on here. Very solid stuff)
    1. Red Hot Chili Pepper - The Getaway (my third all time most listened to band from when I could still be bothered to do lastFM, It's solid but unspectacular and really here by default.)

So that's the list.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Oh, I forgot about Descendants - Hypercaffium Spazzinate.
  • Huff huff huff we r Real Music fan we don leuk Blink 180-poo ha ha we only like Real. Oh bore off.

Anyway, here's my three.

3QE61xb.jpg

TTB_Cov_5x5-HI.jpg

ghostpopestarep.jpg
  • That Jimmy album cover looks like they grabbed it off Stock Photos
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Who's talking about Blink182 being real? My objection is based purely on them being shite. I like Green Day, they aren't any more or less real than Blink182.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That Jimmy album cover looks like they grabbed it off Stock Photos

Yeah it's not their best.

Apologies Yoss just yours and skrats posts reeked of elitism imo. No beef.
  • I was a bit bummed about Matt Skiba joining Blink, as I was always a massive Alk3 fan, but not really a Blink fan.

And yes they are totes different so don't even!

Although last few alk3 albums were pretty bad.
  • So my top three:

1 Gallant - Ology

MOK2ZFX.png

It's not that close for my number one spot. This is a stunning achievement; a debut that makes good on all the promise of the Zebra EP. Gallant is my tip for the next big, big thing in R&B. I know that The Weeknd has an album coming up and even though I love the Weeknd the most of anyone, I don't think anything could top Ology. Here are some of the songs I love:

2 Beyonce - Lemonade

yTeNygp.jpg

Beyonce was one of the best albums of 2013 and this follows up on that album's severe quality. It is extremely personal as many have said and has some really top drawer guest shots, including songs with The Weeknd, James Blake and Kendrick Lamar.

3 Solange - A Seat at the Table

Z2epdq5.jpg

While Beyonce got my number two spot, it was very close for Solange. Clearly a very talented family. This has some really interesting themes and politics to it. Some great songs too.

"Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • My album of the year has been Badlands by Halsey, but that was released in August 2015. I was late to the party.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I keep reading this as albino of the year.
  • The best album I heard for the first time this year was Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris, but I think that was released in 1995.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I keep reading this as albino of the year.

Steve Albini of the year - Steve Albini
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The best album I heard for the first time this year was Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris, but I think that was released in 1995.
    Excellent album. Have you heard much else by Emmylou? All her stuff's great.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Muggins, not heard your number 1 but ayo on both 2 and 3.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Muggins, not heard your number 1 but ayo on both 2 and 3.
    My brother. Give the first track a listen. I think you will enjoy it. Very lush.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Why hasn't tempy started doing the points yet
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The best album I heard for the first time this year was Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris, but I think that was released in 1995.

I've got the full set of 70s albums, but aside from Wrecking Ball nothing she's done on her own since.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've got the full set of 70s albums, but aside from Wrecking Ball nothing she's done on her own since.
    Get this one...
    all%20intendee%20to%20be.jpg

which contains stuff like this...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • £4.75 all in on Amazon, done.

Can sing + Can't sing x Guy Clark = perfection.

• Ah she's just amazing.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    That Jimmy album cover looks like they grabbed it off Stock Photos

Yeah it's not their best.

Apologies Yoss just yours and skrats posts reeked of elitism imo. No beef.
    I'm just taking the piss out of Dante IN GOOD FUN MIND YOU DANTE YR ALRIGHT I AM SHALLOW dunno about Yoss.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • 1. Skeleton Tree (not key) - Nick Cave: Just too amazing. Everything about it is stunning. Listened to it back to back to back etc pretty much for the first week+ it was out. Classic. 

2. Ology - Gallant: See Muggins. All timer of a debut. Epic. Just so big and exciting. The best of modern production, the best of nods to older arrangements and musical sensibilities. Great voice. Catchy as hell tunes. 

3. Colouring Book - Chance The Rapper: Just too much fun. Production is incredible, Chance has an awesome awesome voice, totes summer soundtrack for driving. 

Honourables:

Malibu: Love Paak, and enjoyed this, but don't go back to it as much as the top 3.
    Love and hate - Michael Kiwakuna: Great follow up to classic debut. 
    Blonde - Frank Ocean: Love lots of it, but not sure it's amazing as a whole.
    Let them eat Chaos... - Kate Tempest: Amazing, but so fucking truthbomb cynical that I haven't listened to it enough.
    A Seat at the table - Solonge: Really really good. But nothing that tips me over the edge above the top 3.

Lots of really solid stuff this year, IMO. The rest I mentioned earlier are all good.

HERE could have been classic with some editing.

(Second listen to Common's new one is much more promising too. It's not getting near top three, but it's very good.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good shout on number one face, and now you and muggz on the Gallant train. Gotta get me some
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @Face It's Skeleton TREE!
  • fuck, it is too.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    1. Skeleton Tree (not key) - Nick Cave: Just too amazing. Everything about it is stunning. Listened to it back to back to back etc pretty much for the first week+ it was out. Classic.  2. Ology - Gallant: See Muggins. All timer of a debut. Epic. Just so big and exciting. The best of modern production, the best of nods to older arrangements and musical sensibilities. Great voice. Catchy as hell tunes.  3. Colouring Book - Chance The Rapper: Just too much fun. Production is incredible, Chance has an awesome awesome voice, totes summer soundtrack for driving.  Honourables: Malibu: Love Paak, and enjoyed this, but don't go back to it as much as the top 3. Love and hate - Michael Kiwakuna: Great follow up to classic debut.  Blonde - Frank Ocean: Love lots of it, but not sure it's amazing as a whole. Let them eat Chaos... - Kate Tempest: Amazing, but so fucking truthbomb cynical that I haven't listened to it enough. A Seat at the table - Solonge: Really really good. But nothing that tips me over the edge above the top 3. Lots of really solid stuff this year, IMO. The rest I mentioned earlier are all good. HERE could have been classic with some editing. (Second listen to Common's new one is much more promising too. It's not getting near top three, but it's very good.)
    Big agreement on Michael Kiwakuna, he is the real deal and no mistake.

I love your taste. Thanks for the support.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!