Dream Super Groups
  • davyK wrote:
    We've had a super group that will never be topped - Orbison, Lynne, Harrison, Dylan and Petty. There's a Nobel Laureate in there now.

This is correct.  Aside from The Highwaymen. 

It's a shame neither group fulfilled their close-to unlimited potential, although Tweeter & the Monkey Man is a worldy.
  • Garry Barlow
    Justin Timberlake
    Lee Ryan
    Stephen Gately
    H
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    .....It's a shame neither group fulfilled their close-to unlimited potential.....

Aye but I suppose that's the nature of the beast - at that tier you have too much of your own stuff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kim Deal
    John Carpenter
    Jaki Liebezeit

Let's see what that sounds like...
  • Posh
    Ginger
    Scary
    Baby
    Me
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Scotswahey wrote:
    The Chemical Brothers, Faithless and Massive Attack. P.S I just hit All Discussion. Does anyone actually go by area?

Always.
  • I'm with davyK and Moot.

Also,

Everly Brothers - vox
    Noel Gallagher - guitar
    Brian Wilson - bass
    Stevie Wonder - drums

Everyone writes. Quincy Jones produces.
  • Bit of a sausagefest, these supergroups.
  • Did you miss mine tho po-ro
  • Long live the patriarchy, but srsly could I get a female vocal outfit with the following pls:

Skin
    Kate Bush
    Annie Lennox
    Stevie Nix
    Salt and/or Pepper
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Also just to expand on the possibly tokensitic implementation of Wimminz in my other two groupz

Beth Gibbons - Vox
    Annie Clarke -  Guitar/vox
    Sadie Dupuis - Guitar/vox
    Lætitia Sadier - Keys/guitar/vox
    Anna Prior - Drums/vox
    Kim Gordon - Bass/vox

Imagine how spaced out and fucked up that lot would be, yaaasss.

Edit: changed Calvi to Sadie cos she deserves a spot.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kim Deal would be my Bass/Vox. I can't decide on the rest, I think I might need a football team sized band.
  • Dream 64 piece orchestra gooo!!!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dunno if they're 64 piece but the AUKSO Chamber Orchestra are legit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Long live the patriarchy, but srsly could I get a female vocal outfit with the following pls: Skin Kate Bush Annie Lennox Stevie Nix Salt and/or Pepper

I'd take Spinderella over SorP, especially given as you have vocals already way beyond nailed, maybe room for some bubblegum though, Jacqui Blake??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Other super group:

Bob Dylan
    The Band
    Joni Mitchell
    Neil Young

Basically the cast of The Last Waltz. No Neil Diamond though :D
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Tempy wrote:
    Did you miss mine tho po-ro

I was posting that because Björk and Kim Deal seemed to be the only ladies in the running so far. But then along came the Spice Girls. Which might be progress, of a sort.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Long live the patriarchy, but srsly could I get a female vocal outfit with the following pls: Skin Kate Bush Annie Lennox Stevie Nix Salt and/or Pepper

Strong. Very strong.
  • No Orianthi, what the fuck?
  • poprock wrote:
    Did you miss mine tho po-ro
    I was posting that because Björk and Kim Deal seemed to be the only ladies in the running so far. But then along came the Spice Girls. Which might be progress, of a sort.

Mariah Carey and Peej too
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message

Obviously not an absolute dream group, but there's some scorchers on that stage, Jon Gaunt, Joe Ginsberg, Jenny Owen Youngs, Rocky Votolato, Chuck Ragan and Dave Hause
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That's really good. What is the name of the group?

On a similar note, give this a listen:

"Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    They aren't actually a group, Chuck Ragan organises a regular tour called revival with a bunch of very good alt country artists, this was a few of them just joining in each other's songs
  • Okay here's a slightly offbeat selection:

Lou Reed
    Kanye West
    David Bowie
    Big Boi
    Andre 3000
    Squarepusher
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    We've had a super group that will never be topped - Orbison, Lynne, Harrison, Dylan and Petty. There's a Nobel Laureate in there now.
    This is correct.  Aside from The Highwaymen.  It's a shame neither group fulfilled their close-to unlimited potential, although Tweeter & the Monkey Man is a worldy.
    Yeah the Wilbury's were pretty hard to top, though I agree that their potential wasn't fully realized. Still two nice albums and some terrific vocals from Roy Orbison.

On a side Bob note, does everybody know the story from when Bono sang with him at Slane in 84? They were going through a bunch of songs they could sing together. Bob named a bunch. "Do you know Like a Rolling Stone?" "No." "Do you know Lay Lady Lay?" "No." "Do you know Just Like a Woman?" "No." "Well you must know Blowin' in the Wind! Everybody knows Blowin in the Wind." He didn't. Bono's biographer Neil McCormick describes the incident in Killing Bono, I believe, and makes up some guff about Bono improvising like the Irish poet he is. Luckily we have the recording of the performance and can tell that Bono does not do any justice to himself or the song. It's all very funny.

Anyway anyone interested in a rather good Dylan concert or those who just want to chuckle in glee at Bono making an arse of himself can listen to it here: https://www.mediafire.com/?478ynng56jv1vrz Hat tip to Expecting Rain.
  • Sturgill Simpson - vocals, rhythm guitar
    Gary Clark Jr- lead guitar
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - also lead, trading licks & solos
    Juan Nelson - bass
    Danny Carey - drums

In my head they're performing a particularly funky waily-wahh-wahh version of this:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!