ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dizzy and Skate or Die, so I guess why not, just that I'm not sticking a section for each of the identikit psuedo computers, so include Atari ST and Amiga as well, hello Monket Islnad
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • AJ wrote:
    This is going to get complicated. Take Super Mario Bros. for instance. Best graphics were on the SNES, but the original looks so iconic now that might be better. Then, of course, the Wii U version has save states, so maybe that one. Really, the only versions you can discount are the GBC and Wii versions. Or something. That made more sense in context before I wrote it.

I guess we're gonna just have to go with the flow and see what happens. I'm sure there'll be some heated disagreements but I guess that's half the fun.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Aye, I'm guessing that's half the point in doing this.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Here's my thinking re: arcade ports and games that were bettered on other platforms; by all means vote for them and add them on the list for a particular console, but perhaps we note that a better version exists elsewhere? So Outrun could appear in the MS list, but with (arcade) in brackets after it to show that the definitive version was the arcade (if indeed it was)?

For AJ in regards to the definitive version of Mario Bros: I'd say that save states can be ignored if we are looking at creating a ROM set, they'll all have save states, in which case it's up to you whether you prefer the NES or SNES version. Personally, speaking as someone who never owned either console, I'd go with NES as, even though I never really played it as a child, the music especially from the original has become so iconic that I switched off the SNES version after 5 minutes because I couldn't get on with the new music.

Finally, I support adding C64 and the Amiga to the lists as those were, to my mind at least, the definitive home computers from the 8 and 16 bit eras, and with those two we'd likely cover the definitive versions of the majority of games released in the pre-console era.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, I may be willing to put together actual ROM sets for these, so if a particular release (US, EU, Japan) is the best version, let me know. I'll default to US otherwise.
  • That's a good point about save states. Being for emulsion means we don't need to worry about TV connections or controllers, too.
  • Trying to think of other MS games. Most have been covered already.

I'd add the original Wonderboy as well (very different to the sequels), Secret Command (aka Rambo), Kung Fu Kid, Zillion and Zillion 2, Ys, Kenseiden.
  • Master of Darkness.  Masters of Combat was a late exclusive that the mags loved (Retro Gamer gave it a thumbs up in a two page look-back recently), but RetroK and I played it recently and it felt like it was only impressive in a 'this is pushing the machine' way.
  • Which console gets the California Games?  I remember the MS and Lynx versions being good, but there's probably a better version elsewhere.
  • Master System because that's what I played it on.
  • Master System list should include that snail game really.
  • Snail Maze? How many have actually played it though? Was never released outside of being built in to the MS1.
  • Yeah Snail Maze, that's it. I think it's kinda iconic. Certainly, if you asked me to name 10 MS exclusives, it'd be in there.
  • Hover Bovver on the C64 needs going in. Probably Minters finest after Tempest and the best lawn mowing sim ever made.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Emlyn Hughes International Soccer needs to go in the 8bit computers group.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Which console gets the California Games?  I remember the MS and Lynx versions being good, but there's probably a better version elsewhere.

There's a megadrive version.

• You can't lump all the home computers together though surely? There's a world of difference (and 8 extra bits) between the 8 bits and the 16 bits - amicable and St also had mouse input which greatly increases the game selection.

SFV - reddave360
  • Aye, Amiga/ST is a different generation to C64/Spectrum/Amstrad, even though a lot of games (especially arcade ports) came out on both. The big overlap is because the 8-bit computers were still hanging on into the late 80s despite being very underpowered by then.
  • Ah, the Master System, great memories.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I imagine there's no real point in the C64, Speccy stuff, simply because anything any good was done better at some point later down the line.

I totally disagree there. But maybe that’s just showing my age. I was a computer gamer rather than console, until the Playstation years.
  • The 8-bit computer stuff doesn't really appeal to me, but there's certainly plenty of games that are unique to it if people are interested.

The Ultimate (Rare) stuff is an obvious source - Jetpac, Sabrewulf, Knightlore, Atic-Atac, Nightshade etc.

Also your early platformers like Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy and Chuckie Egg.

We had a BBC so didn't have access to a lot of the games at the time, but those were all available, and of course there was Elite.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    I imagine there's no real point in the C64, Speccy stuff, simply because anything any good was done better at some point later down the line.
    I totally disagree there. But maybe that’s just showing my age. I was a computer gamer rather than console, until the Playstation years.

I got scared of the arms reace, so had a CPC464 at home, and used an Atari ST at school

I'll split out the Amiga and ST into a different list. But I'll be relying on you guys to help me make sure that things end up in the right places
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Amiga and ST are 16-bit. What is going on.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Jaco wrote:
    Amiga and ST are 16-bit. What is going on.

It’s anarchy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It's all about context, I stopped wiring typewriters to tellies in about 1991 and didn't go back until I started posting with you guys so around 2005 I guess. As stated I'll split them out into the other thread after work
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Is there anything on ST that isn't also available on Amiga?

Also, I still think that C64 deserves a place to represent the 8 bit home computers.
  • ST/Amiga did have some exclusives, aye. Anything multi-format, Amiga was usually the choice version. **RUNS AWAY**
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Additional C64 picks:

Micropose Soccer 
    Rambo First Blood Part 2
    Laser Squad
    The Great Escape
    Barbarian
    Last Ninja (2 I think was the best of them)
    Shoot em up construction Kit - (odd choice I know but it was quite amazing for the c64, very flexible)
    Head over Heels
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Is there anything on ST that isn't also available on Amiga? Also, I still think that C64 deserves a place to represent the 8 bit home computers.

Have you even looked at the OP? It's up there along with the others, which will get split out later. I'm not playing console wars with computers that were already on their last legs by the time I got to play on one in around 1989. So for the time C64 can share the limelight with the Amstrad and Speccy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!