GameFast 2017 - MADE IT!!
  • The point is that you don't need to buy them to keep up. You do need to buy a Switch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    *returns to Zelda on Wii U*
  • How does Snipperclips play on your Wii U?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't know what that is, nor do I care.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The point is that you don't need to buy them to keep up. You do need to buy a Switch.

Surely it depends what "keeping up" means.  For some people it's more than just the set of games.  Perhaps not for you, but for some.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    *returns to Zelda on Wii U*

Good answer. Whilst I love playing handheld, it's not essential. For now, Switch is a luxury. I managed to pay for it all using money from eBay sales.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The point is that you don't need to buy them to keep up. You do need to buy a Switch.
    Surely it depends what "keeping up" means.  For some people it's more than just the set of games.  Perhaps not for you, but for some.
    Yup. The fact that you say you 'need' a Switch (joking or otherwise) shows that you're familiar with the idea of people feeling they need to keep up. One man's "Zelda on a hybrid" essential is another man's "Tomb Raider in 4K HDR" essential.
  • The point is that you don't need new hardware to play Tomb Raider. You do to play Snipperclips. So if you want to play that game, you need the new hardware.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So Snipperclips is some sort of game is it?
  • Well, only Jon can tell us what he meant, but the fact that he included the Pro and Scorpio surely suggests that they are very much part of the problem he sees. It's not whether or not you can play Snipperclips (and I doubt it'll be long before it's available on other platforms) it's whether you're allowed to be satisfied with what you've got. The way these upgrades are marketed (including a lot of the free marketing that websites, YouTube channels and lifestyle magazines do for all products) tries to undermine that satisfaction. If you can see past that, keeping up seems less desirable because of the increasingly short time you'll have before you're told that your new thing is inferior.
  • Yes, I think it covers different ideas of what keeping up means. For some it may be always having the latest thing (which may even include TVs, sound systems, VR, special editions), for others it may simply be having access to all games.

Either way, I'm glad I'm out of all that. I regret doing it back in the SNES/MD, PS1/N64 days to the extent I did, but now the demands are even higher.

There are still certain games I find hard to resist, but mostly I end up playing things some time after the initial release and getting just as much out of them as others seem to (perhaps more because I can take my time) (I don't really do MP stuff so that helps). Once I decided that the kick of having 'new thing' wasn't worth it, it wasn't hard to adapt.
  • Having said that, Muzzy has picked the wrong year to quit buying games. It's been a real test already.
  • JonB wrote:
    Having said that, Muzzy has picked the wrong year to quit buying games.

He really did.

I rarely tried to "keep up" in my youth - I just didn't have the income to do so. That said, I've bought a fair few games on release in the past couple of years - though, to be fair, I don't buy a game on launch unless I'm already interested in it, it's more to do with having some really interesting titles about of late.

• Nothing is ever set in stone with me, but I do try to separate day 1 games from someday games.  3D Mario games I'll get at launch, stuff like NeiR I'll get when it's cheap.  The list of must-have day 1 games is getting smaller, but it still very much exists.  I'd planned to wait until whenever for Horizon, but then a chalice opportunity arose and I'm already in, so the goalposts move about anyway.  Better graphics aren't for me though (in terms of upgrading a console I already own to get 'em); certain PS4/Bone games look outstanding imo, plus my TV is bottom range HD.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Having said that, Muzzy has picked the wrong year to quit buying games. It's been a real test already.

Yup I'm glad we've condensed it down to the true essence of this debate. Ergo plato I'm a moron.

Sad times.

What's your FY17 wishlist Jon? You're still playing last year stuff at the mo aren't you?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    What's your FY17 wishlist Jon? You're still playing last year stuff at the mo aren't you?
    I am. Still got a few things to get through.

Nier is probably top of the list atm.
    Then Persona 5, assuming it's really good.
    Then Horizon, Resi 7, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, in that order.
    Mass Effect is a possibility.
    Zelda would be high on the list, but I won't be buying a Nintendo machine soon.

And that takes us to early April!
  • JonB wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I am. Still got a few things to get through.

Nier is probably top of the list atm.
    Then Persona 5, assuming it's really good.
    Then Horizon, Resi 7, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, in that order.
    Mass Effect is a possibility.
    Zelda would be high on the list, but I won't be buying a Nintendo machine soon.

And that takes us to early April!

Identical to me, pretty much.
  • I'm gonna do mine, even though I wasn't asked.  Not including the handful of 2016 games I'm waiting on prices for (Hyperlight, Thumper, Superhot, Battlefield I campaign, Titanfall 2 campaign):

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Mario Odyssey: Day one, get out my way.
    Zelda: Sort of day one (I own the cart).    
    Cuphead, Mario Sports Megamix & Yooka Laylee: Probably day one, probably day one and possibly day one respectively.
    NieR, Halo Wars 2, Yakuza 0 - Waiting on hefty price drops, might not happen with Yakuza unfortunately.
    Keeping an eye on: Mass Effect, Ghost Recon, Little Nightmares.  Don't need them day one.
    Shenmue III and Spiderman PS4: 2017 lel.  On the radar though.

Nioh, For Honor and Resi have been relegated to the looking-good-but-will-probably-pass-me-by tier.  I expect I'd have at least attempted to play Nioh in another year.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Nioh, For Honor and Resi have been relegated to the looking-good-but-will-probably-pass-me-by tier.  I expect I'd have at least attempted to play Nioh in another year.
    Yeah, some of those on my list are going to pass me by, I don't have time for them all. Could probably have added Yakuza in there as well somewhere.

I haven't really looked further ahead at all. Red Dead 2 and Mario are of little interest at this stage though.
  • RDR2 is one of the most exciting prospects for years for me.  It'll be yet more more open world gubbins, but I'm gradually learning to stop worrying and love them.  Plus I've only got one book left of Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove quadrilogy, so I'm positively frothing with anticipation already.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm glad we have wishlists going on, was wondering about creating a thread for them.

Here's mine -

Resi 7
    Nier
    Horizon
    Mass effect (probably eventually)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm glad we have wishlists going on, was wondering about creating a thread for them.

Here's mine -

Resi 7
    Nier
    Horizon

No Persona?!
  • Slacker, McFly!!!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just had a FFXII email. And seen moot write about R&C. And had Horizon stare at me in Sainsburys. Challenging times.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There's also this thing called Zelda.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lalalalalaa can't hear you
  • NieR is all sorts of awesome.
  • I hear good things about Dead Space, and you have the entire trilogy, Muzz.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Here's mine -

Resi 7
    Nier
    Horizon

No Persona?!

I've got that one on lockdown on order m8. Cmon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't be a on a wish list of its reaaall

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!