Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • I'm a Newcastle fan who couldn't give two fuck's who wins the league or is relegated because despite big Steve's best efforts we're going to finish in mid table mediocrity, but you can't change the rules mid season.
    Of course you can.You can have chimpanzees playing if you want. Its just sport.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You're daft.
  • F1 laughs at your so-called midseason rule changes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Big difference between F1 and Football seasons though isn't there?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It is a minor change that will be equal for all across the rest of the season. But then Im not a Man U fan desperate for the season to be canned so they can get an undeserved CL spot.

Why would we get a CL spot? The only way we can qualify is by either finishing 4th or winning the Europa League, all of which involve finishing the season.

It doesn't matter even if it were equal for all across the rest of the season, which isn't true anyway, as some teams have more games to play than others, we aren't starting from an equal point now. 

I don't see how allowing 2 more substitues is a "minor change" either.
  • Because Man City can't qualify.
    Its a minor change, they aren't asking clubs to play in a swimming pool or switching the football for a beach ball. Its minor.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Because Man City can't qualify.
    Its a minor change, they aren't asking clubs to play in a swimming pool or switching the football for a beach ball. Its minor.

Its anything but minor. Any team that goes down if the season is completed could sue the premier league as the final points tally would be taken from two different set of rules. Say if Bournemouth go down and there is no more VAR. How many goals rules out by VAR earlier in the season for Bournemouth could have kept them up? Or final game of the season Sheff Utd after 85mins are in a champs league spot and Man Utd in a seperate game bring on subs 4 and 5 who get them the goals that guarantee them 4th spot. How is that fair or the same competition. Its not. Its bullshit is what it is. Its the desperation of the PL and other leagues to get paid their TV money from the broadcasters. I hope the many players who are is threatening to refuse to return to football (while covid is sp prevalent) do so just to add to the farce of football.
  • I dont know if you noticed but we are in the middle of a pandemic and some things are a bit different.
    Things will need to be done differently at times. If a club thinks they went down because the garbage that was VAR wasnt used later or that there were more subs allowed and the end of the season they are fucking deluded.

Even in a normal season there is no perfectly fair season due to scheduling.

If you are rejecting everything but the perfect solution then it will never happen. The fucking outrage at every suggestion but the one that sees Man U in the CL is hilariously transparent.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Because Man City can't qualify. Its a minor change, they aren't asking clubs to play in a swimming pool or switching the football for a beach ball. Its minor.

They're appealing, and it will go to CAS, which means no chance they are banned next season.
  • Livdiv, i dont care if utd make champs league or not. If we deserve it we will if not we wont. Its tired and cliched to go down the utd route. Your better than that.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I dont know if you noticed but we are in the middle of a pandemic and some things are a bit different.
    Things will need to be done differently at times. If a club thinks they went down because the garbage that was VAR wasnt used later or that there were more subs allowed and the end of the season they are fucking deluded.

Even in a normal season there is no perfectly fair season due to scheduling.

If you are rejecting everything but the perfect solution then it will never happen. The fucking outrage at every suggestion but the one that sees Man U in the CL is hilariously transparent.

Its even more deluded to try to bring football back during a pandemic.
  • To finish the season why dont we change the rules to the Wartime League rules, so clubs field whatever players are available?
  • I’d imagine they’d negate any likelihood of legal action by getting the teams to vote for it. If the vote carries democratically, then the 1-9 teams that disagreed have no leg to stand on. They all have an equal say.

Getting football back and trying to safeguard each club’s finances will be of more importance.

Worth adding here that I’ve long held the view that voiding the season is the only real option. But having listened to the CPFC Chairman, I don’t think that’s going to be financially viable and now it comes down to how quickly they can all agree to return, but only when it’s safe to do so. Those concessions highlighted will be part of making it safer.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Everyone knows there's a pandemic on Liv, stop being daft for a minute. If you can't continue the league under the same rules as it started then it needs to be abandoned.

If a team gets the benefit of an offside call or whatever without VAR then there's a shit storm. Two extra subs is even more nebulous but just as unfair. Why can't the Covid 19 riddled players just be treated as any other injured player? They're not going to be tested mid game are they?
  • Won’t someone think of the integrity?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's a multi million pound industry. The clubs that get relegated could go out of business, especially in the current climate.
  • monkey wrote:
    Won’t someone think of the integrity?

Ah, I see you've played SPL 2011-12 before.
  • There’s no easy answer so I don’t mean to sound dismissive.

While I wouldn’t mind having some live football to break up the monotony, I’d prefer them to not bother starting football at all for the time being. Seems like it should be more towards the back of the queue rather than one of the first things to happen.

There isn’t a way to complete the league that’s fair. Do it now and there’s problems. Wait and there’s problems. Messing with the rules now isn’t fair. Cancelling the league isn’t fair. Starting again in 6 months or a year isn’t fair. Some teams are always going to draw the short stick. The solution I favour is the one that punishes Man Utd the most.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    End the season, the teams are where they are. The winners, promoted, and European competition qualifiers work as normal. No one gets relegated this season, double relegations next season.
  • How do you account for the play offs?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Don't.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Automatic promotion only
  • Clubs are in a difficult situation. They need to show the broadcasters that they are doing everything they can to get the game going again so they can get their tv money because they rely on it so heavily.

Ideally the government would step in like in holland and france and say no football till September and even then we will review it again at that time. This takes the pressure off the clubs as they can go back to the broadcasters and say "Hey we tried but government said no, can we have own money now?"

Unfortunately in this country the gov have fecked up the handling of the pandemic so need a distraction for the masses hence bring football back and who cares about the welfare of the footballers and the support staff. Do it for your country bollocks.

Ps. I stole all this from some journalists podcast so none of it is my own thinking.
  • Apologies for being a bit arsey/sarcy earlier.

Does anyone know the exact legal standing on what ends a league? Is it after all games played or based on schedule?

This weekend would have been the last fixtures right?
  • Automatic promotion only

So you mean you only promote 2 teams?

Liv, I suspect the answer is 'there isnt really an answer', because the only other time this happened was the breakout of war in Europe.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Automatic promotion only

Liv, I suspect the answer is 'there isnt really an answer', because the only other time this happened was the breakout of war in Europe.

And it was early enough in the season to scrap it. And the clubs weren't utterly reliant on TV money to pay unrealistic wages.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Automatic promotion only

OK, scrap the season then. Or play in neutral stadiums, or do one of the other dozen things that's been suggested. None of them seem acceptable to you though so I'm not sure what you want to happen.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Neutral grounds is acceptable to me. Still the same game played to the same rules. They'd be behind closed doors anyway.
  • Sorry another question.
    Do TV channels buy the rights to a set amount of games or a percentage of games played that season?

What would be the consequences of cancelling the season? Would TV channels have to be reimbursed/not pay money owed? I suspect they would as Sky, Virgin and BT have allowed customers to put their sports subs on hold.
  • I was clarifying if you meant promote 2 teams, or give the third spot to the 3rd placed team.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!