Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Was she talking about attendance like?
  • It could be mentality wise. She’s managed teams who have won things and don’t have to make do with whoever.
  • SPL is a step down from League 1.

tenor.gif
  • Just joking. There's obviously a lot of nuance to both our sides.
  • Interesting one. The actual football itself...who wins between AFC Wimbledon and Chelsea Women?

But the mentality thing Crayon brings up. She's winning everything domestically with Chelsea. She could even challenge for Europe with the team she has. Near the pinnacle of the women's game, week in week out, well funded, well attended, etc.

To AFC Wimbledon. I can see how under certain lights that looks like a step down.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think the level of football being played is the key, isn't it? The rest of it is much of a muchness I suppose, that's why the likes of Ole raised eyebrows when he came in from Molde because that too was seen as a step up.

As for who wins between them, it's the men. Didn't the England women's team get turned over from a boy's youth team? Under 16s or something?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    SPL is a step down from League 1.

tenor.gif

:D
  • I think the level of football being played is the key, isn't it? The rest of it is much of a muchness I suppose, that's why the likes of Ole raised eyebrows when he came in from Molde because that too was seen as a step up.

As for who wins between them, it's the men. Didn't the England women's team get turned over from a boy's youth team? Under 16s or something?

She is at the peak of her industry with access to the best performers in her field.

She will have to do a completely different job for people who are relative cloggers (if they’ve sacked their manager).

Maybe it’s a softer job to be managing winners but the challenge is completely different to digging out relegation contenders - and let’s face it unless she impresses in minute one it’s doomed.

Just because men have a greater physicality doesn’t mean that the players in Wimbledon will have the right attitude and she would probably have little room to manoeuvre in terms of recruitment after the window has shut (and who knows if she even has the right contacts - she can’t exactly wheel out her Rolodex like Allardyce can because the people she contacts are a completely different set)

It’s a huge risk to take to be a pioneer when given what looks like a hospital pass job which looks doomed to failure anyway.

I imagine there are far more attractive jobs in America.
  • Never knew what a Rolodex was, thanks Crayon!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • As much as anything, leaving the top job in women's football for AFC wimbledon...the risk is you don't 'succeed' at wimbledon and are tarred forever and it blamed on being a woman.
    Thing is you could probably drop the likes of Pep/Jose/Klopp into that AFC Wimbledon team now and no guarantee they won't have a 'mare with it.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If they cocked it up they won’t have to drag any baggage about how even the best man can’t do the job therefore what can any man do.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I dunno about that to be honest. The difference between a good manager (Rafa) and a shit one (cabbage) is stark even if the points totals ended up quite similar. I think if a good manager was to drop down to that level then you'd see the difference in the way the team plays. They'd still be poor quality players in comparison to the top level but the manager would get the best out of them, improve them.

If that's not true we're basically saying a monkey could do Pep's job given Man City's resources, and I don't think that's remotely the case.
  • that's not quite what i'm saying.

but if pep drops to league 1/2, would he know which players are worth signing? he wouldn't have the resources for the scouting and analysis he's used to. could he sign them if he identified them? if he starts to implement his playing philosophy with a lesser team, will that immediately see benefits in terms of results? or would you get patches of better football but a weaker team overall because the players don't have the technical/physical attributes to do it well enough?
    then, lose a half dozen games on the spin, in the relegation zone, Pep gets sacked. Bring in Bruce, who plays some crap old school football but gets a couple of jammy wins and they stay up, and he's the hero.

an added bonus for the likes of Pep too is the respect for them from players, who would want to go to their team even if it is shit/less money. With greatest respect I doubt many male pros would jump at the chance to be managed by Hayes coming from women's football.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Managing the team rather than one of the teams seems like a step up.
  • We’re two nil up but I’ve felt terrified the whole half.
  • Brighton have a chance, no alisson.
  • Brighton have a chance, no alisson.

Or Mane.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Liverpool did alright without him.
  • This Liverpool performance is great.
  • Liverpool look absolutely clueless when a team defends.
  • Lingard has been revitalised under Moyes!
  • We’re so bad against a low block. Last season we got it done because of set pieces and taking the chances we got, as well as mistakes from the opposition and some absolutely brilliant delivery from the fullbacks. This season set pieces are out and we’re not getting any luck. But also. Our final ball AND our finishing is abysmal. Just so bad. And without Jota we’ve got no other options. Injuries have killed us all over the pitch. A nightmare of a season.
    GT: Knight640
  • It does seem to be a combination of issues as you said. Q. Why are liverpool playing centre midfielders in central defence and not their reserve fullbacks (the stand ins for trent and robertson)?

City at home next, then leicester away and then merseyside derby. Gonna be interesting...
  • Liverpool need their best passer in cb. This is the klopp Liverpool system.

I feel like Liverpool really need to stop slowly progressing upto a low block. It basically kills most of Salahs skills.
  • The goalie had a nightmare in the Villa game.
  • I like Lingard, even though I'm at peace with the fact that his time in Manchester is over. If he can get his confidence up he could be a v.good PL player. He's scored some of our best goals over the past ten years and he's got all sorts in his locker. Hugely inconsistent and I've never been quite sure what his best role is but I never disliked the guy, happy for him.
  • Another one down. Still unbeaten in the league, one goal conceded at home all season, seven total. We are fucking class. Scotlands premier team doing the biz.

https://pointsto55.com/
  • Knight wrote:
    We’re so bad against a low block. Last season we got it done because of set pieces and taking the chances we got, as well as mistakes from the opposition and some absolutely brilliant delivery from the fullbacks. This season set pieces are out and we’re not getting any luck. But also. Our final ball AND our finishing is abysmal. Just so bad. And without Jota we’ve got no other options. Injuries have killed us all over the pitch. A nightmare of a season.
    They probably got more from the full press as well, which they haven't been able to keep up this season. It was great watching the front 3 stop defenders playing out, now they tend to drop back more often. The full-backs also seem to be receiving the ball to feet more, rather than running behind.

I suppose it's a combo of the energy spent in the last few seasons, the demands of this season and the injuries. They can't keep up the same playing style. Man City seem to have adapted better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!