Song for the day.
  • i can frequently get first spot, i think i'll keep it mixed up, and endlessly faulty
  • Can I pretend I'm in a different time zone and jump the queue?  Otherwise I'll never be about to post first in the day! ;) edit: there's no 'video', it just goes black, and the start is quiet, so don't think it's broken!
    that's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not fair.  especially given that i had to wait two days for my turn...
    www.prankster101.com
  • We took a vote. Your track was deemed to be unfit for human consumption.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    We took a vote. Your track was deemed to be unfit for human consumption. regards g.man
    tyranny of the majority.

i'll have you know that despite the lack of class that has been evidently displayed on this thread today, that song by 16 horsepower got 193 likes and only 3 dislikes on youtube.

the highest rated comment stated that the song is "Beautiful. It is interesting that Dylan resonates with a band like 16 HP, he is able to channel the universal desires of humanity in such a way that it sounds Christian, but to other ears it may be ecumenical. Very subtle. Thank you for posting".

if that makes you believe that my track is deemed unfit for human consumption, then so be it.  it's your opinion.  but the people who voted lack taste, and sufficient knowledge of underground music - not everything has to be compared to u2, you know.  i remember the days when even muse were being likened to u2, and that's only because they lacked sufficient popularity/stature within the industry.

on amazon.com, the album has received 4.8 out of 5 stars (from 22 reviews - of which 18 people gave the album 5/5).  

the most helpful review on amazon.com states:
    On this, their third full-length studio album, Sixteen Horsepower has proved what their long-time fans have always known: no one else is doing this kind of music quite this well! The musical landscape of Secret South is something akin to the Appalachian woods: deep and complex. There are so many layers here that you will find something new nearly every time you experience these eleven songs. Frontman, David Eugene Edwards, who says he wrote this album at the piano, has set aside many of the instruments that made their sound so unique in the past. What do we have left? One incredible piece of artistry.
    What may strike loyal fans as something a bit different is the change in mood on this album. There are far fewer pot-boilers here as there were in the past. Sure "Clogger" kick-starts the album with some real fire, but the sustaining 'feel' of the whole project is more of water rising to a rolling boil. "Cinder Alley" and "Splinters" (two of my early favorites here) are great examples. To compare the beginning and ending of the songs you might not have guessed Edwards and co. would `go there.' These guys, instead of torching gasoline-soaked bonfires like they have in the past, turn up the flame slowly. Soon the songs are well-ablaze. "Strawfoot" is a great example of how you may find yourself listening intently at the subtle beginning but soon discover your toes are tapping.

What I hear here is the sound of a group of musicians who have matured to the point of restraint. They have proven they can rock many times in the past, and with great success! Here the musical artistry is more controlled and, as a result, becomes even more beautiful. The addition of strings has provided a 'lushness' in places that was missing before. Dare I say it, 16hp at times sound elegant!

Lyrically these songs are as gripping and unforgettable as ever. "Praying Arm Lane" and "Poor Mouth" are among the finest pieces David has ever written. Familiar denizens of the dark land where 16hp is wont to inhabit are back for return appearances: Christ, Satan, persevering saints and woe-begone sinners. Of special note here are several references to Narnia (in "Clogger," "Splinters" and "Just Like Birds"). Witness the power of a redeemed imagination in David's tremendous writing. It rarely gets any better than this!

One song I keep going back to is "Nobody 'Cept You," the Dylan cover. This has been a favorite of those who have seen 16hp live, but now we have it for keeps! Thanks, guys! For me Secret South proves right (once again) those of us who consider ourselves 16hp "pushers." We traffic in their music. We even try to get our friends addicted, and sometimes it works! I consider Secret South tremendous ammunition for spreading the fame of my favorite band. Let's just pray they don't stay such a secret much longer.

the next "most helpful review" confirms this by stating that "One of the treasures of this album is the inclusion of their Bob Dylan cover "Nobody 'Cept You," which they truly make their own".

don't believe me, then take a look at metacritic which gives the album 82%

anyway, you guys are free to make up your own mind, but i know what i believe.  16 horsepower were an amazing band.
    www.prankster101.com
  • You clearly missed the part where we made up our minds.

it's rubbish

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    You clearly missed the part where we made up our minds. it's rubbish g.man
    I clearly didn't miss much.  A one-eyed dog is still blind...

But think what you will...
    www.prankster101.com
  • ...um...a one eyed dog is not blind Prankster.

regards

g.man
  • Bloody hell

Look Pranky your song was rubbish. Don't be a tit about it.
  • Shit, opinions happen eh? Whodda thunk it.

I love that "Hey, these reviews agree with me so I MUST be right!" mentality. Instead of thinking "Hey, these guys agree with me so that's pretty cool!" which would be far more sensible.

Reminds me of an argument I had on DiS with a mental who thought I was being an idiot for stating that Lana Del Rey's album would have been better if it had been shorter (not that it was great) because 16 songs was too much for a pop album. He said that hypothesizing on a different length was idiotic because it was the length it was. What a twerp.

Anyway, sorry Pranky I don't like your song although the guitar line is interesting in its difference.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah comedy gold, this thread has already paid for itself.
  • I like that he moans about 'tyranny of the majority' and then says we're all wrong because everyone else thinks something else.
  • Figures it'd be Kid Pariah that lost his shit over an exercise of slim to no consequence.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's over on the other forum claiming dinosaurs and dodos died out because they refused to evolve and stagnated. Maybe he's a truly great comedian of Kaufman proportions.
  • He's no Songer.

Though I dare say that's not a million years off.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Tea Party wasn't bad, just not really my sort of thing.

I'm a fan of The Big Finish, but the rock strings here seemed to be both big and small at the same time. Also suspicious they were hiding some sins and it would have been better overall without them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hiding some sins?
  • i thought i killed Pranky on the other forum?

Also, to be fair to the tea party, that song isn't reflective of their material in general, so if you do have an interest in finding a hidden gem in the 'rock' pool, you could do worse than check out some of their other stuff (earlier albums for very eclectic, later for more 'mainstream' ish).  However, I'm not gonna go all Pranky on you and tell you you're all cunts for not appreciating it as a fucking amazing song...you'll probably realise it yourself on your deathbeds! ;)
    And without wanting to turn this into a 'you must love the tea party' post, for Mod and Kow (maybe), here is the singer (Jeff Martin) singing it acoustic, then blends it into 'Hurt' (more like the much better johnny cash version) before bringing it back for 'The Big Finish'* - so no rock strings hiding anything.

*First time I read Mod's post I thought he was referring to a band! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    YOU CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER TUNE GET RID OF IT
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I SECOND THAT, LET SOMEONE ELSE HAVE A GO!

Just tried listening to the 16 Horsepower album, it takes a serious mental effort to remember that you are listening to it. On the bright side I don't feel inclined to kill them all.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Already forgotten how requiem started, all I remember is the ending with the guy smugly moaning about his requiem over rousing strings, and me thinking he's a douchebag.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    This one just has to be here:

It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Hey remember when the B-52s did this and it was way better.
  • monkey wrote:
    I like that he moans about 'tyranny of the majority' and then says we're all wrong because everyone else thinks something else.
    the deal was i get to have my song played for the day.  having someone else play a song before the day is up is not only incredibly disrespectful, but also conveys a complete disregard for the rules.  can people please play fair and not take a "vote" (by a vocal minority - yes, it was only about 5 people out of 200+) when it suits them?

i took my shit down when it became apparent that i had jumped the gun.  so why was the tea party played on my designated day?

you don't like my shit, then don't listen to it then.  i stood by after brooks told me to shut it earlier.  how would everyone like it if i suddenly started jumping in, hijacking their day (and their turn)?
    www.prankster101.com
  • Brooks, tell him to shut it.

regards

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    Brooks, tell him to shut it. regards g.man
    that's bullshit, and you know it.

i appreciate that your taste is different to mine, but if i wanted to be a complete cunt (like you and the others have been), then i would have played some shitty pop song - probably that frog song from that advert or something.  or even something that featured in the x-factor.
    www.prankster101.com
  • Brooks!
  • Prunko have a care for your fellow human beings and behave in this thread please.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Prunko have a care for your fellow human beings and behave in this thread please.
    no, i did care.  that's the point of it all.  if i didn't care, i would have played some crappy song that wouldn't have been fit for human consumption.  and if i didn't care, then i would have completely disregarded what kow said to me on 19 may.  i played by the rules, damnit.  it's not me who has broken the social contract.

critically, my choice of song has received numerous plaudits from both fans and critics alike.  if you check out 16hp's album reviews, you'll find that it is highly regarded, and was warmly received by pretty much everyone.  the reason why i chose "nobody cept you" is because even though i often give the impression that i don't care, i very often do.

you say that i should have a care for my fellow human beings and behave in this thread, when it's become increasingly apparent that this is the type of behavior that only i am expected to uphold (in what is increasingly becoming a one-sided dialogue and relationship).  

it's hard trying to care for your fellow human beings give a shit, and behaving in a thread where some have acted contemptuously towards me, and shown a complete disregard for my own feelings.

have a fcuking heart.

and on that note:  i have nothing more to say...  save for the matter that i now consider this matter closed, and that the people who broke the rule did so only because i happened to be the one posting a song, and because it suited them.  which is "convenient".

don't bother responding to this, as i won't be responding to it back.
    www.prankster101.com
  • if i didn't care, i would have played some crappy song
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Hey remember when the B-52s did this and it was way better.

I do remember. This is also from the early eighties. But japanese, and even more female.
    but if i wanted to be a complete cunt (like you and the others have been), then i would have played some shitty pop song

Just wanted to let you know that I have a cunt, but I never let it constitute all that I am or could be. I'm nice, and cycling is fun.
    It's a world of truck drivers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!