Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Most video content is just written content but turned into a video. Even a handful of token gestures towards displaying examples isn't the same as the work put into the best video essays, which are often totally wordless.

I always try and edit to reinforce but a lot of people, even those with a lot of subs, just don't bother. 

I guess the reason why people do videos instead of articles is because they take effort, and you hope your effort is rewarded. People basically ignore blogs these days, but even though youtube is over saturated it's easier to compel via video and audio - you can convince with words, but it's easier to be won over through voice. Also as I say, people always sick 'em on in the background.

Also there's no gatekeeping on youtube, but getting a written article published is like pulling teeth.

Oh aye, I wasn't saying 'Go and write for Edge instead' or anything, but some games, and the points you want to make about them, will never be suited to a video.

And I get that YouTube is a great way to reach more people, just wish that more people gave it some thought and effort. Pewdiepie being a heavy hitter in that realm upsets me, the thought that people will copy his style due to his success even more.
  • I always bang on about Mark Brown, but his Zelda stuff is exactly the kind of thing that makes great use of its format. 

You could do the same thing with diagrams in an academic paper or whatever, but it works so well on video.
  • Roujin wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    My favourite video ever is Stoph's Pip-Boy unboxing.
    OMFG YASSS

The shame. 
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    ^Has it all. Stockpharage syndrome.

I'd rip all of the joy out of games with mechanics talk. I do prefer the Twitch style of casual playthroughs, maybe with a few bits you've in mind to mention here and there. In terms of YouTube, I like the outfits with multiple faces: Level Up Your Game for Tekken stuff; Red Letter Media if Rich is there...
  • Cheers for the feedback guys, especially Tempy.

The mic I used to record with is a piece of crap, a Behringer XM1800S which cost me £26 for three of them. I now have a Rode Procaster though. I did stand for the recording, and now I think about it, I did gesture, but I probably do need to work on projecting better.

I do go a bit fast at points, I'm concious of trying to slow down, but doesn't always work, but hopefully that will come with practice.

I do use Audacity, and I do have a pop filter. Like everything else bar the new mic it was quite cheap though. I used Windows Movie Maker to make the video, which is very basic, and doesn't even seem to do fades. I also downloaded Lightworks which made my head explode, so I closed it.

Thinking about what I can make next, as I procrastianted over this one for far too long.
  • Try Sony Vegas, or Camtasia, I think the latter is free.
  • The video making thing sounds like fun, but not something I'd ever get round to unfortunately.

My Youtube (badger farmer) is just share button stuff - boss fights and other interesting bits from recent gaming. I really appreciate the feature on the new consoles. Great to be able to rewatch those eventual triumphs on Bloodborne or whatever.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good video Dante and Tempy pretty much covers everything with his feedback.

Only thing I would add to this specific video is to make it clear up front there are going to be spoilers. With this kind of game the discovery is everything so maybe have a message flash up and a comment from yourself stating that they have like 10 seconds before you get into spoiler territory and you won't get any negative comeback from some people who, let's face it, love to have a moan.

Also Stoph, yes this was sheer class when I first watched it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!