Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • I got to chapter 9 and then work and life got in the way. Stupid life.
    Hoping to play some more tonight
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It took a while, but it’s finally here....

0Kqo4Yw.jpg
    vxPfmj7.jpg
    wVqNGxa.jpg
    HBz8rQq.jpg
    Rt9bxPS.jpg
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Since finishing Cyberpunk I've been back hoovering this up, and I am now in the fabled chapter 12. I've done the first thing with money (which was pretty easy given I had cleared the Ichiban Holdings game) and now I know I need to go in a taxi to do a thing, which I suspect is where this wall of grind comes in.

I'm trying to avoid any guides in case of spoilers, so for those who have done it, can you let me know how much I should do to get ready for it?

My ichiban is level 59 and my other main party (eri, saeko and nanba) are all 54-55. I've been mailing Nanba's host job, Saeko's Idol and Eri's base one, which has given me a good mix of magic, healing and glass cannon. Ichiban is the tank, as I've kept him as hero.

Any advice for job changes or how many levels to grind appreciated.
  • I'm on the early stages of chapter 13, and I think I finished chapter 12 with a whole team around lv.54-ish (after doing ok on my first lv.46 run). 
    Survival wasn't the issue in the end, but the grind was that my team (Saeko, K-pop, Eri) weren't doing enough damage, so the battle dragged on a bit. Maybe invest in weapons if you haven't already?

I found Eri as idol is good as she seems to have higher MP(?) for more frequent healing (or maybe I just like Saeko as Night Queen...)
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Man what a fucking ride I've had through chapter 12. Makes me regret not sticking it in the top 5 goty list.

Did that fight (that fucking fight!) first time round, which was tough, but Nanba's insane Champagne-Campaign sorted it out pretty easily (also the funniest move in the game)

The music slapped hard during chapter 12 fights (work it / fix it / rock it)

And then there's that moment of the punch.

Utter ludicrous fanservice wankery of the highest order. And I'm here for it all.
  • Oh my god that sounds amazing. I have to get back into this. Think I'll invest a few hours after the kids go to bed
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If you get to chapter 12, do the boss tower which rocks you up levels quick fast. Also gives you good gear. Once your party is around level 50 you'll roll the fight no bother with half basic tactics (ie a tank / healer / damage dealer)

I get that it is a bit of a jump in levels, but seemed overhyped for what it was unless you'd never played an RPG before. There's a literal level booster opened to you and I was well over level 40 before I arrived into the area.

And the reward for clearing that fight is a *chef's kiss* moment for Yakuza fans. Flora sitting next to me as I did it even went 'what shit', having never played one, just taking them in via osmosis with me.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Makes me regret not sticking it in the top 5 goty list.
    Aha
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Wow. Chapter 10 is very talky....
  • Need to get back on the grind. While the rpg systems are definitely a bit of fresh air, it does make it harder for me to get back into it after a time away..
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Makes me regret not sticking it in the top 5 goty list.
    Aha

Fucked it, for sure.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Get Nanba up to level 4 ASAP and get him as a host. Then get him in the sparkly green suit and shouting CHAMPAGNE SORE SORE SORE

At 1:55 here for the impatient

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well chapter 14 just goes off the rails doesn't it.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So YakLad then...

I'm about 15 hours in according to my save file (about 9 hours gameplay according to the PS5, I have no idea how it works that out).

It is just a joy to play. Just outright fun. So much so, I've hunted down all the side quests that I can access so far something I rarely do in games. This is the perfect games for me. Yes, there is a lot of downtime due to conversation and back stories, but that gives me time to grab a drink and have a bite to eat. I'll come back and read this thread proper when I've finished, but I honestly would have put this as my number 1 or 2 game if I'd played this last year and right now it's still going in my GOAT list.

Brilliant stuff, everyone should play it.
  • Bought this for £19 as thought it was a bit of a bargain. Looking forward to it arriving and giving it a go.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It is just excellent Vere. So much you can do and some of the side mission actually made me laugh. I'm also enjoying the English spoken voices, think they did a great job there.
  • Non-stop good things said about it, including yourself now Boris. Gonna be inside a lot over the next 6-12 months so just picking everything I fancy up that seems a bargain for when I need it. Glad the English dub is well done, makes it easier for someone who ends up fixating on subtitles...
  • Kasuga is a really likeable character too, so I think that helps.

I’ve put in close to 90hrs so far, and have a fair way to go yet.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Christ this game. Just as I think I’ve got it down it then drops in...
    Spoiler:
    WTF.

And then my first phone a friend was Nancy :-D
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    So how was Shenmue III, by the way. Still not fun to play?
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This game just continues to be amazing. All the side missions are great. I mean it generally ends in a fight but how you get to that point varies hugely.

I felt the story was dragging me along a bit too quickly so I’ve slowed things down and spent the night at Ichiban Confections.

• Only about 7 hours in but it's great isn't it?  Couldn't be happier with the RPG switch up, reckon it's a perfect fit.  I was sick of the fighting in previous games so it's nice to go back to actively seeking out punch ups.

Awesome to hear you can put in 100 hours if the quality continues I'm up for it.  Could end up my second favourite (not sure anything can top the memories of 0).
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I have this now thanks to you lot. 3 day weekend starting today, Imma going in.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s just pure fun. So many things to do, obviously inc you are past the obligatory Japanese slow start and story.

I’m at 32 hours and loving every minute seeking out every side quest and game. Last night I discovered...
    Spoiler:
  • Silke wrote:
    So how was Shenmue III, by the way. Still not fun to play?

It seemed to mimic the originals while hoping no-one noticed things have moved on since Shenmue II's cliffhanger. I only managed 4hrs of it but it's one of the oddest things I've ever played. It's worth investigating but I wouldn't advise taking part in the adventure.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The stupid fatigue system really spoils Shenmue III.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    fucking forum grrr
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yakuza: Like A Cutscene (because you better)
  • Nani'd for the very first tiiiiiiime.

I am sorry.
  • I'm liking this but fuck me, there's like 10 mins of game every hour.

Where can I see time played?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!