PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Micro peakness.

P-Reg Peak. (Ford Granada.)

It looks for all the world like an AR game in that first vid. Because it only needs very basic collision detection, you could take The Last Guy's approach and capture real 3D-mapped locations.

Same as Grim Fandango's mix of polygon characters against prerendered backgrounds (Manny, not MegaRace). I'd love to play that version, but anything less feels horribly dated at this point. A few handling tweaks to make the machines scuff across the shed's wooden floor a bit during drifts, and so on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really dislike that old PS1/Saturn 3D look. Didn't like it back then either. It looked shit to me and I never understood all the fuss.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It was only Maniacs that I liked V3 and all that crap did nothing for me, maybe because Maniacs was a spin off of sorta I gave to more time.
  • davyK wrote:
    I really dislike that old PS1/Saturn 3D look. Didn't like it back then either. It looked shit to me and I never understood all the fuss.

Micro Machines or in general?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just in general. There are some 3D games from that era that look OK but most of them just have a certain look I dislike.

PS1 played host to games like Wipeout3 and R4. Saturn has Athlete Kings. They still look pretty good in a retro way but there were too many games of that era with shitty textures etc.  N64 games tended not to try and recreate reality so their colourful simplistic graphics have aged slightly better - but it has its share of ugly 3D too. 

I always saw 3D as a bit of a cool effect when done right but never really got why people were so pumped up about it. Despite the move to 3D I saw it as a step back from the gorgeous imagery of the peak of 2D. Just me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That three d era was basically the teenage years for game graphics. A necessary but gawky era.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!