Your first online multiplayer experience?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I always wanted to try Ultima Online, as I'm sure many of us did, but it came out in our penny-per-minute days. That's why I didn't get online until 2002, when BT offered a £5.99 evenings-and-weekend option. Else 1p per minute peak hours, but I avoided those.

I tried ultima online. It wasn't great.
  • I remember playing something on the original Xbox, not halo 2 but before then... But I can't remember what it was.

360 is what really turned it around for me. Gears and Modern Warfare
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Would have just about had to have been a ghost recon?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Halo 2, Ghost Recon and Battlefield 2 on the OG Xbox. Halo 2 was the one that really blew my mind though.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I've just had a google and reckon it could've been Unreal Championship. Came out in 2002!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Then the phone bill arrived. That was even more mind blowing.

Sneaking out to midnight binge PSO stopped pretty quickly.

Heh. Mine was Wargasm and I was paying for cable TV and a phone line in my room at my parents with my weekend job wages. I shit when I got my first bill, and had to apply for a loan from the Bank of Mum and Dad. They were not impressed.

• Possibly doom, or a similar game from that era, but that would have just been dial up against a mate.
    First proper online game i can think off was a text based MMORPG thing on AOL online.  I created my character, went in the city, went to the pub, bet all my money on the roulette table - and won.  took my winnings to the bar and bought and drank lots of ale.  got drunk and fell under a table.  then got robbed while unconscious.  Playing the game properly looked a bit dull though so I didn't bother much after that.
    First console online play would have been with the xbox, i recall playing top spin tennis against some randoms with voice chat and thinking 'this is the future', then my mate had a go and unleashed a torrent of abuse against some scamps that were getting a bit cheeky on the voice chat, and it turned out that was actually the future of online gaming!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • My first online multiplayer was Chu Chu Rocket on the Dreamcast. I wasn’t very good at it.
  • Halo with xbox connect was a revelation.
    Then there was Halo2 with Live.
    Lots of screaming cursing foul-mouthed 5 year olds :(
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Quake III on DC. Even hunted around three local towns to find the keyboard and mouse which were very hard to get. Ended playing on sofa with keyboard resting on lap and mouse on an A4 folder. Wasn't a great experience as I'd built myself up to expect.

I didn't really touch online again until Modern Warefare 2. Always preferred same room gaming until logistics of mates getting together made it too difficult to play regularly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast.

Highlights include:
    - being asked if I was "hawt irl" because my avatar was female.
    - being asked by a German player what "I'm so pants" means.
    - counting the minutes I'd been online and paying my Dad back with the change in my wallet.
    - joining a lobby for the first time and realising everyone around me was a real person.

The first online game that got serious time was WoW, during a summer while at uni. I gave up at about level 30-something, when I realised prepping was taking an hour or more before I could start actual quests. Capture the flag was stupidly fun, though.

Highlight of my online career will probably be Halo 3. Haters gonna hate when the B&B be riding dat Death Hog, yo.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Counterstrike then Halo 2. Struggling to see how we've moved on really.
  • We have a better selection of hats and gloves now...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Sacking off school and going to an Internet cafe to play Unreal Tournament. Then it was Warhawk and Tekken Tag Tournament HD on the PS3! Missed out on DC online play cos I was poor lol
  • Unreal tournament for me too i reckon. 1999 or 2000. First time we had internet which was paid for by my sister in laws uni coz she was slydexic
  • Diablo, then probably UT and Starcraft. Console wise it was killing time on R6 and PGR before Halo 2 came out.

Early LAN forays included Duke Nukem, Blood, Doom and Rise of the Triad.

Halo 2 & Gears 3 probably the best of times.
  • I think mine was DC Quake III  (which I thought was pretty decent to be honest) but it equally could have been Chu Chu Rocket or PSO.

I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be doing in PSO though so just walked around taking in the scenery with my floaty robot helper.

Chu Chu rocket is still decent, I'm surprised it hasn't been re-released on live or PSN.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Team Fortress, Counter-Strike and Sven Co-op.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Counterstrike then Halo 2. Struggling to see how we've moved on really.
    g.man wrote:
    We have a better selection of hats and gloves now...

Four quid for a pack of "cards", so you don't even get to pick your hats any more.

FUCK YEAH PROGRESS. *guitar solo*
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:

Highlights include:

Answer the question, Swirl.
  • F1 and Motorstorm with randoms on PS3. Former was an awful experience, the latter was great fun.

First online with Badgers/Edge Forumites was Wipeout HD on PS3 with Rock, Skade and Gav. Had a lot of fun and if I recall correctly Skade was and probably still is untouchable. This was closely followed by some Forza 2 action with the FNF boys. A very friendly welcome, great fun was had and then I was booted by Unlikely. Still love him though.
  • I used to play a bit of Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, and C&C. Tiberian Sun online as a kid, all of which I was shit at.

The first thing I ever played via LAN was Total Annihilation, which could install quick enough on the PCs at school to play a match on advanced speed in our lunch break. It also didn't need a disk to run. Fond memories!

Halo 2 was the first game I really put a lot of time into.
  • Skondo wrote:
     A very friendly welcome, great fun was had and then I was booted by Unlikely. Still love him though.

I probably thought you were Jim.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tekken Tag Tournament HD on the PS3!

It was Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. That bunny-shoeing from Panda must've left you confused.
  • I have fond memories of playing Carmageddon over the studio LAN at a past company. It wasn’t a good game, but we had only just networked our Macs properly for the first time and the novelty of playing a game with the players on two separate floors of the building was more the point. Actually phoning them to chat while playing, too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:

Highlights include:

Answer the question, Swirl.

I don't mean to brag, but my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
  • Yahoo chess was my first online game. Didn't suffer from lag either. That would've been 95/96. 

Then it would've been doom
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Words With Friends on the iPhone was a quiet revolution. Slow online multiplayer in your pocket. 

Also, it had a chat function which meant you could text for free when SMS still cost everyone quite a bit of money every month.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!