Middle Earth - Shadow of War
  • pantyfire wrote:
    In many ways this is more of the same re the first one. The combat is still just as good but it didn't grip me and I don't know why.
    Me too. I loved the first one, there's not many open world games that hold my attention but SoM did.
    I think it just felt more personal due to its smaller size maybe and smaller army's. Relationships with enemy's felt consistent and meaningful to the point id remember the actual fights I had with them which was a great achievement by the devs imo. I even finished the game which is rare for me.

I realy want to love SoW as I did SoM. I'm gonna give it another go soon as I've completed the first fortress and it was alot of fun, i mean, who dosnt want to ride a Dragon whilst a battle rages beneath you trying to take a fortress.

I think someone said earlier in this thread they may have over egged the pudding and as much as I wanted this to be the perfect sequel to one of my all time favourite games, I think they hit the nail on the head with that prediction.
  • I said that about over-egging the pudding before they’d even announced they were doing a sequel. It was the smaller scale of the work in the first game that helped its success. Clearly both publisher and dev were going to just go down the bigger is better road of sequel production. I’m starting this Friday so want to keep a pretty open mind to it but I’ve my concerns that they’ll have gone too wide.
  • I said that about over-egging the pudding before they’d even announced they were doing a sequel. It was the smaller scale of the work in the first game that helped its success. Clearly both publisher and dev were going to just go down the bigger is better road of sequel production. I’m starting this Friday so want to keep a pretty open mind to it but I’ve my concerns that they’ll have gone too wide.

It was a bloody good prediction.

I realy like the extra stuff they've put in like the dragons and other races of creatures, basing this one on taking fortresses was also a brilliant addition as was increasing the variety of traits the captains have. There's so much to like about what they added, it's just the feeling that you never get as intimate with captains and war chiefs as you did in the first one that I thinks missing. Unfortunately that was the one unique thing that game had.

Maybe I havnt dedicated the time to it yet that it deserves / demands to realy feel sucked in by it all. It's definitely worth another shot though.

• Hearing the name "humgrat" being chanted over and over again by the surrounding orks was awesome. They seemed to know what I knew.

With what he'd done to me in previous meetings at the forefront of my mind I'm surveying the surroundings still unsure if I could lead him into a trap or corner him alone for a fair fight. It gave you a real feel of the unknown. I knew he was a badass and I knew he was gonna give me a shit storm to deal with but I was ready for it. It's moments like those I treasure from SoM.

I'm hoping when I get back into SoW some of these moments materialise.
  • For some reason, I really enjoyed watching The Hobbit part 3 on the telly the other night (got v. bored watching it originally in the flicks though) so I am in the mood for some Orc bashing.  Played the first game and enjoyed it, before it got too samey. A bit like the films. This sequel any good then?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I played it when it came onto game pass. Can't say it's particularly good unfortunately. Basically every aspect is not handled as well as the first one. It's messy, over complicated, under explained, a bit dull and uninspired.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dang, I was thinking of playing it at some point too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I bounced off it before I got to the ridiculous battles. Shame.
  • So this is why we never never get to see the Nemesis in other games. What a dick move by Warner Bros:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/01/warner-patented-shadow-of-mordors-nemesis-system-but-never-used-it-14000458/
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!