Aww you. X
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    An adverb modifies a verb like an adjective does a noun. In English, most adverbs are made by sticking -ly on the end of an adjective.
  • This is actually quite informative. Last one, what's a pronoun?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A pronoun is a word that stands in place of a noun in a sentence, he, she, I, me, you, it, his, ours, yourself etc.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There's a few different types of pronoun. I've mixed them all up in those examples above just to be confusing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm genuinely happy to answer English grammar questions in here. I like my grammar knowledge, I don't want to forget it. Plus, it may help others learn languages, so feel free to fire away.
  • I could get into this. I've not thought much about language structure at all.
  • I wonder how Japanese dictionaries work if there's no alphabet?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I could get into this. I've not thought much about language structure at all.
    I may not start now, but there are only really 6 tenses in English (IIRC), learn those plus a few other rules and that covers the majority of English grammar.

Happy to start another thread for it if Dyno would rather I did that.
  • Also, Japanese dictionaries seem to be ordered on the number of strokes used, but how these are subdivided seems a bit bewildering. Kanji system, apparently.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    We did but they were really piss basic.

Ev is now trying to explain Hungarian suffixes and affixes, and how nouns haves 18 cases and it is apparently an agglunitive language ok

That's what I like about Finnish, learn a verb, and because the suffixes and prefixes are all pretty much hardcoded you've immediately learnt all the different ways to use that verb. Past tense, add an 'i', turn it into a question add a 'ko', you can near on produce a whole sentence from just the the one word, which for a lazy bugger like me is brilliant

Puhua - to speak
    Puhut - you speak
    Puhutko - do you speak?
    Puhuit - you spoke
    Puhuitko - did you speak?

Swap the 't' for an 'n' to go from second person singular to first person singular, suddenly you're in a situation where learning vocabulary actually benefits you as you only learn the word once. Unlike some gendered languages where you hand to learn each form by rote

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I will never fully wrap my head around gendered languages. I just can't correlate sex to inanimate objects.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Secret Santa list 2017

Brooks
    Trainers made of flesh

g.man
    Camera, heh

Livdiv
    Realdoll
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's gonna be lonely this Christmas.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Completely agree though, firstly it makes no logical sense to me, and despite my criminal record I like rules, and secondly it means you have to learn more stuff. I always considered actively learning to be cheating, like take these words home and learn how to spell them by writing them out twenty times, that felt like cheating, so I just learnt how to spell instead of doing all that writing

Which was silly because it made learning another language (at school at least) far more difficult. I guess really exposure is the only way
  • I have always learnt by doing. So languages would always be a struggle staying in the UK.
    My Grandpa spoke near fluent German, he used to supplement in German words for fun (schokolade rather than chocolate for example) and used to watch the German channels on Sky, this was after a long station in Germany in the RAF. That helped my learning but not enough to really click.

I listen.
    I watch.
    I do.
    I learn.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    In tweak the order somewhat but when teaching it was always demonstration, explanation, participation, interrogation, just to try and hit as many learning methods as possible
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I forget the proliferation of foreign youtube and podcasts etc, it could be pretty simple (bar the initial digging to find sources) to immerse yourself nowadays. It's amazing how languages pervade your thought process, I still absently ask people to open or close the light sometimes
  • That's fair enough.
    Being the pig headed idiot I am I always resented the testing/show your working stage.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Me too, but I item made little leaps and didn't really understand how, it wasn't until I learnt algebra later at school that I knew how to explain why something worked
  • I have always learnt by doing. So languages would always be a struggle staying in the UK.

That works for some people and some languages. I'm very much someone who learns through practice and implementation but, as hard as I could try, that's just not gonna work with something like Chinese. The tones, the weird grammar structures, the massive amount of idioms used in everyday conversation - you have to put your head down and study that shit.

Something like German may be possible, but I'd argue Spanish, due to verb usage, would also require concerted effort beyond just listening and doing.

Still, horses for courses. I didn't really like language learning at school but, now that I'm older and have forced myself into the habit, I'm progressing far faster than I used to be.
  • My problem is I could do complex math in my head and fast.
    I could rattle out answers off the cuff.

Still pretty good at mental arithmetic, never really learnt long division because I was sharper than any non-calculator scenario.

Still have lots of basic math in my job and I am faster than most on sums.
    Stuff like working out how much paint to buy for a room. Or estimating flooring prices.
  • @cinty

Of course, horses for courses absolutely applies.
    We all learn in different ways and different languages lend themselves to different techniques as well.
  • Scout wrote:
    We've been to Spain to meet her parents a few times and every time I leave I promise to be able to speak a bit more Spanish next time. And then next time arrives and I'm just as useless as before. It's super frustrating, sitting there like a complete dummy, nodding and smiling while everyone around you chats away.
    I get this. I can follow conversations in Turkish but struggle to actually get involved when they're at full speed, and often end up sitting there saying fuck all.
    Kow wrote:
    Most couples I know who are a split of Spanish (or another language) and English generally end up speaking English. Partly because of the enthusiasm of non-English speakers to learn English and also because English speakers have less need to learn another language.
    The enthusiasm of others to learn and use English is definitely an issue too. I often go in a shop and start speaking Turkish to the Cypriots, only to have them speak back to me in English. At that point it seems pointless trying to stumble through it when you can just revert to your own language.
  • I always thought pro nouns is how you say words properly
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    The enthusiasm of others to learn and use English is definitely an issue too. I often go in a shop and start speaking Turkish to the Cypriots, only to have them speak back to me in English. At that point it seems pointless trying to stumble through it when you can just revert to your own language.

So much this, people all want to practise their English with an actual English person, I was constantly telling friends and family that I need to practise so please stop talking English unless I ask you to. But then that felt rude as well

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    An adverb modifies a verb like an adjective does a noun. In English, most adverbs are made by sticking -ly on the end of an adjective.
    Adverbs can also modify Adverbs. #inception
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Adverbs can also modify Adverbs. #inceptionly

• To learn another language, move to country, watch TV with subtitles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!