Yooka-Laylee (AKA Banjo-Kazooie 3)
  • Escape wrote:
    Even if Banjo was better, I was satiated and unwilling to spend £50 on another platformer by then.

That's exactly how I felt and was a bit if a problem for the N64 in general, a diverse software library is so important.

In that respect I think Nintendo and Rare were dumb as fuck.

Mario 64... 2 Banjos and DK64

Mario Kart 64... DK Racing and Mickeys Speedway

Come on, the N64 didn't need more of that. Look how successful MS have been with Forza. The N64 desperately lacked a game like that.

Killer Instincts popularity had waned by that time but why not make an all new 3D fighter? An RPG? They were a talented bunch at the time, I'm sure they could have pulled off whatever they set their mind to.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't think Nintendo has learnt all that much either.
    How many rpgs are on the launch schedule for 3DS and Switch?
    There are 3 or 4 Fire Emblem games!
  • Yep, madness.

Didn't the Wii U have about 4 platformers release in the space of a few months? 3D World, DKC, Sonic and a Kirby maybe?

Whatever they were I remember thinking retro studios would have been much better off on something other than DK.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Even if Banjo was better, I was satiated and unwilling to spend £50 on another platformer by then.

That's exactly how I felt and was a bit if a problem for the N64 in general, a diverse software library is so important.

In that respect I think Nintendo and Rare were dumb as fuck.

Mario 64... 2 Banjos and DK64

Mario Kart 64... DK Racing and Mickeys Speedway

Come on, the N64 didn't need more of that. Look how successful MS have been with Forza. The N64 desperately lacked a game like that.

Killer Instincts popularity had waned by that time but why not make an all new 3D fighter? An RPG? They were a talented bunch at the time, I'm sure they could have pulled off whatever they set their mind to.

Had two v rallys, two very highly thought of F1 World Grand Prix games (DAT TV FEEL) and others. And a wipeout. It definitely needed no more racers.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There were also that many 3D fighters on the 64 that I doubt they felt they needed to saturate that either. We've had this "no fighters" on n64 chat before and off the top of my head I listed 12. Cmon now
  • I think the fighters thing comes from the big boys being missing or worse than on PS1.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think the fighters thing comes from the big boys being missing or worse than on PS1.

They were pretty much universally bad, but there were fuckloads of them
  • Lacked the one that mattered is my point though.

A Nintendo GT would have moved more systems than DK Racing. DK Racing just sold to the demographic that was already on board.

Then theres the long game. Nintendo GT 2 on GCN going up against GT3 and Forza.

They're decisions sometimes are baffling to say the least.

Rare were a massive part of the N64 but they could have been more and helped move more systems.

I just don't see how BK and DK were good decisions at the time, maybe for short term sales but in the long run they didn't help the N64 imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Anywho back on topic, if this pissing Xbox ever finishes updating I am about to jump in on this. There's an issue the n64 didn't have.
    Just noticed Team 17 handled the publishing, that's nice, keep that retro flava
  • regmcfly wrote:
    There were also that many 3D fighters on the 64 that I doubt they felt they needed to saturate that either. We've had this "no fighters" on n64 chat before and off the top of my head I listed 12. Cmon now

All shockingly bad. Rare was a talented developer, I think they could have made a good one and with in house marketing behind it it would have made an impact compared to your War God's and Fighters Destinies.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Like I said the other day, the N64 didn't handle bitmaps well so attempting a Colin McRae or Gran Turismo would always be out of the question.
    The hardware leant itself to colourful shaders so that's what we got mainly.
    I kind of like that we had two very different options in the n64 and PS1. At least exclusives were exclusive for a reason.
  • Like I said the other day, the N64 didn't handle bitmaps well so attempting a Colin McRae or Gran Turismo would always be out of the question.
    I kind of like that we had two very different options in the n64 and PS1. At least exclusives were exclusive for a reason.

I disagree. I think it could have done one well tbh, especially in the right hands and Rare were masters of the HW.

Definitely agree with your latter statement though, it was great owning both, SNES and MD also. These days XBox and PS are painfully similar.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Like I said the other day, the N64 didn't handle bitmaps well so attempting a Colin McRae or Gran Turismo would always be out of the question.

I disagree. I think it could have done one well tbh, especially in the right hands and Rare were masters of the HW.

Definitely agree with your latter statement though, it was great owning both, SNES and MD also. These days XBox and PS are painfully similar.

Yep to the last point. Why I'm not fussed that the switch won't get Xbox /PS4 games
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What I meant is that Banjo probably sold mostly to those without other machines. I bought mine for GoldenEye after playing a mate's copy, picked up Mario 64 for £20 (I'd already played a fair bit of it on said mate's borrowed 64), and then I later borrowed (again, doze cart prices!) Blast Corps, DOOM 64, and Perfect Dark.

(Ocarina of Time sat there for about seven years until — having paid £50 for the bugger — I half-forced myself through it.)

As a big fan of Donkey Kong Country and Mario 64, I was a little surprised at how unappealing I found the idea of Donkey Kong 64. Its graphics looked a lot more PlayStation to me at the time, and because it was set in one location (as far as screenshots went), the main impression was one of a load of blurry old grass. Meanwhile, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and a whole bunch of other stuff was out. Not least Fandango.

Great console, but given the option, few would've been happy without any others. Unless you were a one- or two-genre gamer, like. I am more of one these days (not through choice), but when I played a range of stuff I'd always stop with my favourite of each. So in the PS2's day I only bothered with the GTAs for my openworld fix, preferring to wait for the next one rather than play something that was inevitably worse. Mario 64 destroyed its own market for a long while; that's how accomplished it was.

I bought a GameCube for Monkey Ball's multiplayer and I couldn't be arsed to buy Mario Sunshine.
  • A few thoughts after playing yesterday.

It is definitely a sequel to Banjo, really has that feel and you could easily swap in the old characters for the new, I like it a lot. There are references up the wazoo.

Camera. It is fine 99% of the time but can be a pain. Better than Banjo but not perfect, certainly not game breaking though.

I like the expanding world concept. The world's are quite large, and having them open up in two stages limits the sense of being lost. I need to crack on more and see more world's to judge properly but do far they haven't quite had the magic of Banjo yet.

Collectables.
    OK, this have improved somewhat over Banjo but you still have to do a bit of it.
    Notes are replaced by Quills but your total doesn't reset if you die/leave the level.
    Egg variants are seeds on tress and last a set amount of time. Meaning you don't have a total number and it adds to the puzzling.
    No lives to worry about, the change in Notes makes them redundant anyway.
    There is a power bar that limits moves rather than shoe types/feathers. This is filled by the same pick up as health.
    Over all the collectables aspect has been streamlined a lot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!