Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - General Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Do I need to make friends to get involved or something? That still the Nintendo way?

You’ll need to send a request to Kyoto by carrier pigeon.  This will be processed over the next six weeks with a reply sent by sea expected within a further six weeks from posting date.  If you choose to accept kyotos decision you’ll be provided with a code only accessible through a mobile phone directly purchased from one of three shops World wide.  These shops are all accessible in person only and you must bring 14 pieces of official identification.  After completing four personality tests, an assault course and providing 6 further pieces of photo identification you’ll then be able to get on no bother.  This is the Nintendo way.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Mrs. Moot wants the telly so that's me for tonight. Good games.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The new Yoshi's Island track is excellent.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The new Yoshi's Island track is excellent.

It is ..... gorgeous tribute to YI.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played through the 2 new cups. The game really is gorgeous. It's hard to see where MK can go after this. Nintendo have pretty much perfected the formula.

Wondering if the next Odyssey-like game will have racing integrated into it. The new animated film might be a huge hint at that.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah, it's definitely hard to see what radical new thing they could introduce. The anti-gravity they introduced was already quite a lot. I think it would have to be some kind of Mario Kart Ultimate, an open world Mario Kart or perhaps expanding it to Nintendo Kart.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They could start introducing some long point to point driving courses across a large expanding world. The way that Bowser's Fury bonus game on 3D World unfolds.  Bit of platforming. Into the kart onto the next area.

The anti-grav races are great but I'd still have liked to have seen a new F-Zero :(
  • Good online games tonight. Need to try and make it a more regular thing, such a fun game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First time for me since MK-Wii with randomers. Is a good experience all right,
  • It's great. We had mostly AI set up though - was me, retro and another mate + an assortment of medium CPU drivers iirc. Not sure how the booster packs work because the other guy doesn't have the premium online sub but could play the new tracks anyway. Maybe everything is unlocked for mp, regardless of whether you've got the extra stuff?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think you get hauled in - but that means the extra tracks are included in updates whether you paid or not.

I remember in the early days of online MKWii I was racing on tracks I hadn't unlocked yet.

That "other mate" was that Fitz guy I presume?
  • i don't have the DLC or intend to get it, but if it's unlocked for MP i could be tempted to join in for a sesh when you're next playing (assuming the online sub we got for daughter is still active!)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Yeah, it's definitely hard to see what radical new thing they could introduce. The anti-gravity they introduced was already quite a lot. I think it would have to be some kind of Mario Kart Ultimate, an open world Mario Kart or perhaps expanding it to Nintendo Kart.

Mario Kart Maker. Has to be.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Like the Mario kart with the AR racing cars?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Final batch of tracks released today. I haven't played this in an age - I haven't even properly "finished" the main game.  My enthusiasm for the series has waned a bit - original, DD and Wii really tickled me.  I think the MK8's 100cc class being far too easy put me off a bit but I'm using this to get back into it.

I'm also losing patience with just getting taken out by CPU drivers all the time - I prefer TTing now on MK to the GPs in single player.
  • MK is an underrated TT experience imo, especially with the three laps/three mushrooms thing. Single player GP races are annoying - GP online with randoms or friends is much more fun.
  • Plus you can download player ghosts in this one iirc? Or you could on the Wii U anyway.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You could download TT ghosts in MK-Wii as well. MK-Wii was a pretty slick online experience.
  • I've hardly played proper multiplayer races over the decades.  Always always been about the TTs for me.

Haven't played this since the first batch of extra courses were released.  :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Wii MK passed me by, as did the DS & 3DS versions.  My Mario Kart journey in terms of actually owning them has been Superstar Saga (GBA, which I have a soft spot for), Double Dash on Gamecube  (which I didn't really play, partly because I was influenced by the low score in Edge) and MK8 twice.  As a non-connoisseur I'd put MK8 way out in front for the whole series.
  • As a connoisseur who owned super famicom (NTSC fast) Super Mario Kart from release and had two siblings to compete against, there is no question that MK8 is the absolute pinnacle of the series. The music alone wins it, if only you could turn down SFX and turn up music

PS high five for GBA super circuit (superstar saga is the Mario & Luigi RPG lite innit?), the first SMK-like controls / driving feel since the original
  • We really should give this one last hurrah for some multiplayer hi-jinks.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We played MK-Wii to death in our house - my two daughters were at just the right age. Was a real sweet spot. It was the first one to add a large selection of retro cups.

I played MK-DD to death in 1P - unlocked the trophy car by golding the all cup tour at 150cc mirror mode. It was a TT favourite with my daughters too as they got older. They loved playing it in 2P when younger as well.

DD has a 2 characters per kart setup (1 driving, 1 on weapons - swappable mid race) which allows for some tactical selection and it also supports 2 vs 2 with each player controlling 1 character.  You also need to work together to get the turbos right. When playing in 1P I had Toad driving (his powerups were boosts) and Red Koopa on weapons (he had red shell based specials)

I see DK Mountain from DD is in this last batch of tracks. :)
  • Funkstain wrote:
    As a connoisseur who owned super famicom (NTSC fast) Super Mario Kart from release and had two siblings to compete against, there is no question that MK8 is the absolute pinnacle of the series. The music alone wins it, if only you could turn down SFX and turn up music PS high five for GBA super circuit (superstar saga is the Mario & Luigi RPG lite innit?), the first SMK-like controls / driving feel since the original

Derp.

Although I also had that and quite enjoyed what I played of it.
  • We really should give this one last hurrah for some multiplayer hi-jinks.

Yes.  Especially with all the tracks out now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!