Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • The fun thing with SS is that there isn't a single plot point in the entire film that makes one iota of sense. Every time you say eh? what? or why? while watching, the film just bitch-slaps you with something even more stupid than the stupid thing you were just thinking about.

Spock would have an aneurysm 

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Suicide Squad is the ultimate turn your brain off, summer blockbuster.

Ignore the dialogue, eat your popcorn and enjoy the spectacle.

As a film, it's terrible.
  • It's not even good as a blockbuster, it's just dire. The first third is a glorified set of trailers, the middle third is... mud men? The end is... I forget.
  • Too long after the beginning.
  • Suicide Squad is the ultimate turn your brain off, summer blockbuster. Ignore the dialogue, eat your popcorn and enjoy the spectacle. As a film, it's terrible.

I'll go with that. It's an MTV movie really - lots of imagery that is catchy to an extent and things sort of hang together enough to get to the next scene/ music video but its all style and substance.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Suicide Squad is the ultimate turn your brain off, summer blockbuster.

Ignore the dialogue, eat your popcorn and enjoy the spectacle.

As a film, it's terrible.

That post does a lot to undo the perception that several better, more interesting blockbusters have done to mean you can have both nonsense and spectacle.
    With that point I will ride my copy of Pacific Rim into the sea.
  • The 'turn your brain off and enjoy' defence of terrible movies never works for me. Films don't have to make you think, but they will make you feel something, even despite themselves. If you want me to be anything other than bored, then it has to work at a basic level. 

Although I haven't seen SS or JL. I'm up for car crash blockbusters but they're each about 5 hours a piece.
  • Justice League is only 2 hours. It's a long 2 hours though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    The 'turn your brain off and enjoy' defence of terrible movies never works for me. Films don't have to make you think, but they will make you feel something, even despite themselves. If you want me to be anything other than bored, then it has to work at a basic level. 

Although I haven't seen SS or JL. I'm up for car crash blockbusters but they're each about 5 hours a piece.

The thing that grabs me most with it is this sort of anti intellectual subtext - essentially, you don't like it because you're thinking too hard about it
  • I've been watch a bunch of Lidsay Ellis recently, she primarily covers Disney stuff and has an incredible knowledge of the studio's inner workings through the Disney Renaissance. You'd think there'd be nothing to glean from a 40 minute video about why Hercules was a bit of a let down, it's just a silly kids film after all, but yikes there's a lot to unpack.

She has an ongoing series called The Whole Plate where she tackles the big schools of film theory using only the Bay Transformers.
  • Hercules a let down? I'll fight you all.
  • Yeah, Hercules is pretty great.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • In the box office I should have said
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Great art style, lousy film. I'd check out some of those videos if you can link them.
  • Logan was good but I can't be fucked seeing all the intertwined marvel films any more.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Olimite wrote:
    Great art style, lousy film. I'd check out some of those videos if you can link them.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Logan’s not really intertwined, it’s Fox rather than Marvel Studios so it’s only intertwined with the other X-Men/Deadpool films.

Except that Disney has now bought Fox.
  • Tempy wrote:
    In the box office I should have said

You're removed from The List.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Logan’s not really intertwined, it’s Fox rather than Marvel Studios so it’s only intertwined with the other X-Men/Deadpool films. Except that Disney has now bought Fox.

Well yeah, the appeal of Logan is that it's not intertwined. I meant to make it clear that's what I prefer. Although apparently it has some nice nod to a heart in hand prophecy in an earlier film I missed entirely. 

In my view it's the highest point of any superhero film. Eclipses the best nolan batman films (ie the first two) by virtue of Logan being a more subdued, personal story.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Tempy wrote:
    In the box office I should have said

You're removed from The List.

Put me back on, i've never seen the film, just the cartoon show
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like that just gets you onto a new list.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Thanks Temps.
  • Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Logan’s not really intertwined, it’s Fox rather than Marvel Studios so it’s only intertwined with the other X-Men/Deadpool films. Except that Disney has now bought Fox.
    Well yeah, the appeal of Logan is that it's not intertwined. I meant to make it clear that's what I prefer. Although apparently it has some nice nod to a heart in hand prophecy in an earlier film I missed entirely.  In my view it's the highest point of any superhero film. Eclipses the best nolan batman films (ie the first two) by virtue of Logan being a more subdued, personal story.
    I think Logan was 'nearly great'. Interesting concept, good performances and action, but they didn't quite nail it for me.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was no Green Lantern that’s for sure.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Well yeah, the appeal of Logan is that it's not intertwined. I meant to make it clear that's what I prefer. Although apparently it has some nice nod to a heart in hand prophecy in an earlier film I missed entirely.  In my view it's the highest point of any superhero film. Eclipses the best nolan batman films (ie the first two) by virtue of Logan being a more subdued, personal story.
    I think Logan was 'nearly great'. Interesting concept, good performances and action, but they didn't quite nail it for me.

That's where I fell. It was so close. My wife seemed to really go for it though. Still the most interesting superhero thing in yonks.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Weak bad guys and a so-so final act made Logan a bit meh for me. Certainly nothing to worry Nolan’s trilogy.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm also on the Logan meh train. It was alright, but nothing special.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Weak bad guys and a so-so final act made Logan a bit meh for me. Certainly nothing to worry Nolan’s trilogy.

Yeah. Apart from Nolan's Dark Knights, my favourite superhero films are Watchmen and Thor (I've not rewatched either).
  • The two Hellboys and the first couple of Blade movies were good. Third one was arse tho.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hellboy 2
    Spiderman 2
    Xmen 2
    Dark Knight
    Captain America Winter Soldier

Don't come near me if it ain't 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!