Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Loki finale is good.
  • The Marvels was good fun. My kids are going to love it.

Post animated credits scene. No post full credits roll scene. Long may that trend continue.
  • Loki finale is good.
    It was fun but also very vague. What actually happened?
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Ms Marvel was just incredibly fun and loved the style of everything they did. Assume it will get a second season after this film.

I didn't watch it when it came out but I'm 3 episodes down and it is brilliant.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The kids and I are skipping cinema for The Marvels. Not worth the price as a cinema trip with the kids including food costs almost £70.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Take your own food!

Yeah and take your own kids too for that matter!
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's a lot of money either way isn't it.

People were getting mad at £70 for Spiderman 2 (game) but it's clear what offers better value to me.
  • Food is what kills anything. I'm at Oxygen in Croydon watching Tilly and a mate go mad on trampolines/rock climbing at the mo, which I thought was quite reasonably priced for 90mins, Even though they've mentioned Pizza Hut about eight times they're getting oven pizzas afterwards though.
  • I cant remember where Elf lives, but Westfield Vue is £6.99 a ticket, somehow a quid cheaper than Preston.

I used Perks At Work to get 3 tickets for £20 though, might be worth seeing if you have something similar.
  • Take your own food!

Ham wraps for all! The perfect cinema food - quiet and you can hide them up your sleeve on the way in.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Went to see The Marvels with the family.

I genuinely don’t understand how any reviewer that gave positive reviews to previous Marvel fair is dumping on this one.

Whole family reckoned this was the best Marvel flick for a while (with the possible exception of Guardians 3). It’s undeniably silly, but as my daughter put it “Ragnarok silly, not Love and Thunder silly”.

It has many of the problems that Marvel movies tend to have (too much exposition- including bits for people who didn’t watch the TV shows, a Big Event at the end that ends up feeling less thrilling than what came before etc) but it has characters you actually want to spend time with, and a slightly infectious sense of joy. (Vellani nails the Peter Parker energy and channels it through wide eyed fan girl enthusiasm.)

I’d say it’s A tier rather than S tier, but that’s still a step up. Captain Marvel is likeable now, and Ms Marvel ought to be the future of the whole damn thing.

The pre and mid credit sequences are also the best they’ve done for a while.

Anyone who hates this stuff will find nothing to change their mind, but I’m really surprised by the sheer level of negative press this has got, which leaves me slightly suspicious that it’s partly down to a general “everyone’s bored of Marvel” zeitgeist and partly because the leads are a black woman, a Muslim, and a very heavily queer coded woman…
  • Here we fucking go!

Moot, make your mate buy his own pizza.
  • As predicted, my kids, especially Fiadh, loved The Marvels.
  • This is easily one of the best films they have done. Unless you don't like these at all, or are an incel.

The Khan family get enough screen time for anyone who was worried they might get lost in this.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not seen it but if it’s got enough of Ms Marvel in it then I’m gonna enjoy it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Kinda interested to watch this now as it seems there’s a pretty solid positive consensus on here despite it tanking by every conceivable industry metric including audience appreciation scores.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Glad people are liking The Marvels - hearing it's a bit of a return to form.

I'm still getting Angry Joe recommended to me by YouTube and this morning was another rant waiting for me about how shit this film is along with thousands of fawning comments... These guys need to get a life.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Those YouTube guys have done too many "The MCU is dead" vids to turn back now.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Kinda interested to watch this now as it seems there’s a pretty solid positive consensus on here despite it tanking by every conceivable industry metric including audience appreciation scores.

Genuinely, I think it's the best post Endgame film.
  • Watched Loki. Quite enjoyed it all in all.
  • A quick vibes based tier list, the main takeaway appears to be "be funny".

MCU.png
  • Binged Loki. Not sure what anyone wants from this kind of content thing more than it offered. Last episode triumphant. Music at times movingly good. Performances mostly on it. Actual sacrifice and growth and meaning with solid jokes and moments of grace.

It’s just telly with silly things happening but it worked for me

Booked ticket for marvels cos like ms marvel
  • Yep, good summary. Loki still the best MCU TV for me by some way. All a load of old nonsense but good-quality, well-done escapism nonsense.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I dunno it finished strongly but was disappointing week to week. First ep was great then it was 3 episodes of not very much with poorly explained stakes and no reason to care why they were doing anything. Why should I give a shit about the TVA? Ep 5 and 6 were good though, plot was still a load of nonsense but it at least had stakes and character moments to carry it through.

The time travel and multiverse stuff makes no sense at all and needs to die. As soon as you question any of it it falls apart into a pile of spaghetti.
  • Annoyed I won't get to see marvels now as it sounds great fun. All the big cinema chains have sacked off parent and baby screenings since the pandemic. One has advice of just bring your baby to a quiet normal screening which was one of the maddest things I've read in a while.

Only cinema still doing them is a fairly arty independent that isn't showing marvels at all.
  • monkey wrote:
    Those YouTube guys have done too many "The MCU is dead" vids to turn back now.

The problem is it never really took off.
  • Frosty wrote:
    I dunno it finished strongly but was disappointing week to week. First ep was great then it was 3 episodes of not very much with poorly explained stakes and no reason to care why they were doing anything. Why should I give a shit about the TVA? Ep 5 and 6 were good though, plot was still a load of nonsense but it at least had stakes and character moments to carry it through. The time travel and multiverse stuff makes no sense at all and needs to die. As soon as you question any of it it falls apart into a pile of spaghetti.
    Agree.
    The first season is a bit of a blur but iirc, it was very patchy as well. Episodes 2,3 and 4 of this did very little. And Loki as a character had become pretty bland. But I liked the concept of it, the way it looked, most of the characters, and the last couple of episodes were really strong.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!