Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Also, Captain Marvel was meh. In fact, a lot of them are a bit meh / shit.

Don't know if I would quite go with meh/ shite but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. There's a couple of good movies in there, some entertaining fluff, and some absolute dross but the linking up of the films helps a lot. It covers over a lot of cracks.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It never really takes off tbh
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So that's Captain Marvel done and dusted.

Yeah not a good movie. The post credits bit was kinda intriguing though I don't really know who those people are. Is dude with hammer in the spaceship Thor or just another alien dude with a hammer? Maybe won't find out too Endgame in 25 movies time, which it explicitly forward-references...

Cat was good. Explains eyemask thing lol. Acting and special effects underwhelming throughout though.

Oh well, iron Man triple bill up next, before some actual avengers stuff.

Confused whether/why "agents of shield" existed before Captain Marvel arrived... Seemed like they were a known thing, but what was their remit??
  • Hang on, if you’re doing it chronologically how can you do all three iron man films in a row when the third one takes place after the events of the first Avengers film?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oops your quite right it's just two in a row, then Hulk and Thor. Misremembered.
  • I have no idea why you’re doing it this way, it’s futile madness
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is the only reason you're watching these in chronological order to point out why doing them in that order doesn't work?

Seems like a lot of effort just to shoot yourself in the foot.
  • He's doing it this way so he can say he watched them in a different order than hylian_elf.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess I'm now intrigued, largely because you're all telling me it's bonkers
  • It’s not that mad. They largely follow the timeline of their release anyway. It’s just a bit silly because there’s going to be things you miss out or don’t get and nothing really to be gained.
  • As someone who’s seen all of them already, I think I’d find it interesting to rewatch in chronological order. I reckon it’d be a confusing way to see them for the first time though. Thanks to Muzzy, we’re going to find out.
  • poprock wrote:
    As someone who’s seen all of them already, I think I’d find it interesting to rewatch in chronological order. I reckon it’d be a confusing way to see them for the first time though. Thanks to Muzzy, we’re going to find out.

Hence my interest in it as well. Curious as to how muzzy finds it all by the end of that last movie.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I could understand if there was something to be gained from it. Been eyeing up the machete order (including Phantom Menace though, no way will I deprive him of the Maul duel and fantastic music) for Star Wars for Nate because slotting the prequels in after Empire makes sense, you keep the surprise twist at the end of Empire, find out the back story of Vader, then you can see the conclusion to the whole thing.

This way you've got Muzzy doing a lolwut about someone with a hammer that I can't even find in the Captain Marvel post credits scenes and grumbling about references to a film he's not going to watch for another 25 films because he's more determined to own himself thoroughly than watch the films in their intended order.
  • Incredibly G.Man voice coming from Muzzy’s house:
    WHO BUILT THIS FRANCHISE?!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There must be a better "trim the fat" list, losing superfluous films not integral to the overall plot? Only one Iron Man will be enough, for example.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think Captain Marvel suffers from the character's backstory from the comics being unapplicable in the MCU. I know the MCU films are only very loose adaptations of the comics material to start with but it probably makes it harder when you're trying to keep something of the source material while also, by necessity, completely ignoring it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • There must be a better "trim the fat" list, losing superfluous films not integral to the overall plot? Only one Iron Man will be enough, for example.

Such a list exists. It was mentioned somewhere before infinity war part 2 was released. Im sure we did discuss it on here.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So that's Captain Marvel done and dusted.

Yeah not a good movie. The post credits bit was kinda intriguing though I don't really know who those people are. Is dude with hammer in the spaceship Thor or just another alien dude with a hammer? Maybe won't find out too Endgame in 25 movies time, which it explicitly forward-references...

Cat was good. Explains eyemask thing lol. Acting and special effects underwhelming throughout though.

Oh well, iron Man triple bill up next, before some actual avengers stuff.

Confused whether/why "agents of shield" existed before Captain Marvel arrived... Seemed like they were a known thing, but what was their remit??

The dude with the hammer in the space ship is Beta Ray Bill, who got his own hammer in a relatively deep bit of Thor-lore where he fought then befriended Thor.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I wonder what other things Muzzy can do in the wrong order. Bread in the middle of the sandwich, filling on the outside?

Actually, isn't he the original stand up wiper of the forum? It's all starting to make a twisted kind of sense.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not taking this bullshit sitting down
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So Iron Man

Will it's more coherent than Captain Marvel, and less supernatural than First Avenger, so I'd hardly have guessed they were the same series yet. I kinda like it more than the others I guess? But a bit underway about the tropey "white weapons manufacturer" is the good guy vs all these pesky Afghanistanis, but I'm going that's gonna get turned in its head...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are you not even watching them in one sitting?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm kinda trying, but rarely have two hour windows...

Got 1h04 into iron Man tho, and good to see he has indeed turned away from guns n stuff, so yeah I'll happily crack on tomorrow. No Samuel L / shield dudes / alien tech / tesseract shizzle yet so :shrug:
  • I really have no idea what you (or we) are expecting here
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Why would you expect it to follow on from Captain Marvel?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    There must be a better "trim the fat" list, losing superfluous films not integral to the overall plot? Only one Iron Man will be enough, for example.
    Such a list exists. It was mentioned somewhere before infinity war part 2 was released. Im sure we did discuss it on here.

I'm sure we did but I reckon you can go with the following 10 and be covered on most of the stuff (well, assuming we are focusing on the infinity stones story)
    Spoiler:
    Obviously, you leave out a lot of things, but I think you'd have the main points covered in some form. 
    In terms of defo can be left out - Hulk, Captain Marvel, Thor: Dark World, Iron Man 2 and 3, and maybe Black Panther I think contain so little towards the main story that I reckon you would be ok without them. And only Black Panther is really decent from that list. (I do have a soft spot for Iron Man 2 though - Its a mess, but a fun one.)
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Because it's set after it dur.
    @ sparky

Spoiler:
  • I’m loving just how much of a moron Muzzy is being here. Keep it up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why would you expect it to follow on from Captain Marvel?

I thought they all interlinked and stuff. Overarching story and whatnot. Are some exempt? Or is it just the characters suddenly gang up in the Avengers ones?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!