Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    That bit on the carrier when Hulk comes out is the best Hulk bit of all Hulk bits.

Yeah, it's great. Really tense and the sense of sheer danger around hulk is great. It makes the payoff when he sides with the avengers all the better in the finale.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Meh
  • Nah. Best hulk bit and only top moment in avengers is when he 'Fights' loki near the end.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Cheeky punch he gets on on Thor made me lol as well.
  • Muzzy is entering the worst run for me I think.
    Iron Man 3, Ultron and Civil War I found to be really dull and it's the point I stopped bothering to go to the cinema for these.
  • I really liked IM3 And CW to be honest. Ultron I thought was merely alright.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • CW was a proper high point, I still watch it time to time.

I was really underwhelmed by Ultron at the time, but watched it recently and enjoyed it a lot. Maybe just because it’s one I still haven’t seen a thousand times, or maybe because my expectations weren’t as ridiculous.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ultron was at best average. That character with the stone in his head was basically just a plot device. I think it did mix in well with the Shield series though. Assume you are watching those in order too Muzzy?

Civil War was ok. Only problem with it and the Silver Soldier films was you were supposed to give a crap for Banksy (his “dead” mate). But between Cap 1 and Cap 2 I’d totally forgot about his character so when you see his face and are supposed to be shock I was like who is he again?

IM3 definitely the best if the three for me, if only for...
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Same here, thought Ultron was a mess on first viewing but second time round was a better watch. I think it's down to Ultron being made and vanquished in the same film, they could have set him up better in the iron mans.
  • I think I was getting a bit burnt out on them and of the whole series I think that run is where they take themselves the most seriously, probably too seriously.

When I eventually saw Guardians it dragged me back in again with a return of the humour and, you know, colour.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Guardians is the best of them. Proper tone shift. They've tried to replicate it afterwards, I'm looking at you Ragnarok, but they've not been able to. That super serious into daft dance scene stuff only works properly once.
  • I really like Ragnarok but yeah Guardians has the perfect tone.
    My only real criticism of Guardians and it is minor is that there is perhaps a bit too much macguffin going on as they start to sow the seeds leading to Infinity War.
  • Ultron improves on repeat viewing but it's still a messy movie. Winter soldier is coming up though so hopefully you get a lick out of that. I think it's the best stand alone movie. Although it helps if you know who black widow, cap, shield and hydra all are, those points aren't really essential.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Winter Soldier is a very good film, a proper thriller, and has the best Cap bits in it that cemented him as my favourite Avenger and Chris Evans (not that one) as one of my favourite actors.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Both Galaxies, and Winter Warrior, and Thor Thingy, are all before Ultron I think? That's still a while off isn't it?
  • Just looked it up.
    Thor:Dark World (utter garbage), both Guardians and Winter Soldier are all before Ultron apparently.
    Although I'm really not sure it matters other than Winter Soldier which is essential for Cap's motives come Civil War.

To be perfectly honest I cant remember anything that happens in Thor :Dark World.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It had space elves.
  • He goes on the Tube and is given bad directions.
  • I could be wrong but I've always felt Thor:Dark World is the first film to suffer from the Disney input. If I remember right there was a bit of a backlash (not huge) to Brannaghs more jovial take on Thor in the first film so they got in a Game of Thrones Director to give the film a darker age. The only problem then is that inbetween making Dark World, Avengers comes out and pretty much sets the Marvel Template for Big Action/ Witty Quips. So Dark World has to change its approach mid-production.

I'm not really basing that on anything I've read, just a feeling from watching it because its a real dis-jointed mess of a movie. I know Chris Ecclesten complained about much of his character being left out in the final edit so that more Loki could be shoe-horned in (again, thanks to the success of Loki in Avengers)
    SFV - reddave360
  • I found Civil War and Ultron boring. Those two films are the ones where Marvel forgot about making movies that work separately and instead treated them as episodes in a series.

With a year or more between episodes, they needed more ‘previously on the Avengers …’

They’ll probably work better for Muzzy, bingeing them all at once.
  • poprock wrote:
    I found Civil War and Ultron boring. Those two films are the ones where Marvel forgot about making movies that work separately and instead treated them as episodes in a series.

Not the first time I heard that complaint particularly around that time of release. Great if you were invested but as a mate put it, you don't go to the movies and have to try and remember everything that happened before.
    SFV - reddave360
  • In Marvels defence, you have 99% of movies to choose from if that's how you feel.
  • Oh absolutely, I was invested and I loved the link up. More of it suited me. But I know it put off some people (evidently not that much judging by the success of the series)

I also wouldn't see it as a criticism that's really fair to be honest. Ultron was movie number 11 in a series that really started to focus on a connected narrative quite early.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think it was the naming conventions that made it somewhat more confusing.
    Iron Man 3, Ultron and Civil War work as a trilogy but they were called Iron Man, Avengers and Captain America.

Continuation isn't rare in movies but they are normally presented as a collection, normally a trilogy.
  • Not sure about that. Hard to not say its a continuing series given that Iron Man 3 deals heavily with the fallout from Avengers and Civil War is as much about the Cap / Bucky situation from Winter Soldier as it is the ongoing narrative. 

I'm not sure if its comparable to other films series by this point. Iron Man 3 is film number 7, Ultron is number 11 and Civil War number 13. Thats past 2 trilogies worth of film already and Civil War was marketed as the start of Phase 3 so in no way can it be seen as the closing part of a trilogy.

I'm sure there is something that came before but I cant think of any film series that was so episodic in nature. Iron Man 1 & 2 and Hulk maybe dont quite fit that but by Thor (which is the 4th movie) its very clearly aiming to be an ongoing. I know that series like Bond hit the high numbers, but they were rarely sequels to the previous film let alone linked between several.
    SFV - reddave360
  • So far behind on the tv thread that i dont know if it was discussed on there so i will post here instead.

Titans season 2, only a few epsiodes into it.

However,
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I'm quite enjoying Iron Man 3. Home stretch, and I think it's up there from the ones so far.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished it last night. Yeah kinda fun in a knowingly dumb kind of way. Thor Dark World up next...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!