Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ha ha, that's either sarcasm or a compliment. I'll take both.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Ha ha, that's either sarcasm or a compliment. I'll take both.
    I'll add to that compliment. I like too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Thanks. I am.
  • er, for anyone who has been following this thread (cause i havent) can anyone tell me if i offered one of my songs for a critical mauling yet?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't think so, although I can be rather poor at following this thread myself despite having instigated it.

I can say that I've witnessed no maulings as yet.
  • Okeydoke, well, if anyone fancies can they say if they like this song i did for my chickadee with Reason all sorts of long ago

https://soundcloud.com/lazy-gunn/relax

I'm presuming this is the right thread for it
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is indeed. Odd that you wrote a track for your girlfriend which shares the name with one of the most famous songs about gay sex ever recorded. Were you trying to hint at something?
  • That hadnt actually occured to me, maybe we are both gay though, now you say it
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If this turns out to be a high-energy disco number then that may well be true.
  • It's possibly the exact opposite, so the plot thickens for sure
  • How'd you go about learning to tinker with Reason gunny, and it is the best thing to start off with? I am tempted to yarr one of these DAWs presently.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like it, very pleasant indeed. Slight videogame feel at certain points, don't know where you'd have picked that up from...

@Tempy, I use Reason and I love it. I reckon it's the DAW with the shallowest learning curve by quite a long way, plus the Propellerhead website has got a fucktonne of tutorial videos running from the basics up to far more advanced techniques. 

I believe you can download the demo which allows you to tinker with everything, with the only restriction being that you can't open any saved files.

It's definitely worth a try.
  • @ tempy

I just kinda taught myself by clicking things! It did help that i understood the idea of a piano roll from fl and before that, cubase, and it extra also helped that i bought myself a nice cheap midi controller which i think is an absolutely essential tool if you want to get down to this stuff i got this thingydoodle it was only fifty quid or something

Its not really terribly hard once you have something like that - Reason is nice cause there's so many sample packs and suchlike to plunder its mindboggling and you end up with masses of choice, while using the same familiar instruments all the time so its easy to get an affinity to it

I use Ableton there days simply because i like using VSTis for my sounds but i reckon Reason isnt a bad place to start at all.. i find fruityloops profoundly confusing these days
  • Thank you Yoss/Gunn. As for input, had my eye on the AKAI MPK Mini for a while because it gets good reviews and can be had for sub £50 on a few sites.

I had reason when I was younger but a lack of patience/youtube meant that I never managed to make a peep out of it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I like it, very pleasant indeed. Slight videogame feel at certain points, don't know where you'd have picked that up from...

Hah all my songs sound like videogame music, its something i cant seem to break and i dont know if its some kind of weird mindlink with games that permeates everything i do, and i do feel it tends to lead to 'cheap' music, but thanks for the compliment
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    I use Ableton there days simply because i like using VSTis for my sounds but i reckon Reason isnt a bad place to start at all.. i find fruityloops profoundly confusing these days

You know that a version of VST type things (Rack Extensions in the parlance) are now available for Reason?

Not quite the range yet, and not sure if anyone's worked out how to get them for free if that's your bag, but still.
  • @yoss

I'm just kind of used to Ableton now! I like it, i like how it's set out and everything, and it seems whatever workflow tickles you is the best way to get you working, whatever that tool might be

I'll not hammer the thread for opinions on everything i did straight away unless you wanna visit my soundcloud, although im not sure you should because my musics er, silly but sup to you https://soundcloud.com/lazy-gunn but my last bunch of things have been done on ableton and tend to sound rather different, better or worse i dont know but its just what i have the hang of
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hear a lot of good things about Ableton, I really should give it a try, I just feel that there's too much for me still to learn in Reason.

And I will have a listen to your Soundcloud, I can even add it to the OP if you like.
  • Yeah sure, why not, although its generally underwhelming and/or silly, cheers

And like i say whatever tool works for you really, Reason's a perfectly powerful and capable system so if you know your way around it there's no compelling reason to change, maybe try other stuff out of good practice but it's going to be demoralising having to rethink the way you work with an alien environment, thats how i feel anyways, and there'sno real reason for you to do so. A few folk i know use fl studio which just confounds me but the output is grand so hey
  • I'm a fool for contemplating DAW stuff, I never even got around to buying the guitar theory books I was recommended, and i've not had a piano lesson since december. I am surrounded by kit that I can barely use, I am a real idiot.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As I say, you can try out Reason for free, and you might be surprised at how easy it is to get to grips with. It really is very intuitive, especially if you've ever had any experience of playing about with real hardware, even if it's just running a few different guitar effect pedals into an amp.
  • I probably will, I just through a bit of an existential wobble. I restrung both my guitars at the weekend, now they both buzz weirdly on the D strings. sigh. sigh. sigh.
  • Though Reason is probably easier to learn from top to bottom i'd suggest learning Ableton over Reason. Learning a DAW is always a pain in the balls so you may as well learn something that can give you slightly better end results. Reason is great but it does have that Reason sound, it can feel/sound a bit confining.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not sure if the 'Reason sound' really applies any more. The new mixing desk they've included in the last couple of versions makes even existing instruments sound far better than those old 14:2 mixers ever did.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I'm a fool for contemplating DAW stuff, I never even got around to buying the guitar theory books I was recommended, and i've not had a piano lesson since december. I am surrounded by kit that I can barely use, I am a real idiot.

With a cheap midi controller and a few spare hours you'll be knocking stuff out easily, if your controller has a keyboard and you're already ok tinkling the ole ivories youre automatically more capable of making some awesome music than most the people who ever try to take this stuff up

Might seem intimidating or i dunno, some terrible distance away from being something you can wring something your proud of out of but its not really the case,its dead simple imo
  • You're a baaaaaad influence, but that sounds promising.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm not sure if the 'Reason sound' really applies any more. The new mixing desk they've included in the last couple of versions makes even existing instruments sound far better than those old 14:2 mixers ever did.

Good point, i've not had a go on the new iterations with proper soundwaves and recording capabilities etc
  • Gah, typed a bunch but lost it due to fat fingers.

Anyways, @tempy: short of it was, I reckon try a free VST host (are there still free or demo versions of Reaper? Or FL studio or something) and a buncha free VST synths and fx from kvr to see if you've got a taste for it. You can have plenty fun fiddling with wubwub with zero outlay.

Then if you reckon it's for you, I think it's good to get a decent host and a very small selection of choice plugins - that way you get to know them well rather than what I do which is fiddle about with some presets and never really get anything I'm happy with :-/

http://www.kvraudio.com/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!