All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • mk64 wrote:
    has anyone here got solar panels?

One month on and no answer. I guess none of us have solar panels.

Our rebuilding and renovations are finally complete. Well, nearly. We’re moving back in tomorrow. As of 8am this morning there’s still a plumber, joiner, kitchen fitter, and site foreman hard at work in our flat. Well, except the foreman. He’s just telling the others what to do.

Two weeks ahead of schedule, by the end of it all.

There’ll be snagging, there always is. For example, last night I called round to check progress and found that one of the radiators has leaked overnight. And the water has run across the brand-new flooring and discoloured it. Also, the shelving unit in the bathroom is faulty and we’re gonna need to get it replaced.

But, y’know … nearly there.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yay, what a year
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Happy moveday Poprock. May all your things survive.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Hooray for moveday. Hope you have minimal snags to sort out.

I have a house now, we're mostly moved in but still have stuff in boxes everywhere. Does anyone want to come cut my grass?

47929093561_10d65ed1dc_h.jpg
  • That person had a weird face
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Im on the verge of buying a robo mower. Anyone have any experience with them?
  • You army lot are all lazy. Drones, now this.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I want to automate all the tedious shit in my life, and have subscriptions for all the stuff i regularly consume.

If there was a subscription service for toilet roll i would probably subscribe.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm sure Amazon can do that for you. Don't you have Amazon Now?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dunno, I'll have to look into it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Amazon Abyss. Don't look into it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But it's so beautiful!
  • You can get an amazon button if you don't have Amazon listening device. Press button, roll appears next day or within the second or something.
  • Our toilet rolls are on subscription...and it helps charity too!

https://uk.whogivesacrap.org/
  • Getting serious about buying our first home. Mortgage in principle gone through. Saw a house on Monday. Two today. 

Didn’t fancy the one we saw on Monday. It got sold quickly though. Cheap but required lots of work. 

Torn between two we saw today. One already done up, the other needs lots of work again but lots of scope for extension etc. 

Hmmmm.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • lastant wrote:
    Our toilet rolls are on subscription...and it helps charity too! https://uk.whogivesacrap.org/

Huh, they're pretty big here too. For some reason I thought it was just an Aus thing.

I'm still a million years away from buying a place but I've done some finance restructuring because I'm really not saving as much as I should be with my salary. I'd love to own something at some point in my life. Not because it's "the australian dream" and something that advertising has pushed for as long as I can remember but just because I don't want to be living in someone else's home for once. It's usually fine for a while and then it comes back and reminds you that you're not living in your own home.

Even if it's something as simple as me organising a heater technician to come and service the gas heater because it hasn't been done for years and because the other times I've tried to organise it through the proper channels it hasn't happened. Of course when I then try and get a refund on the essential house maintenance that should have happened already the landlord says no because I did it myself which means they couldn't just hire their "handyman" person to do it on the cheap.

I could have made a deal of it but I don't want to because I have a dog at the place when I'm technically not supposed to. Another bullshit thing. It just adds a layer of stress that shouldn't be there for living in what is supposed to be the place you relax in.

Not sure I'd ever be able to afford a house with a proper yard like I'm in at the moment though unless I want to live way out of the city.

Belated congrats on your buy though Rouj. Maybe I'll be able to do something by 38 also. Maybe.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Getting serious about buying our first home. Mortgage in principle gone through. Saw a house on Monday. Two today.  Didn’t fancy the one we saw on Monday. It got sold quickly though. Cheap but required lots of work.  Torn between two we saw today. One already done up, the other needs lots of work again but lots of scope for extension etc.  Hmmmm.

I don't know what it's like over there but here it seems that the first houses you look at you spend a lot of time getting excited/attached until they go way over your budget at auction and then slowly but surely you start to hate the process as more and more houses go for more than they're worth until you finally end up paying more than your original limit just so you can stop this damn cycle of disappointment.
    But good luck!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Getting serious about buying our first home. Mortgage in principle gone through. Saw a house on Monday. Two today. 

Didn’t fancy the one we saw on Monday. It got sold quickly though. Cheap but required lots of work. 

Torn between two we saw today. One already done up, the other needs lots of work again but lots of scope for extension etc. 

Hmmmm.

Exciting times! Yeah as shab says try to about emotional attachment till you actually have the keys lol, but I hope a move works will for ya. I'm guessing pretty local still, cos schools?
  • Good luck with the house buying Elf!!!!

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • mk64 wrote:
    has anyone here got solar panels?
    I worked with a full on eco warrior who had them. Unless I got the maths wrong, the expense of fitting them and replacing them periodically was barely if at all covered by any savings.

I'll be happy to be corrected, but it sounded like something that should either be done with a gov subsidy, or in the spirit of 'for the greater good' rather than to save money.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Yeah, I’ve looked into it and the economy is poor. Family in law have gone all-in on them anyway, “for the greater good”. I’ll hold out until they become cheaper or the tech improves.

Where we live is very windy though, dunno what the viability of a small wind turbine is.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Roujin wrote:
    Good luck with the house buying Elf!!!!

Thanks dude! @Shabby too

@muzzy it’s currently between a house right behind your current office, so local for familiarity and current primary school and station etc.

But other house is close to Southgate station and Ashmole secondary which is the one I’d like my kids to get into. Enfield (Town) ones just aren’t as good. Where you planning on sending yours? St Anne’s in Town for girls is top class, otherwise Highlands???
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Yeah, I’ve looked into it and the economy is poor. Family in law have gone all-in on them anyway, “for the greater good”. I’ll hold out until they become cheaper or the tech improves.

Where we live is very windy though, dunno what the viability of a small wind turbine is.

Carrying on this thread, i think all new builds should have to have the ability to generate 50% of their predicted electricity usage.
  • I would be ok with that but would need to have something in there to protect the price of "affordable" homes, which are already unaffordable.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Doesnt that have more to do with the price of land rather than construction?
  • Yeah but you can bet your arse these developers would profiteer out of having to put solar panels on roofs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Anyone ever done their own skirting board? I have to replace a few metres and I don't want to hire a carpenter for just that. I'm no handyman but I figure a few 45 degree cuts can't be too hard.
  • Not done skirting but done picture rail which is similar.
    Buy a mitre block.
    Remember to factor in the angle on measurements and check then double check you are cutting the correct angle depending if it is wrapping road a corner or going into a corner.

If you never want to take it off afix with No More Nails. Tack it in place with thin nails while the glue sets then remove the nails or hammer them in and if painting apply spirit based paint, water based paint will rust them and leave yellow spots on white paint.

When done you might want to run a bit of decorators caulking along the top for a nice finish.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok, cheers. I only have a hacksaw, mind you.
  • Hacksaw is fine as long as the blade is still sharp.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!