All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Woo! Just accepted an offer on The House of Tigers. Now we just need to find a House of Tiger Triple AAA Edition to move to. Didn't get the asking price but bottled it at the final corner. Close enough.

Congratulations! Selling at all right now is to be fucking celebrated.
  • Cheers. 

Really excited. Frustratingly, we've probably seen 4 houses over the last 6 months we would have loved (for different reasons) but they've all been snapped up immediately and without having sold, we had no chance. 

I got very annoyed with our buyers at first when they offered £20k below the asking price (we accepted £2k below in the end) until I remembered we did the very same and got our current place for £15K under what the asking price was. If you don't ask, you don't get, I suppose. Though we were maxing out our budget, whereas we know they could have met the asking price and were just gunning for a deal.

What is really frustrating is how little you get for your money where we are (Heybridge/Maldon). It's fucking galling.
  • This bad boy is just around the corner but sadly above our budget...

One for the Sea of Thieves gang.
  • Congrats Tiger! That's good news!

Living on a boat would be weird. I wonder what the upkeep is like.
  • “A stunning and distinctive warehouse conversion …”

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/57579264

Yes, if by ‘conversion’ you mean ‘I stuck a bed in the middle of the gym, what more do you want?’
  • Looks like a dance studio.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The apartment has a unique storage area (formally changing rooms),
  • Haha.
    It is in London mind, they have gone over and above the effort required to sell for that price.

I do wonder if it is approved for domestic living though.
  • What does "healthy lease" in the description mean?
  • Not free hold I imagine, but a long lease?
  • poprock wrote:
    “A stunning and distinctive warehouse conversion …”

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/57579264

Yes, if by ‘conversion’ you mean ‘I stuck a bed in the middle of the gym, what more do you want?’

Lazy sods, a partition wall would have at least given you a seperate bedroom and living room.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Not free hold I imagine, but a long lease?
    So you pay 350K for something you don't actually own?
  • Well, you own the building, but not the land it's on.

It's pretty much a scam as far as I'm concerned.
  • Anything less than 70 to 80 years on a lease and banks wont touch it.
    Given however that they have just chucked some spare furniture into a dance studio the lease should pretty healthy unless it carries over from the previous usage of the space.
  • g.man wrote:
    Not free hold I imagine, but a long lease?
    So you pay 350K for something you don't actually own?

Pretty much (although as Dante said, you own the building). You'll get leases that are like 999 years long which is meant to effectively mean you're sorted, but people still obviously favour free hold.
  • There is a logic to it in flats even if not a perfect system.
    It is leaking into other properties now though. There are new build estates that have leasehold houses on them.

If leasehold you normally pay ground rent btw.
  • Cheers fellas. Saying the lease is "generous" sounds very much to me like estate agent bullshit. If it's so fucking good, then just state how long it is.
  • g.man wrote:
    Looks like a dance studio.

In a fair world, this would be body's gaff.

Wait, I looked at it and there are... No windows? What about the plants?

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, the only natural light comes from the stairwell. What a depressing "home" that would be.
  • The over-hob extractor fan looks particularly effective

imagine bringing someone home on a date to that place
  • g.man wrote:
    Looks like a dance studio.

In a fair world, this would be body's gaff.

Wait, I looked at it and there are... No windows? What about the plants?

There are floor to ceiling windows, it says so in the blurb.

• Yes, you have a spectacular view of the stairs.
  • Our neighbour (prior owner of our house) is being a dick. I think it’s time for me to stop trying to keep it friendly and just put him in his place. Which is a shame, I’d really rather not.

After lawyering up and making clear that we own exclusive rights and access to the barn and garage, he conceded that we were right. I played it super friendly and said he could have a month to clear out the garage and that he could even store some of his stuff in our barn.

Six weeks later and he hasn’t bothered to clear the garage out. Still hasn’t given us the keys. My wife pulled him up about it the other day and he says “Oh, it’s quite a task. It’ll take me at least another month. I have a freezer in there full of meat that belongs to another chap in the village. It’ll be three weeks before he can come collect it.”

He’s simultaneously filling up our barn with his belongings. Not even stuff that’s coming from the garage, just random stuff. Lawnmowers, trailers, furniture, all sorts. Not just the ‘firewood and a few bits and pieces’ we agreed.

He’s also locked the doors to two rooms in the barn and kept the keys for himself. That’s not on at all – locking us out of rooms in our own building? Er, no.

Then, this afternoon, my wife spots him taking a couple of his pals from the village for a wander around our meadow. The one he sold to us along with the house. Which is very much private property and basically the same as him just deciding to invite folk into our garden.

So yeah … just venting a bit here before I go give him a talking to.

We’ve been amazingly generous and he’s taking the piss. We gave him a month’s grace, rent-free, on a garage/lock-up. We offered him free access and free self-storage in our barn for as long as he lives here. And he’s still refusing to hand over the keys and vacate the spaces we own outright. He needs to give his head a wobble.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What a prick. Seems like he didn't want to sell at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Lawyers needed. And use of your barn is now off the table.
  • poprock wrote:
    Our neighbour (prior owner of our house) is being a dick. I think it’s time for me to stop trying to keep it friendly and just put him in his place. Which is a shame, I’d really rather not.

After lawyering up and making clear that we own exclusive rights and access to the barn and garage, he conceded that we were right. I played it super friendly and said he could have a month to clear out the garage and that he could even store some of his stuff in our barn.

Six weeks later and he hasn’t bothered to clear the garage out. Still hasn’t given us the keys. My wife pulled him up about it the other day and he says “Oh, it’s quite a task. It’ll take me at least another month. I have a freezer in there full of meat that belongs to another chap in the village. It’ll be three weeks before he can come collect it.”

He’s simultaneously filling up our barn with his belongings. Not even stuff that’s coming from the garage, just random stuff. Lawnmowers, trailers, furniture, all sorts. Not just the ‘firewood and a few bits and pieces’ we agreed.

He’s also locked the doors to two rooms in the barn and kept the keys for himself. That’s not on at all – locking us out of rooms in our own building? Er, no.

Then, this afternoon, my wife spots him taking a couple of his pals from the village for a wander around our meadow. The one he sold to us along with the house. Which is very much private property and basically the same as him just deciding to invite folk into our garden.

So yeah … just venting a bit here before I go give him a talking to.

We’ve been amazingly generous and he’s taking the piss. We gave him a month’s grace, rent-free, on a garage/lock-up. We offered him free access and free self-storage in our barn for as long as he lives here. And he’s still refusing to hand over the keys and vacate the spaces we own outright. He needs to give his head a wobble.

Lawyer up, letter, notice, 14 days and his stuff is outside. Change locks, the lot..don't bother talking to him. Invest in lawyers sending a firm, considered letter to him. Get someone in and change locks. Trespass claims, the lot.

This is a man planning to adversely possess (IE squat) things in his head he did not mean to sell. Establish this early and quickly. He may be doing the same thing on your land IE establish or evidence a right of way (here's a witnesss statement, years down the line, from his mates saying we've been walking there for years, no one said anything).

Money again. Fence it off. It's not your fault, it's his. Maybe your solicitor will disagree about the last bit.

No good talking, start writing. Paper trail. Maybe if he's a dick your solicitor will just advise go write, wait 14 days, then leave all his stuff outside his entrance. Including the meat.

Lockdown makes no difference. His friend makes no difference. Make sure he knows you're no mark. He thinks you're a yuppy who can be intimidated.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • He's absolutely taking the piss, breaking the law and seems to be acting like the lord of the manor and having a willy waving contest. Sadly, a solicitor's letter is probably the only way forward.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • You’re all correct, I know. But … this is the countryside. And he’ll be living next-door for the foreseeable. I’m going to give him a talking to first. Letter from the lawyer is plan B and will happen if he doesn’t put his dick back in his pants immediately.

The man’s a bully and has been acting like lord of the manor with the other neighbours for far too long. Standing up to him might be enough, and might get him to change his attitude to the whole group – good for everyone in the long run. If not, if he doesn’t respond well to the conversation, fuck him. Lawyers and locksmiths tout de suite.
  • Murder him. Tell the pigs the cops did it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!