Hollow Knight - the first one, Tempy is forgiven
  • I have Salt and Sanctuary installed but haven't played it properly. Can't give a proper comparison yet, sorry.

Edit: what muzzy said!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Per my non-spoilery review-lite:
    It's basically Ori with swords, or 2D Dark Souls without numberwang, or Meat Boy RPG, or Salt & Sanctuary distilled to a funner essence.  It's basically a molding of three of my favourite games ever (those formentioned, excluding S&S, which isn't quite that rarified) - but then it's own thing on top, with charm, character, depth, fuckloads of content (more free DLC coming soon)

Ta.  You might be a crap version of me overall but your reviews are better.
  • Played this last night - got as far as...
    Spoiler:
    It hasn't quite clicked with me as yet if I'm honest.  That may just be because I'm terrible at the combat (the spoilered bit took me a fair amount of time, and I'm acutely aware it's likely to be one of the easier encounters).  It also doesn't help that I'm one of those weird/arrogant people who doesn't particularly feel any great delight at finally defeating a boss, but rather irritation when I can't.

Which isn't to say I think it's a bad game at all.  It's a beautifully wrought little world, and there are plenty of hints at detail and depth to come.  The platforming, like the combat, is precise, unlike my thumbs, and always utterly fair.  Many of the NPCs are charming or at the very least amusing.  It's just, I'm not sure I'm having fun yet.  There's enough there that I'm going to keep going though...
  • Just got past the point you spoilered Tin and I’ve gotta day this game has got its hooks into me in a big way. I went to bed last night thinking of it, started doodling maps in my head. This is gonna be a time sink I fear
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Ah, forgot to mention the learning curve in the platforming and combat.
    It's exponential. Literally.

If you persevere you'll actually laugh at how you used to struggle with earlier bosses and puzzles.
    It's more than a little bit like dark souls in that respect.
  • hunk wrote:
    Ah, forgot to mention the learning curve in the platforming and combat. It's exponential.

I had a feeling that was the case, hence my anxiety at struggling with an early boss...
  • The thing it has most in common with Souls is its world design feeling coherent through its metroid layout. The death stuff is inspired by it but nowhere like as important, and the combat is like a dozen 2D Castlevania games. There’s no stamina so Souls comparisons boil down to “it hard”.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think I'll wait with getting this for when I'm done with Bravely Default. I have to ask B if I can buy something nowadays (I don't make money here and don't have a card of my own), and with games it's always "yeah sure, if you're gonna play it why not?!" and that's when my guilt kicks in.

I loved what I saw of it when he played it but I'm also scared I'm too slow to actually be able to get anywhere in this.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Ah, forgot to mention the learning curve in the platforming and combat. It's exponential.
    I had a feeling that was the case, hence my anxiety at struggling with an early boss...

Keep at it!
    Once you've reached the city of Tears the game really opens up.
    Be careful which path you choose though, depending on what abilities you've unlocked some paths are easier than others.
  • So is Ori recommened?

I’m on a run of metroidy games (currently playing La-Mulana). Hollow Knight will be bought in the next sale.

Ori worth it?
  • Lots of people love Ori. I don't. Watch some vids I guess?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yes (IMO)

@ mrsmr2
  • I thought it was exceptionally good and on most days it'd be one of my top 5 games of all time.  I bought an Xbox One S for it and I don't regret it.
  • Yes, Ori comes highly recommended but then again I am a sucker for metroidvanias.
    Get it on a sale for a tenner, good stuff.
  • Right, kids are in bed, wife’s watching some shite about houses, time to find that place I died.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Right, Ori shall be bought.  Thanks all.
  • Ah ffs, I’ve ended up back at the start of the area.
  • Fucking found it! Map guy helped a lot. Turns out I’d been really close to map guy much earlier and just not gone far enough in one direction. Sound is definitely crucial in this game.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Right, Ori shall be bought.  Thanks all.

It's very good. The combat could have been better and the insta-death sections are a blot on an otherwise lovely game.
  • Agree with the combat niggles but I was a huge fan of the insta death bits.
  • Brilliant on the switch - excellent performance
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    so it was worth waiting for and wasn't just the devs taking the piss eh
  • Some of the text is a tad small in handheld but that’s about it. My only problem playing handheld on daily commute is the glare on the screen which is very noticeable given it’s a dark game. Docked is perfect but I’ve got PS4 stuff to be getting on with.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I think I've just found a charm trick.
    Spoiler:
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • so it was worth waiting for and wasn't just the devs taking the piss eh
    It was both
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Finally bit the bullet and started using the pro controller. A vast improvement in terms of control, even though I can’t use headphones now.

However, I’m still not feeling it. Made a fair bit of progress but yeah...it’s nice, but I feel like I’m just going through the motions. That said, thanks to some stuff I picked up, at least combat is kinda fun now.

• You're obviously broken Cinty.

(I haven't actually played it yet so don't know if I like it)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You're right though, Shabs. Broken to fuck.
  • I haven't played it yet but his complaints seem more considered than your praise.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Au contraire, my praise is 100% objective, his criticism 100% subjective & from a flawed human being.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!