Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'll take 1080/120 all day for now. I don't believe in 2160 until they can hit 60Hz at the minimum.
  • Dunno how good this in 4k but thus is supposed to be Titanfall 2 in 4k

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Dunno how good this in 4k but thus is supposed to be Titanfall 2 in 4k

I’ll have a look at that when I get home, no point looking at it on my phone...

Really looking forward to trying different modes. 60fps Gears will be interesting even if only at 1080p with all the bells and whistles.
  • Another Digital Foundry video on back comparability and older Xbox one games

• That’s all the X compatible stuff got!

Wolfenstein for £40 on eBay and and CoD for the same. Awesome. All on the HD and hopefully patched for midnight release.
  • Where did you get cod for £40 ?
  • Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Where did you get cod for £40 ?

eBay, Game wanted £52.99 for it so looked elsewhere. Narrowly missed one for £35!!
  • http://www.xboxygen.com/News/26025-Xbox-One-X-sur-TV-1080p-oui-c-est-plus-beau-et-on-le-prouve?lang=fr

Some really good Xbox One X 1080p supersampled issues in there. Though I can’t read French so no idea what it’s saying about it.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Only the weekend to get out the way and it'll be on us.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    60fps Gears will be interesting even if only at 1080p with all the bells and whistles.

The Megabone's battling against current TV tech. CRTs flicker at 50Hz (PAL) because electron guns fire every 50th/sec like this:

Sa_H.png

And although they're actually dark most of the time, our eyes aren't good enough to see it. The problem with all modern tellies is that they display each frame for its full duration, as shown. This is why we don't see flicker at 60Hz. But when our eyes recognise motion and track it at its current velocity, they move ahead of each static image causing it to smear, because they're using the overall velocity to inform their movement. If the TV's going 1---2---3, our eyes are going 123456789, where 2-4 and 6-8 are smudged as our eyes sweep across the held images.

Sa_H2.png

There are two favoured solutions: increase the Hz and framerate; or add strobing to emulate a CRT. 120Hz is close to fooling most of us, but no console's hitting 120 fps in the near future, so I'd like to see 120Hz Freesync as the next-gen standard, with 90 the minimum target. Strobing's where the screen's darkened in-between frames. My BenQ's service menu allows user-timings, where longer shut-offs trade brightness for improved eyetracking. Matching a CRT's phosphor decay makes it too dark, but you can get somewhat close. However, a lot of games have lower quality textures to maintain their framerates during motion.

TVs have increased their brightness quite a bit over the past ten years, but HDR tellies are only just bright enough without strobing, and it's a big hit. Interpolation blends frames together, but with increased input lag. This tends to be a minor hit on monitors, but more on most TVs. Input lag on modern TVs is routinely twice as high as it was on the best models circa 2009.

I saw a new Sony model for next year, and it's ridiculously thin. The market's a ouroboros, with customers invested in ever-slimmer, sharper (nonmoving) and brighter TVs, leaving manufacturers (who started down this road for the Buck Rogers dollar) with no choice but to pursue that angle. The Sony's tiny speakers are hopeless, and I think they should offer it with and without them. They could be a £20 option with curved projections on the rear to allow some air for a hint of bass (like sidemounted X-minis).

2018 FED/SED TVs could be the thickness of a 2008 LCD, but with grids of miniature electron guns. So you'd get the benefits of a CRT's image with the size (almost), heat, geometry and power consumption of an LCD. But thin wins, and until a manufacturer takes a brave gamble, we're locked in this cycle of disappointment. All developments over the past ten years have been workarounds for the inherent flaws of LCDs.

Interpolation and strobing have been the sole performance concerns following the sorting of pixel response. OLEDs offer pure blacks as furtherance and little else, while HDR selectively increases brightness tied to a higher pixelcount that's undone by 30fps motion.

The best OLEDs get down to around 8ms persistence, so that's ‘on’ for the first quarter of every frame at 30 fps, which is about the same as a cheap 120Hz monitor. TN monitors have significantly lower input lag values, though (half a frame versus two or three).

OLED.png

As for the Megabone, it's a bit hamstrung by its CPU at 60 fps. Exclusive games for it would certainly help, but that's not happening. I think it should've waited another year to take advantage of the first big CPU advancement in years.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    DF sayz my gamez will be teh shineh so I'm happy
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Heh, you'll definitely see an improvement if you're not as fussy about motion as I am.

Higher framerates also improve control by lowering the latency in-between pressing buttons and the game rendering their consequences. I'd love a 90fps WipEout.
  • Well I cancelled my X preorder and bought an S yesterday for several reasons.

Carry on.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Why?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Vere/Gaz/ any other uptakers.

In my Games and apps there's a 'X box One X enhanced' filter now, as I'm sure you know. It shows Diablo 3 as one but not FH3. I assumed this was maybe just showing the games that had already been patched, but when I clicked my 4k patch download box it doesn't seem to have started a 4k patch download for Diablo. Any ideas?

I didn't realise you can do a system transfer, this is great news. Had a tidy up this morning and just kept the stuff I'm playing on there at the moment so it doesn't take as long. I've space for some 4k patches now if any more appear before Tuesday.
  • g.man wrote:
    Why?

A mix of things but mainly reviews. All a bit like yeah its godd but. Gamesradars review rips it to bits. Im adopting a wait and see.

Stupidly i sold my mk1 phat bone so needed a replacement.

Work had on offer on a S. Cod WW2, Forza7, Halo 5 and Asscreed Origins. Cost me £149 after discount.

PSN - minkymu
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You spent all the cash on coke and hookers didn't you. It's ok, we're all friends here.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Most of those would have run/looked the minkies nuts, but pays ya money. The S is a lovely bit of kit though.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • On reflection my ho budget was more important
    PSN - minkymu
  • Aye, dem bitches ain't cheap.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Game have taken my money and are packing the X so no turning back now.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Shinyville awaits.
  • I'll just save some moneh and spray varnish on my screen...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    If you buy one now you could have the patches installed for new year....2019.
  • I'm really not sure how much I'd appreciate this upscaling business. I tend not to notice graphics much when I'm actually playing anyway. I remember playing Destiny on 360 then upgrading to PS4 and not even noticing the improvement in the heat of battle - only when I was stood still admiring stuff. That's not enough for me.

The fact there's no killer game to sell this new power is somewhat of a joke. Some of the old games that look better are still just old games. A mere diversion for half an hour, and only really mean anything at all if you actually played the original. The new stuff is shiny yeah but they still look fine on the bone I've got under my TV.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    If you buy one now you could have the patches installed for new year....2019.
    I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm really not sure how much I'd appreciate this upscaling business. I tend not to notice graphics much when I'm actually playing anyway. I remember playing Destiny on 360 then upgrading to PS4 and not even noticing the improvement in the heat of battle - only when I was stood still admiring stuff. That's not enough for me. The fact there's no killer game to sell this new power is somewhat of a joke. Some of the old games that look better are still just old games. A mere diversion for half an hour, and only really mean anything at all if you actually played the original. The new stuff is shiny yeah but they still look fine on the bone I've got under my TV.

Same as where I stand, Mario has created some of the most beautiful looks of the year in Odyssey and that's running on what's basically a calculator and an SD card. Straight lines and a bit more draw distance though, get in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!