Homebrew
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds like a bottle of poteen/poitin or equivalent.

Can be dodgy. If the distiller doesnt know what he is doing the drink can end up containing methanol (drinkable alchohol is ethanol). Drink enough of that and it can kill you or blind you (blind drunk).

I have several bottles of the rare oul stuff. It usually comes out at a party when people are feeling brave. It can be very good but it will put your lights out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    There are entry level kits one can buy. Everything is in a can. Empty it into a bucket and you add water , yeast (usually supplied in a sachet in the kit) and sugar - then put a close fitting lid on the bucket and let nature take its course.  Some kits come with the bucket.
    A housemate at uni got given something like that for Xmas one year and brought it back with him. The results were... yeasty. Not a pleasant drinking experience but it got us pissed. Think we just put it all in plastic water bottles.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You're meant to ensure that the sediment remains in the bucket which can be tricky when siphoning into the bottles.  Even then, the bottles will have some settlement in them too and you have to be careful when pouring/drinking.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    finings are mainly to clarify the beer. If you want to be veggie/vegan friendsly or just don't like the idea if finings, then in my experience a tiuny amount of tonic water will massively speed up the settling process to give you clearer beer
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good info. Didn't know that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If we were late racking a new beer or the previous one moved faster than we expected we'd do it and rather than waiting three days for the keg to settle could serve in around 4-5 hours (tiny amount as well, third to a half a baby mixer bottle in a 22). Did a little homebrew a few summers back with a couple of mates, and the same trick worked then. Though the thing about siphoning is you can do it without disturbing the beer so you shouldn't get a huge amount of sediment. Forward planning is good there though, have positioned barrels in the airing cupboard (hot press as you called it) the wrong way round so had to move it to check it or siphon some off which kinda defeats the object
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Siphon? Filter?

This topic really did belong in the game thread...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also, even in pubs, lots of glass is no longer on deposits, so you could ask your local if you can have you pick of the glass bin at the end of the night

Then grab a capping machine and blanks

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-twin-lever-bottle-capper/invt/0191082

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-beer-bottle-metal-caps-50pk/invt/0022566

Maybe I drink in pubs far too often, but I always found the landlady more than amenable to this
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think hot press might be a Northern Ireland term :)  So I took the liberty of describing it. It gets airing cupboard here as well - hot press may be more old school.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hot press is from the republic. In fact, any cupboard is called a press. You must be a southerner at heart.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  :)

Was a phrase used by my parents who were born in the 30s so the vernacular was probably more island-wide then.
  • I was confused as fuck the day my Irish mate Des asked, 'pass me the yoke from the press'

er... the what from the where now?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yoke is any object of use in the current context. Have heard that one used in the North by out-of-town folk.
  • That still probably wouldn't have helped.

Pass me the thingamajigwhatsnameadoodle.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!