Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    And takes longer to fall apart.
  • My main investment was IOTA. That's it, imma have to start turning tricks again
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Of all the places I wouldn't expect an article on blockchain, it would be Edge magazine. But lo and behold, there is a blockchain article in the latest edition. Not read it yet (the article that is).
  • [4]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • HODL
  • [8]
  • [1]

Bugger. It’s ok though, the Korean market’s waking up.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    WODLING in Spain.
  • Great speech by Carney on future of money, crypto etc.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/speech/2018/mark-carney-speech-to-the-inaugural-scottish-economics-conference

It's like he's been on this thread. Everyone interested in bc etc should read it.
  • Btw the edge article is 6 pages long. I really should screens hit it onto this forum.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Great speech by Carney on future of money, crypto etc.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/speech/2018/mark-carney-speech-to-the-inaugural-scottish-economics-conference

It's like he's been on this thread. Everyone interested in bc etc should read it.

Doesn't matter, it'll be spun by a news sit called "hodlfinex" as "Bank of England says financial systems need to incorporate some aspects of crypto", and Dino will post it in a couple of days.

• Watched. Didn't understand it all but my take is he is saying "bitcoin is bs but blockchain is a very useful technology." Which is what i've been saying, so of course that's my interpretation :)

In other news i was at a tradeshow yesterday and there was a great seminar from a company using ethereum to create something which could have a big impact on our industry https://www.bvexpo.com/

Please note before you get excited that i am in no way saying that because ethereum is a great technology that you should go out and buy some.
  • How's your portfolio doing Dino. Also the other one, the crazy guy who uses this in his business (!).
  • Where's the links. The links to sites like hodlor.crypto

Why have I not been told about how blockchain could might be one day used to cure genital warts, so therefore is should buy some iota.

Where is all this shit
  • Slow day Gonz?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm never too busy for some goading
  • I remember actually seeing the idiot thread on bitcointalk that spawn the hodl meme lol
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Credit: https://medium.com/lunafi-blog/cryptocurrencies-how-to-separate-the-good-from-the-bad-7157fa651146

Hopefully this will answer some questions some of you have.

There are tons of cryptocurrencies out there and sometimes it’s hard to differentiate the promising from the not-so-promising. You’re not just investing in companies, you’re investing in the software and protocols that have the potential to be the backbone of our society’s technological infrastructure in the next decade or so.

In this post, I’m going to go over our approach to critically assessing a cryptocurrency. If you’re looking for advice for day trading, this probably isn’t for you. It’s nearly impossible to predict short-term price movements, instead this guide will give you the tools to do your own research to hopefully find promising long-term projects.

I’ll break up this guide into three sections:
    Part 1: Looking at the numbers
    Part 2: Looking at the product
    Part 3: Looking at the team

There is a LOT of money to be made by building hype for a coin. Be skeptical of everything you read online. There are tons of fake twitter accounts, fake reddit accounts, fake blogs, and sponsored news articles to make it appear as if a cryptocurrency has a surge in interest when in reality it’s completely orchestrated by only a few people who are trying to pump the price up to make a quick profit. Just like the stock market, you can make short-term gains off some hype but it’s not a guarantee for long-term growth. Be skeptical and do your own research.

Part 1: Looking at the numbers
    Circulating supply
    Price has a LOT to do with circulating supply, which is the total number of a certain coin currently in existence. Let’s look at the top 3 coins right now by market cap:
    Bitcoin is #1, price $14,368
    Ethereum is #2, price $1,381
    Ripple is #3, price $1.97
    The price differs because there are different circulating supplies for each.

Total supply vs. circulating supply
    Total supply isn’t the same as circulating supply. Circulating supply is the number of coins that exist right now, total supply is the most of a coin that will ever exist. For example, there will only ever be 21 million Bitcoins created so its total supply is 21 million. If a coin has a low circulating supply right now but a massive total supply, that could change its potential price point over time as more become available so take that into consideration.

Circulating supply vs. market cap
    This exercise can help determine how much room for growth a coin has. Ask yourself, if a coin suddenly became the #20 largest by market cap, what would the price be? We can calculate the market cap of the coin with the following formula:
    Market cap = circulating supply * price
    Inversely, we can calculate what a coin’s price would be at any hypothetical market cap with the following:

Hypothetical market cap ÷ circulating supply = hypothetical price

For example, as of writing DigitalNote (XDN) is #100 largest coin by market cap and has a circulating supply of 6,893,991,066 coins. Currently the #20 largest coin is RaiBlocks with a market cap of $3,255,714,560. If DigitalNote suddenly jumped from #100 to #20 and had the same market cap as RaiBlocks, we can calculate what it’s price would be:

$3,255,714,560 market cap ÷ 6,893,991,066 coins = $0.4722 price

Right now DigitalNote is at a price of $0.053094. So if it jumped from #100 largest by market cap to #20, that would be a 8.76x increase in price. That’s pretty good! Now it’s up to you to decide if it really could reach that market cap or not.

Current market cap rating
    This metric is pretty basic, but it’s still an easy and quick way to assess a coin. If a coin is #5 right now, how much room does it really have to grow? Adversely, if it’s #400 right now, there’s probably a reason nobody’s buying it. Maybe it’s just been released and you’re lucky enough to get in early, or maybe it’s a total flop without any chance of success in the future.

Pre-mined and reserved coins
    Most cryptocurrencies are created through a process called “mining”. Some teams “pre-mine” a number of coins, meaning they take a number of coins and automatically reserve them for the team. This can be good if the price goes up because it can fund the team and ensure they have resources to continue development and marketing, but it can also be a red flag. If a team takes 45% of all coins, that’s probably a get-rich-quick scheme for them and you should avoid it. If 10% are pre-mined, perhaps that’s acceptable if the team puts it to good use. Some successful coins which included a pre-mine are Ripple, Cardano, Stellar and NEM. Many coins have had success without the need for any pre-mined amount.

Daily volume
    Volume is how much money was traded in total in a day, represented in its U.S. dollar amount. Don’t be fooled, there are very wealthy people out there manipulating the markets every day by strategically moving around massive amounts of money. If a coin has a low daily volume (<$10 million or so) its price can easily be manipulated by a few wealthy investors (a.k.a. “whales”). A high daily volume shows there’s a lot of interest and trading going on that day for a coin, and it’s harder for a few individuals to manipulate the price.

Part 2: Looking at the product

White paper
    Every project has a white paper available on their website, a scientific paper describing the project’s goals and design. The Bitcoin white paper started it all and it’s still open for public viewing. This should really be an impressive paper, read it and ask yourself if it seems like it was written with passion and intelligence or with haste. If a project doesn’t even have a white paper, that’s a bad sign.

This concept applies to any new product or technology: it should have its place in the market. Does the coin solve a real problem in an existing market? Does it create an entirely new market?
    One example we can look at is something like HempCoin (THC). It’s claim is that it’s a cryptocurrency for the cannabis industry to facilitate transactions between hemp farmers, distributors, and dispensaries. It’s built on the code of Bitcoin, but it’s only for cannabis. Why does this industry need its own currency? Why can’t they just accept something like Bitcoin or Litecoin? Does every industry need its own coin? Do I need a special coin just for my bath products? Probably not, so these types of coins don’t typically seem too promising unless they have a lot of industry contacts and a real reason to exist.

Real world use
    Blockchain technologies are still very much in their early days, we’ve yet to see their full potential on a large scale. Many cryptocurrencies are valued at a high price because of the speculation of what they will someday achieve, but some like Bitcoin and Ethereum are actually being used by corporations and accepted as payments by real vendors, and their prices reflect that. Any cryptocurrency that has been adopted and is being used for what it’s meant to do is a big sign that it has a promising future.

When considering tokens like Binance Coin (BNB), one thing to note is the difference between utility tokens and security tokens. A security token is essentially just a stock, it’s an investment in a company and nothing else. A utility token is an investment in a company but the token is actually used for something. In the example of Binance Coin, it was used to raise funds for the company but the coins can actually be used for things like paying fees on the Binance platform, so the coin has real world use. Utility tokens will rise in price as the platform that uses them increases in use because it drives demand, so that’s great to see.

Roadmap
    Every good project will have a roadmap front and center on their website. If they don’t have a publicly available roadmap, it’s probably not worth your time. Have they met their milestones so far? How legitimate or attainable do their future milestones appear?

Falling behind schedule is an unfortunate truth of software development so that’s not always a bad sign as long as progress is being made, but a team should be working on the right things. Is creating a store to sell branded swag really the best use of resources?

Looking at the team
    Developer activity
    Some teams have more marketers than engineers. You’re purchasing technology, not hype, so that’s not a great sign. These projects should have active developer teams who are constantly improving their code. It’s easy to take a look at what an engineer team has been up to since all of the code is open source and public.

All code will be on GitHub.com where pretty much every open source project lives. The easiest way to find the code for a project is just to run a Google search for the name of the coin with “github”, so for example “Bitcoin github” will find you Bitcoin’s code.

Open source vs. company-backed
    Many cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Vertcoin are entirely open source and maintained by a community of passionate volunteers or individuals instead of an existing corporate entity. If it’s open source and succeeding that shows that there’s real interest by individuals. If it’s backed by an existing company that can be great if they’ve got experience and industry connections, for example in the case of Ripple being backed by a company has been a driving factor of its success. Do your own research and look into the company’s history and its founders.

Team’s track record
    Most projects will list their team members on their website, try Googling around and see if you can find any other material on them. Do they have a LinkedIn with a history and lots of contacts, or is it brand new with just a few friends? Do they even exist on LinkedIn? Try Googling their name with “scam” included to see if they’ve been involved in any scandals in the past. The Tezos ICO is an example of a well-known scam.

Many coins are tokens that are used within some industry, if that’s the case partnerships with other companies can be a big deal. For example Waltonchain (WTC) is using tokens on the blockchain to track where physical goods have been and improve transparency of the supply chain industry. Since this is very specific, seeing WTC have real-world partnerships with businesses in this industry is a great sign for its future.

Funding
    Engineering is expensive, and most teams pay for marketing as well. Because of this, looking at a team’s funding can be a good indicator of how much headroom they have. Did the team get funding through an ICO? If so, they might be sitting on a mountain of (digital) cash.
    One example is Lisk, which raised the equivalent of $6 million in Bitcoin during their ICO. That same amount of BTC is now worth approximately $235 million. That’s a lot of money, they’ve got plenty of funds to hire a good team and keep working on their product for years to come.

Social media
    There’s no denying that the majority of exposure to new technologies and products these days is through places like Twitter and Reddit. Find a coin’s Twitter account, do they have a lot of followers? If not, maybe you’re lucky enough to find it early! If they do have a large following, that’s a great indicator that there’s real public interest.
    Search for how many people are talking about a coin, search Twitter for a hashtag or a keyphrase. Of course, don’t just check how many tweets include a hashtag of a cryptocurrency but also the content. If everyone on Twitter is saying horrible things about a coin, there’s probably a reason.

I found a better site

https://athcoinindex.com
  • I actually had a reminder in my calendar to ask if bitcoin had picked up after the crash
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    yeah man its evolved into a new state and has legs now and it can open doors ive stockpiled soup
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    why ya stockpiling piss
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It relieves the pain of blockchain stings.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Imho I think a long term portfolio should have the following: 1) currency i.e. Bitcoin, Bitcoin cash or Litecoin. 2) privacy currency i.e. Monero, Zcash, Pivx. 3) platforms i.e. Etherium, Neo, Qtum. 4) utility (fintech) i.e. Ripple, Stellar lumens, Omisego. Anyway that's my own opinion, but that's what I working towards for the long term holds. A coin or two in each category.

All of the things mentioned here have lost at least 65%, zcash is down 97% on its ath.

Wowzer.
  • I mean, it seems like I'm trolling but swindles like this only work if people talk about them.when they are up, and keep quiet and don't admit mistakes when they're down.
  • I don't think you are trolling. It looks pretty grim for the speculators, which is good.
  • He is kinda trolling.
  • Suck it nerds.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!