2. Yakuza 0
    3. Super Mario Odyssey
    4. Metroid Samus Returns
    5. Puyo Puyo Tetris 
    6. Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia 
    7. Steamworld Dig 2 
    8. PES 2018
    9. Super Bomberman R
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • METROOOOIIIIDDD!!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I've still not opened mine, but I'm guessing it could slot in as my number 6.
  • 1. Zelda.
    2. Blackwood Crossing. (So very close to 1)
    3. Last Days of June.
    4. Resi 7.
    5. Mario
    6. What Remains of Edith Finch
    7. Hide and Seek
    8. Kiss Chase
    9. Off ground tig.
    10. Hide the sausage.

Still to plays include Wolfenstein 2. Nier. Hellblade. Horizon Zero Dawn (hahahaha yeah, probably never gonna go back). Prey (thanks Secret Santa). Arms. Finish off Hob.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    METROOOOIIIIDDD!!!!

@hylian_elf updated my list. Cant forget puyo puyo tetris!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • 1. Zelda: BOTW. Open world perfection.
    2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Juicy & meaty JRPG Epic.
    3. Nier Automata. Jack of all trades, master of the swan song.
    4. Mario Odyssey. Platformer grade crack.
    5. A.R.M.S. Cagey fightman freshness.
  • Update 3 4:

1. Mario Odyssey
    2. Yakuza 0
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    4. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    5. The End is Nigh
    6. Steamworld Dig 2

7. Sonic Mania
    8. Nex Machina
    9. What Remains of Edith
    10. ARMS

Out goes Cuphead, which I'm a huge fan of, relegated along with Rime and Lost Legacy.
  • 1 Hollow Knight PC

See tempy for better words. But this is just great. Big, challenging, moody. Great use of simple mechanics and ideas into something grand. (The constraints on charms are brilliantly done.)

2 Pako 2 PC

Have been playing it in Alpha etc all year. Out in full late in the year. Super simple concept. Crazy taxi/driver with guns and power ups, with a micro machines camera angle, basically. Progression for unlocks is a little strangely balanced at the start, but it’s vintage one more turn stuff.

3 Pyre PC

Not perfect, not my usual style of game, but actually really great. Outside of Hollow Knight, which is a clear number one, the rest of my list is sorted through a judgement call around it’s aftertaste. Pako 2 was moorish. Pyre grew on me slowly and felt more than the sum of it’s parts.

The battle mechanics are really clever. The aesthetics, story and lore are really really well done. And somehow, even though I skipped through large chunks of it, and it was text heavy, I still gave some sort of shit about the characters. And the story did give you decisions to make around party members, that ended up being kinda hard.  

4 Destiny 2 Bone/PC

Started at 1 by default earlier in the year, and it’s just dropped and dropped. There’s still lots I like about it. But the aftertaste is very very bitter. Won’t bore you with a further take on it.

5 Echo PC

Gets in because it’s trying something. Aftertaste is fair to middling. I suspect if I could be arsed playing with the mechanics a bit more I’d like it more, but I also suspect a lot of folks will just want to get through the game without replaying. Really liked the dialogue, for the most part. Well acted, seriously.

Hob PC

(Call it an honourable mention. If it wasn’t so patchy in performance in a few spots, and if it did just a bit more with it’s combat it might have made it much much higher. Still well worth a bash if you get it cheap.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • No Face, you are not allowed to like Destiny, it's the worst cancer and it murdered your children.
  • I enjoyed it a lot too, played a good deal of it but as soon as I'd beaten the raid the desire to play dropped off a cliff. Then they gated everything behind DLC that I didn't buy. Shortly afterwards the people I played with mostly tired of it, and the server channel went quiet. Really enjoyed the first few weeks though, don't regret my purchase at all.
  • Easily my most disappointing of the year. My brother is getting Edith Finch I think so I’ll cast my votes after that, not gonna get a chance to play NieR until later in the year.
  • I played 12 games released in 2017. Here's the best 10:

1) Super Mario Odyssey
    2) Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
    3) Prey
    4) Destiny 2
    5) Cuphead
    6) Golf Story
    7) Yakuza 0
    8} Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    9) Halo Wars 2
    10) Snipperclips
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You've not played Zelda Matty???
  • Not yet! Will pick it up soon though.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Disqualified!
  • 1 Nier Automata
    2 Yakuza Zero
    3 Blackwood Crossing
    4 Rime
    5 Forza Motorsport 7
    6 Uncharted Lost Legacy
    7 What Remains of Edith Finch
  • 1. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
    2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Switch
    3. PUBG - PC
    4. Nier - PS4
    5. Destiny 2 - PC
    6. Splatoon 2 - Switch
    7. Monster Hunter Stories - 3DS
    8. Fire Emblem Warriors - Switch
    9. Nioh - PS4
    10. Fire Emblem Echoes - 3DS
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Does Horizon get significantly better because I’ve played the first two hours and it was ok, nothing more.
  • Edit:  fuck giphy and all it stands for
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Does Horizon get significantly better because I’ve played the first two hours and it was ok, nothing more.
    Yes, much.
  • Nice to see Nier and Yakuza getting the love. They’re not gonna win GotY in a year like this, with Zelda and Mario both being super popular, but they’re both fantastic nonetheless.
  • When does the voting end?

And am I allowed to include Mario if I only started playing it in January?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I'm doing it!

1. Zelda
    2. Mario
    3. Destiny
    4. Everybody golf
    5. Yakuza 0

The only ones I've played enough of to actually form an opinion on. Not finished Zelda or Mario and had my fill of It Yakuza by about a third of the way in. Liked that third, mind.

Despite my best efforts, couldn't get into Nier. The moment to moment want good enough. I'm sure it's brilliant overall though.

Uncharted I seem to have given up on. More of the same and had plenty of that already.

Horizon: stopped after 2 hours also. After Zelda or felt rather run of the mill. Do intend to return to it someday.

Can't really think of anything else I've played...?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So the three games I've played so far this year we're released in 2014, 2014 and 2016. I stuck as this.

Nextare Firewatch and TLG. Epic fail.

I'm sticking by my previous list for now...
  • Moron
  • Mr shifty could crack my list.
  • Three quarters through and the decision is. Only really whether it goes 2 or 3.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!