PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Breath of the Wild.

I’d go with that. So much hype.

Yup, s’all right an all that but no O.O.T.

Oh, and The Last Jedi was shite.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian Clapped Back On Jimmy Eat World's Classic Album "Bleed American" And Afgavinstan Was Not Here For It.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was just down to expectations really. Bleed American was the first J.E.W song I’d ever heard, it came at a point where I had recently fallen in love with At the Drive-In and was very keen to hear more similar music. I heard that single and thought I’d found a band ploughing a similar furrow, unfortunately it turned out to be a band who’d written a similar song amongst a whole load of other stuff I had zero interest in.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Breath of the Wild.
    Yup, s’all right an all that but no O.O.T. Oh, and The Last Jedi was shite.

I want to clarify that I actually think BoTW was wonderful and GOTY for me.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It was just down to expectations really. Bleed American was the first J.E.W song I’d ever heard, it came at a point where I had recently fallen in love with At the Drive-In and was very keen to hear more similar music. I heard that single and thought I’d found a band ploughing a similar furrow, unfortunately it turned out to be a band who’d written a similar song amongst a whole load of other stuff I had zero interest in.

I'm fine.... I'm totally fine... Juuuuuuuuust fine.

Listen to A Static Prevails.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I feel like posting that chick young Walter Smith interview here
  • Shadow Dancer

*joins Frantic in the corner*
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I feel like posting that chick young Walter Smith interview here

My dude
  • giphy.gif
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Breath of the Wild.
    Yup, s’all right an all that but no O.O.T. Oh, and The Last Jedi was shite.

I want to clarify that I actually think BoTW was wonderful and GOTY for me.

Did you even finish it Wookie? It had too many problems to make GotY for me. Especially with all the other good stuff this year. Peerless open world design marred by needless menu shuffling brought on by overly stingy weapon degradation, an over stuffed cooking mechanic, and poop combat. The end game and boss was truly rubbish too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My level of expectation isn't all that high now so I don't get disappointed much any more.

Film-wise:

A slight twinge was felt over Star Wars - I was 11 or so and while it was good I can remember half way through realising it hadn't lived up to the hype.

When I found out Ghostbusters was a comedy.

Independence Day - I made a mental note that that was me finished with Hollywood and I would never expect to really enjoy any of its output ever again.

In retrospect those films are quite enjoyable but that initial disappointment can't ever be forgotten.

20 mins into Jeepers Creepers was exactly when they copped out. Wifey was going to leave the cinema she was so terrified. Then it turned into the Muppet Horror Movie.

Games-wise:

2600 Defender - the flickering was one thing - but the fact that your ship and the laser shot shared the same sprite was quite another. It meant your ship literally disappeared each time you fired.  I played the game - a lot - I got value out of it (even then when games in '83 were £30) but that initial disappointment was huge.

Mario Kart 64 - looked ropey, but its real crime is it ran too slow - the PAL port is horrendous. The Single player game felt empty too - and the cup sequence being unskippable is inexcusable.  I now have the JPN version and play it on a RGB SCART modded machine on a CRT - so I now see it at it's best - and while some of the tracks are still quite brilliant - it's a poor sequel.

arcades post crash every time I walk into an arcade filled with ticket machines I think about what they used to be.

Music-wise:

The Pogues may have been a great band but their output post MacGowan is sleep inducing.

Bitches Brew Madness. Initially disappointing because I was expecting the cool Miles. I have since grown to appreciate its greatness though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, all this talk about the recent Star Wars films and nobody has mentioned the Phantom Menace. I mean really, surely that was a greater disappointment than anything Star Wars since?
  • Musically for me recently was Father John Misty's latest. Feels like a complete ditch of the craft that his first two had (songs with structure and wonderful melodies abound) to a more "just a stream of consciousness" way to his lyrics I find it hard to jam to. I'm never one to deny any kind of artistic progress, I've grown out of many bands, grown into a few more. It is what it is.
  • I think there's enough to jam to in it, he does the stream thing for like 3 songs, one of which (the title) is basically Bored in the USA v.2

Worth giving it another go and just skipping the stuff you don't like, the songsmanship is still there in stuff like TEF and Last Thoughts. New single for album 4 is great too.

I initially felt the same about American Dream, but I gave it a bunch more chances and now it's up there with Sound of Silver. Went back to Pure Comedy this week and felt the same.
  • Yeah, maybe I was a bit quick. Was "of its time" at the time, I feel. Will need to Spotify it more than just sit down and put on the record and wait, better to pick and choose that way.

EDIT: yeah I need to do the same with American Dream.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    What immediately springs to mind for me games wise:

Crackdown 2
    NiGHTS (XB360)
    Halo 5
    Destiny 2
    No Half Life 2 Ep 3
    Cave stopping doing new Shmups
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When The Kitchen Bar in Belfast was bulldozed to make way for Victoria Sq - a shopping centre.

The contractor rebuilt it at the entrance - but there was no way the initial Victorian charm would be recreated. They built a soulless hole that the owner ran for a while before selling up. It's now a tourist trap and the original's signature dish - The Paddy Pizza aka The KBS - Kitchen Bar Special is a cheap horrific faded facsimilie that I am actually ashamed of.
  • Tony Hawk's American Wasteland was the tipping point for me. The utter bastards, Acti.
  • Yeah, maybe I was a bit quick. Was "of its time" at the time, I feel. Will need to Spotify it more than just sit down and put on the record and wait, better to pick and choose that way.

I wasn't listening to an interview with him and he's frustrated it got pegged as entirely focused around Trump because he'd been workshopping Leaving LA for like 3+ years

I learn a lot listening to those KEXP shows
  • I'm never one to deny any kind of artistic progress, I've grown out of many bands, grown into a few more. It is what it is.

Yep.  It's disappointing when it happens though.

The Black Keys
    The Hold Steady
    The Decemberists
    Blackalicious
    The Streets
    Belle & Sebastian

All lost their appeal for me, to varying degrees.  Four of them to the point of ignoring albums completely.   

I couldn't get on with John Grant's Grey Tickles, but I should probably wait for a second disappointing album to judge.
  • I'm actually trying to think of disappointments now. I tend to take stuff in my stride and not get overhyped so it's tough. Halo 2 is the most memorable one I think.

But even that ended up being an introduction to online console gaming, so I don't feel it should count.
  • I'd put the campaign in there, it wasn't even much cop split screen.
  • Godfather 3 I think. I wasn't ready.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cave stopping doing new Shmups

this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Godfather 3 I think. I wasn't ready.

I quite liked that actually.  I'm one of the few.
  • Recently, Stranger Tings season 2.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Halo 2

Slap this man, someone.
  • Just the campaign, it wasn't good and back then I bought into all of Bungie's nonsense.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Castlevania : Symphony of the Night - broke my linear heart.

Gods of War (PS2) : walk along, mash buttons, walk along. Repeat

I enjoyed the first boss but when I realised I had a pile more walk and mash to do I abandoned it. Loved the setting and theme, loved the presentation values. Hated the game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!