Dead Cells
  • I realise it's colourless, so the decision is hard, but your only mild issue there is the grenade. If you're pumping tac/purple, you can get cool down super ridic quick and be dropping traps and turrets constantly.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Stat screen could do with telling when it was picked up, Grem could have got the colourless Pyro after the grenade, making it redundant. Also hard to tell what colour items are picked up when distributing stats, cos you nearly always want a stack of around 15 clean on any single stat as that’s when you stop gaining a health bonus.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And don't get hit by the spinning spike chains too
  • The Clock Tower finished me off this time, I'm not a big fan of Conjunctishiteus either. 

In my head I have a long list of changes to make this perfect. Some are pretty good, I think. But the changes would make this a different game, so it's probably better to admit it just isn't for me.

Godspeed to you all.
  • You just have to not be bad at it.
  • Would be interested to hear what you think needs to be changed though. My big change would be to make the Legendary Forge available before The Conciege, as people really seem to struggle with him, and gating the chance to increase the appearance +modifier gear behind him can be off putting.

Other than that though I think it’s fairly balanced, and when you invest a few hours into it and accept that you will probably be making 50 to 80 runs before you get a win, it’s a lot easier to deal with. I’m no high skill gamer but I tend to make 90% of my runs take me to at least the last stage, it not the last boss.
  • Aye I lost 69 cells at the concierge last night whilst shooting for the forge. Weak build got me.
  • Having said that, I am in two minds though. Part of the game is knowing when to cash and when to save though, if your build is week you gotta cash in.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I’m no high skill gamer but I tend to make 90% of my runs take me to at least the last stage, it not the last boss.
    I think that's the problem for a game like this. If I play safe and stick to what I know I can pretty much guarantee a late game run. But that just makes the earlier levels feel increasingly redundant. If I can skip through them without thinking, what's the point? I won't find the high level weapons I need in those first few levels. And because you refill your health after each level, there's no need to even be careful. It's a good 20 minutes each game (more if I'm not rushing) before I need to disengage autopilot.

The best roguelikes keep you on your toes in the early stages, even after prolonged play.
  • Playing it safe is snooze worthy though, it’s more fun to belt through the levels like a force of nature. Once you’ve beaten it once and you activate a boss cell, your healing opportunities are reduced, but your gear is improved. By boss cell 4 there is no way of healing.

You don’t find high level gear in earlier stages but it’s rarely redundant? It informs your build for that run, and what stats you’re focussing on. If you’re still spreading stats evenly by the second biome you’re setting yourself up for a slow, tedious run. With the forge you can take early gear right to the end of the game, it’s often better to stick with something you’ve got good mods for than dropping gear like a magpie for shiny Legendary gear that doesn’t work.

Edit: I’m not sure i’m able to autopilot any of it after 80 odd hours either, the fact death comes swift (and even swifter with one cell active) has made it pretty engaging for me.
  • By playing it safe I man sticking to tried and tested weapon combos, rather than experimenting. I can zip through the early levels in no time, but it's a real chore.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Despite my complaints, I am enjoying more now that I've unlocked some stuff and lowered my expectations.  It occupies the same space as Destiny as a brainless in-between game I can stick on with a podcast and enjoy running around hitting things for the sake of it because hitting the things feels quite nice.
  • Yeah, I think I'm there too. It's not a game I never want to play again. More like one I'll have the occasional run through between other stuff.
  • It’s very much a podcast game, yeah. For all the talk of rougelikes and metroidvanias it’s really just Diablo in a Castelvania skill with a rogue style affinity for short runs with definite ends unlike the typical Diablo clone long form play. I keep coming back because I love how quickly you ramp from your starting gear up to a build where everything works together.
  • Getting good is part of it, for sure, though I'd argue that initially you need to get a little lucky, too. However, I don't think I'm bad at it, it just takes time to learn patterns and unlock things. Overall the balance is pretty decent, but the bosses are a strange spike. They don't vary but they are tough, so getting to them just to die on the next part of their attack pattern feels like a slog. This is compounded by the sheer amount of Cells needed for unlocks.

I appreciate that a large part of the frustration for me is an integral part of the satisfaction for others. This is mostly because I have very little gaming time and so a repetitive challenge is of limited appeal to me. Grinding to watch numbers go up just doesn't grab me. For that reason, it's a relief to uninstall it and get hours of my life back, rather than smiting the same enemies over and over. 

Overall, I think that is my biggest problem with the game, you have to fight the same enemies over and over again and while there is a satisfaction to that there is also a tedium. Fewer, tougher and more varied enemies who work better in tandem would improve the game for me. The next platform filled with seven of the same enemy rather than six just raises a sigh.

I feel this is where a lot of games in general fall down, and why we talk of dissonance while we murder thousands of enemies. Twenty enemies of the caliber of Ornstein and Smough would be more my bag. That said, those are easy words to type but much harder to design, and totally out of keeping with the rogue template.

In summary, it's not you, it's me.
  • I don't like the bosses at all, actually. It's really just a matter of how quickly your set up can whittle down their health metre that decides the outcome.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It’s very much a podcast game, yeah. For all the talk of rougelikes and metroidvanias it’s really just Diablo in a Castelvania skill with a rogue style affinity for short runs with definite ends unlike the typical Diablo clone long form play. I keep coming back because I love how quickly you ramp from your starting gear up to a build where everything works together.

Aye, the daft and different combos keep me coming back. A new build after every stupid mistake/brutal hammering from a boss is enough to stave off boredom and frustration. It's a real pick up and play whittler, I don't go into it with the goal of beating my last run every time, just seeing what happens on this one.

I tend to mix the aim of each run by concentrating on pumping cells into the forge, hunting new blueprints or going as far as I can. Being shite at it isn't really putting me off, thankfully.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Stop swinging the dick lad I beat the end boss with scrub build let's cock joust
  • We;re both allowed to brag on stuff we've done on One Cell mode.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I got the top one, didn't realise until I tried to refill my potions/health and it said I didn't need it.

The second one feels like a long way off.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I want this. Do I go Switch or Bone?
  • Dubs wrote:
    Despite my complaints, I am enjoying more now that I've unlocked some stuff and lowered my expectations.  It occupies the same space as Destiny as a brainless in-between game I can stick on with a podcast and enjoy running around hitting things for the sake of it because hitting the things feels quite nice.
    Very much so, some games work so well with podcasts
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Get it up ye

unknown.png

B I G B O I S
  • Less than 5% of people on steam have that achievement, I can see why. Lass than 1% have the 4 cell victory.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Rate you're going you'll have it done by the end of the week lad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!