Dead Cells
  • Some dodgy stuff today going about surrounding IGN's review of this being completely ripped from a youtuber.

Not had a chance to watch it fully but they're being rinsed about it on twitter etc.
  • I preordered yesterday, played some after midnight when it unlocked (wasn't expecting that!) and I was very sceptical at first, being a run based game. I can't put it down. The actual gameplay of it is so so solid, and although it starts to get pretty tough, you're given enough abilities to get through. Invincible rolling, double jump, everything recharges pretty quickly, good weapons... it just feels good.
    JonB wrote:
    I instinctively wanted roll on R1, but by the time I changed it I guess I was getting used to having it on circle. Now I'm all sorts of confused.

I did EXACTLY this this morning. I changed it, but then kept hitting A/O, so switched it back. I might try and use R2 for roll, and L1/R1 for grenades. Try and replicate Bayonetta's layout...
  • Ok, watched. Yeah, that's pretty gallus.
  • They've removed it from IGN. Am guessing they got a freelancer in to do it? and they had a couple of other jobs at the same time...

edit: if it turns out to be an IGN staffer who wrote it, that'd be pretty insane. The guy reading the review in the video is quite well known on the site and seems like a legit dude, can't imagine he wrote the review.
  • Well dodgy. Could be costly for his career.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Second go got me nowhere.

Third I got my first upgrade and made it a fair bit further. Finally met
    Spoiler:
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Well dodgy. Could be costly for his career.

Wow, it was actually written by Filip Miucin... I've heard/seen him on the Nintendo podcasts and he always seemed like a smart and legit dude. The video shows quite clearly it's more than a vague coincidence.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He's their ign Nintendo editor, so it's not like it's a quick freelancer job. He's only been in there like a year after Jose Otero left. Can't see how an editor stays in a gig after that.

If you want me to go full tinfoil, his boss, who he does the Nintendo podcast with, peer Schneider is on holiday in Japan ATM (I follow him on Twitter) so it could be a wee half job Harry while the big guy is out the office.
  • That sounds plausible. 

But... I mean... it's on the internet, did he think no on would find out?
  • Handy being able to change up all the controls
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Are Switch players playing handheld or telly?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Handheld all the way. To be honest I haven’t played anything on the TV in yonks.
  • Well that didn't take long to download.

Ready to rock when I get home.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Had a few blasts on this earlier. Seems decent, no hooks in yet but I imagine it’s just a matter of time. Went for PC as really want to finish Hollow Knight on switch and knowing my habits this would’ve just replaced it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm loving this more than Hollow Knight, but they are very different games. It's weird how I've got a better feeling for the map in this, and a much better idea of what way I want to go to get to the next bit than I did in Hollow Knight considering the maps are random here and fixed in HK.
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    15 deaths before I even met the first boss.

knuckle-biter.gif
  • Over twenty hours before I beat a run, beware
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It'll be twenty hours before I see the boss again at this rate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Assuming you see the same boss first?
    Spoiler:
  • This is really fucking good, eh?

In the Toxic Sewers atm. Only 4th run.
  • I’m not sure this is for me, kind of feels like it throws everything at you too quickly - was never a fan of the Diablo approach to loot
    Also there is no pacing just full throttle from the start
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I've done about 8 runs now.

The combat is so responsive and tight to control. Very nice. Love abusing the ground slam. I've also used bows as a secondary weapon every time so far - they're too satisfying to make me want to try a shield.

As for progress, I've got to the boss Paul mentioned 3 times now and got battered 3 times. Thought I had enough to deal with it last time, but no. Hit it with everything I had and still wasn't that close to beating it.

Think I need to try the other way from the first level. 
    Spoiler:
  • I might need to get this. My struggles with Enter the Gungeon's difficulty may play a factor though. I know that's probably v stupid.
  • Catacomb Kids and Streets of Rogue got their hooks into me much more than this, looking forward to trying it again now it's 'done' though.
  • I might need to get this. My struggles with Enter the Gungeon's difficulty may play a factor though. I know that's probably v stupid.

I’m
    Rubbish I’ve still not finished spelunky

Amazed myself first run

The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I've done about 8 runs now.

The combat is so responsive and tight to control. Very nice. Love abusing the ground slam. I've also used bows as a secondary weapon every time so far - they're too satisfying to make me want to try a shield.

As for progress, I've got to the boss Paul mentioned 3 times now and got battered 3 times. Thought I had enough to deal with it last time, but no. Hit it with everything I had and still wasn't that close to beating it.

Think I need to try the other way from the first level. 
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Gungeon is piss, tried to warn ya.
  • JonB wrote:
    I've done about 8 runs now. The combat is so responsive and tight to control. Very nice. Love abusing the ground slam. I've also used bows as a secondary weapon every time so far - they're too satisfying to make me want to try a shield. As for progress, I've got to the boss Paul mentioned 3 times now and got battered 3 times. Thought I had enough to deal with it last time, but no. Hit it with everything I had and still wasn't that close to beating it. Think I need to try the other way from the first level. 
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I've done about 8 runs now. The combat is so responsive and tight to control. Very nice. Love abusing the ground slam. I've also used bows as a secondary weapon every time so far - they're too satisfying to make me want to try a shield. As for progress, I've got to the boss Paul mentioned 3 times now and got battered 3 times. Thought I had enough to deal with it last time, but no. Hit it with everything I had and still wasn't that close to beating it. Think I need to try the other way from the first level. 
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Maybe start a spoiler thread cos this is already annoying
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!