Twin Peaks - The Owls Are Not What They Seem (SPOILERS)
  • I'm now in Reg's position. 

What a beautiful, brilliant, baffling series. I want to have more. What more mysteries do you have for us to investigate Mr Lynch?
  • I believe that while it is certainly finished if it needs to be, we *will* see a season 4. Going to take some time - Lynch has said at least four years - but the Showtime boss is well up for it, as are all of the cast.

You may enjoy this article I wrote:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/12/17/twin-peaks-the-mystery-as-holy/

Mark Frost read and retweeted it which was a major thrill. :)

I also did this one, which I like quite a bit:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2018/01/15/highway-song-twin-peaks-a-traveling-song/

And this one by my friend Ivan Bukta is a very interesting, positive interpretation of the finale:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/10/15/the-scream-of-empowerment/

I think that there is a lot of meaning in the repeated references to electricity in the final episode, and that the lights go out of the Palmer's house. Still wrestling with exactly what it means, but I would not be too quick to go with the darker interpretations. I think there's some wisdom in the belief that as electricity is the means by which entities travel between dimensions that the lights going out in the home of very possibly Judy - having possessed Sarah - might mean that the ways between dimensions are closed. I also love it because it is the ending of a shared dream. I have had so many dreams where I go back to my childhood home and someone else is living there. It works on that basis alone, but I do think there's a lot of great mythological explanations.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • OH and the infinity symbol during Coop's meeting with Phillip Jeffries.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • This might be of interest to some of you Twin Peaks folks:

7CdTqXD.jpg

Very cool visual aid for putting together all of the comings and goings.
  • That's fantastic Paul.
  • For those who might have missed it.

Here is a great playlist of the music from The Return and the original Twin Peaks, assembled by Johnny Jewel.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Very much appreciated!
    Things can only get better.
  • Dante, what did you think of the finale?
  • God I love this scene.

hNRNH3Z.jpg

Dougie Coop was my favourite part of The Return, and this scene makes me feel all the good emotions. So hilarious and touching. I also love the scene where the elderly gambling woman thanks him for saving her life. Kyle MacLachlan deserves a big Emmy for his three distinct performances - four if you count regular Dougie.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I agree that McLachlan deserved the Emmy, but Dougie was an exercise in viewer patience. I can't say I ever took to him as he was such a void. There were a couple of moments where you could see McLachlan playing it so well and see something behind the eyes, but that's more about the performer than the character.
  • I think it's hard to separate the two, seeing as I am pretty sure that Frost and Lynch wrote around the talents of Kyle MacLachlan. I see Dougie Coop as being a newborn: he needs help from those around him, but he is still ultimately Coop, not some other entity. He has a good heart, is loyal to his friends and family and has an ability to navigate the scary evil that exists in the world. He's still in there, he's just in a daze having returned to the world after two and a half decades in another dimension. As far as I know the kind of comedic moments in The Return were left over from a cancelled Frost and Lynch project. Read more about One Saliva Bubble and how that relates to The Return here. I think Dougie Coop says a lot about how Lynch and Frost view the world, namely that the innocent and good of heart are those whom we should follow, and I find something new to appreciate each time I watch it.
  • Dougie Jones.

Red door.

I'm still mulling over the finale. Every time I think about it, I think of a new aspect to it. What actually happened? I've no idea!
  • No one involved in this abomination of a show deserved diddly squat
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    I think it's hard to separate the two, seeing as I am pretty sure that Frost and Lynch wrote around the talents of Kyle MacLachlan. I see Dougie Coop as being a newborn: he needs help from those around him, but he is still ultimately Coop, not some other entity. He has a good heart, is loyal to his friends and family and has an ability to navigate the scary evil that exists in the world. He's still in there, he's just in a daze having returned to the world after two and a half decades in another dimension. As far as I know the kind of comedic moments in The Return were left over from a cancelled Frost and Lynch project. Read more about One Saliva Bubble and how that relates to The Return here. I think Dougie Coop says a lot about how Lynch and Frost view the world, namely that the innocent and good of heart are those whom we should follow, and I find something new to appreciate each time I watch it.

Good read. I think you're right in that if you look at episode 8 and the creation in the white lodge of something to combat big then that makes sense, and of course bear in mind Laura was defined by her corruption by men, not her own.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So my brain has been rocked. I thought the box at the start of the return was to capture cooper. Turns out it's for Judy. And that's judy that fucks up those sexing kids. Christ.
  • Just ordered the box set.  Not sure what trauma and memories it will remind me of as 20 year old at the time.
  • FBI Special Agent Tammy Preston is singing at a bar just down the road from me next month for the Hobart winter festival, better check that out!  Rebekah Del Rio supporting.  Think the organiser is a David Lynch fan.  Bar better be serving coffee and donuts there.  None of that beer and toasted sandwich rubbish.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Oh my. That should be awesome.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dang that would be good. Maybe I should fly down.
  • Ah, dark mofo. They get some good peeps playing there. Missed out on seeing Antony and the Johnsons play when the date ended up being the same as an exam. Always hard to.sell tickets!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FBI Special Agent Tammy Preston is singing at a bar just down the road from me next month for the Hobart winter festival, better check that out!  Rebekah Del Rio supporting.  Think the organiser is a David Lynch fan.  Bar better be serving coffee and donuts there.  None of that beer and toasted sandwich rubbish.

Went to see her last month at the liquid rooms in Edinburgh - was great. No del Rio tho
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Went to see her last month at the liquid rooms in Edinburgh - was great. No del Rio tho

That's good to hear!  Glad you enjoyed it; really looking forward to the show.
    Ah, dark mofo. They get some good peeps playing there. Missed out on seeing Antony and the Johnsons play when the date ended up being the same as an exam. Always hard to.sell tickets!

They really do great work for Hobart.  We used to hardly get any noteworthy acts outside of up and coming JJJ bands/ The Falls Festival.  I enjoy a lot of that stuff but it's good to get something different every once in a while!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!