The Last Thing You Bought
  • Ah. Looks pretty damn cool actually. I like the Bike Hunters. Hopefully they have Neeson on board to do some ads for them.
  • Very swish. I'd be afraid to leave something that stylish unattended, tracker or not.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I was struggling to get excited about buying a bike. Finding one that includes lashings of tech made things much easier.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    One of these thanks to recommendations from here:

Vapcap-Edited_0005-1024x682-1160x665.png

I am now awaiting delivery.
    What is that?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Got wood?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Very swish. I'd be afraid to leave something that stylish unattended, tracker or not.

Fortunately, we have a secure bike storage area at work, so it should be pretty safe for commuting.

@Superfly: it’s a Vapcap M

https://www.dynavap.com/dynashop/vaporizers
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's the upmarket version of hot knives.
  • Dyson v.10 Absolute.

Just dropped a small fortune on a vac. I'm equal parts sad and happy.
  • Done the car with it. More happy than sad now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That bike looks swish.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Oh man I hated working on that bike, even just changing a light was horrible. It were older models though, and they all were pretty beaten up (Amsterdam right, their birth city). Think the original owner even admitted to making faults in the first version of that (almost 10 years ago).
    First model was offered to all Guerrilla Games employees with their name or gamertag etched into it, that was pretty cool. I'm still glad B didn't get one.

Did you actually get to try it? It's position is a bit different than most bikes.

Looking at that pictures it seems they made some good changes. That chain glider is really nice, only downside is you won't notice when you're chain gets loose easily, so check that at least once a year, it's better for your sprockets in the end.

Enjoy it! New bikes are great.

Edit, looking at the website, did you get the 3 or 8 speed?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Thanks for the tips Nina.

I did get to try it out today, the riding position seems fine to me, but I haven’t been on many bikes in the past couple of decades so I don’t have much to compare it to.

Now I have to make a decision, I can order one today and get it in a couple of weeks, or it seems the shop is in the process of getting registered with the cycle scheme, so if I can wait for a couple of months, then I can get a loan from the government and pay it back from my wages, tax free. The downside of that is that I’ll be starting getting used to riding a bike again in the autumn rather than the summer which doesn’t seem like such a good idea.

Hmmm.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Cool, I know most people that brought one in loved them, but testing a couple bikes each day their position always stood out. Doesn't matter if you haven't anything to compare it to, if it felt good and comfortable and you'd feel safe using it than that's a good fit.

Will you be saving a lot of money on your public transport commute if you get it now? Those government loans are nice, but if that means you won't be using it as much during the first half year you own it, that's wasted money.
    Another plus when you get it now is that you have summer for everything to settle (chain, spokes, cables) and you could bring it in for a first service in autumn /winter if the shop offers something like that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To be honest, I doubt I’ll be cycling into work and back from the word go anyway, it’s about 12 miles and I’ll need to build up to it. This is part of the reason why getting it in the summer would be good, it means I’ll be able to do some practise runs in the evening after work when it will still be light.

I am currently spending about £100 per month on my travelcard. It’s annual, but should I start cycling in I can get a refund for the unused portion.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Nina:

I think I've decided to order this very shortly, but I had one last question that I thought you might be able to help with.

There are two gearing options on that bike, the 3 gear version with everything nicely tucked away or a Shimano 8 gear version with the derailleur and whatnot.

It's my understanding that the 3 gear version is more reliable, but harder to fix when it does go wrong. This appeals to me, however, I do live on a steep hill and am wondering if the 8 gear one will be necessary for getting up it. Any thoughts on this?
  • That.bike looks awesome........
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Steep hills mean getting off and walking up regardless of the gears.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mayber. Most of my commute will be flat anyway, it’s only getting up my road at the end that I’m concerned about, if I have to get off and push, it won’t be the end of the world.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    8 gears are a pain in the hole really, 3 is a much better option.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Unless you have a serious variety of hills and landscape, 8 is unnecessary for the city.
  • I had a three gear hub on my first commuter bike. It was brilliant if it's reasonably flat route in and out. If you have any desire to go fast, or up any reasonable incline, go for the eight speed.

It'll probably get you fitter with the 8-speed version.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s what I was thinking. My area is pretty hilly, but probably mostly manageable with three gears. If this really is a more reliable solution, that sounds like a win to me.

Edit: that was at Kow.
  • Top tip. First and best thing I did was swap to puncture resistant tyres.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think it already has them fitted if I’m not mistaken.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    So solid drew.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sorry.
  • Go for the three speed.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Five less things to think about.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I think it already has them fitted if I’m not mistaken.
    Website says it has CST tires which are the best "budget" tires out there. We usually gave people just the choice between CST and Schwalbe, depending on how much they wanted to spend.

3 speed is what we sold to every girl going to use it to commute to school, and some of them had some very rough roads they had to take. Dikes are no fun when it's windy and rainy.

Just a bit confused at the website. It says this under gears:
    "Internal gear hub | 3-speed: Sturmey Archer with twist shifter | 8-speed: Shimano Alfine with trigger shifter"

Which seems to suggest that they are both internal (so no derailleur) and that's what I thought the Alfine was. Turns out they have both an internal and a derailleur version. I've only seen and tested the internal one, and that thing's lovely.

Sturmey Archer's twist shifter is quite horrible if it's still the same, even when we needed to replace just the cable we replaced the whole unit. It's just a cheaper brand overall than Shimano. Not bad, does what it needs but just a pain in the workshop.

If you want to use it all year round, and the 8 speed is internal, go for that. Will make the trip that much nicer if it's windy, if you're carrying more with you and you'll be faster if you're used to it.

If the 8 speed is with a derailleur, don't buy it as a commuter. If you don't keep the chain and sprockets in top condition it will cost you a fortune to replace. It also doesn't handle rain very well.

Otherwise go with the 3 speed, it will be absolutely fine. The thing with 3 speed is just that often you're just using the 2nd, as 1's too light and 3 too heavy. Depends on the weight of the bike etc how much trouble that'll be. It requires a bit more leg work, and doesn't give you as many options when weather isn't optimal. No schoolkid ever died because of that though (big chance they'd be late for school though).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!