The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • That's not taste g.

It's so fucking popular too. And so lame. It's artistic merit is almost nil.
    The Forum Herald™
  • You should all be listening to Jonwayne instead:

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    New Blanck Mass should have just been the first two tracks. Rest is good but Rhesus Negative is so fucking choice it just destroys any chance that the rest of the album will get a look in. Shoulda stuck it at the end.
    Hmm. LP is in the post so I can only listen to it as a full album Temps did you stop to think about this did you
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Just take the needle off after Rehsus Negative, the rest of it isn't up to scratch
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Just take the needle off after Rehsus Negative, the rest of it isn't up to scratch
    Oh yeah well we'll see
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • English Tapas isn't doing it for me as much as the rest of their rekkids that i've been listening too. The pop direction is expected but doesn't perhaps work as well as I'd like it to. Gets better with stuff like Snout. I just like his choruses when they're pithy, with "You're brave!" being my favourite so far. Helps that being from the Midlands I recognise all sorts of shit that he's talking about.
  • We're going down like vhs!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Tempy wrote:
    English Tapas isn't doing it for me as much as the rest of their rekkids that i've been listening too. The pop direction is expected but doesn't perhaps work as well as I'd like it to. Gets better with stuff like Snout. I just like his choruses when they're pithy, with "You're brave!" being my favourite so far. Helps that being from the Midlands I recognise all sorts of shit that he's talking about.

Completely disagree. It's possibly their best album yet and benefits from both being not more of the same and reassuringly familiar. Pop direction? Please. Doing a bit more singing doesn't exactly mean they've gone pop.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm not using pop as a dirty word, feel free to disagree though. I just think it feels less abbrassive, a little catchier, and overall not quite as good as Divide & Exit.
  • I didn't think you were using it as a dirty word - I assumed that you were using it in the context of describing a move towards a more mainstream sound. Although it is arguably less obviously abrasive (there is less swearies) it's no more or less catchier than their other earlier stuff.

From the original mix of Jobseeker back on the The Mekon album, Chimney from S.P.E.C.T.R.E , The Wage Don't Fit off of Austerity Dogs and up to Under the Plastic & NCT on Divide & Exit and any number of other songs since they've always been catchy. It's kind of their thing, being minimalist and repetitive as they are.

It definitely isn't as immediately visceral as their older stuff though - but is notably more developed (at least in terms of some kind of a Sleaford Mods sliding scale) both lyrically and sonically.
  • I still think it's really good! I'm new to them, and I don't think they're moving more to the mainstream at all, just that they're rounding out to something that leans heavier on traditional song structure than some of the more aversive tirades they've done before. Snout and Carlton Touts are my favourites on the first few listens, I think the whole thing will grow on me in time.

They gonna happily sit next to Future of the Left for me as band that have the wittiest lyrics.
  • It's definitely a grower.
  • New Magnetic Fields album, "50 Song Memoir" comes out of Friday.  The title tells you pretty much what to expect - a song for every year of Merritt's life so far.  They've released a couple of tracks already.

Firstly "No" which is about as representative of the man's popular image as it could possibly be:

There's also a song about the influence of John Foxx:

And finally, instructions on how to play the synthesiser...

I appreciate some people would rather shove hot pokers in the ears, but for those that like the Magnetic Fields it's looking like the new one will be pretty much vintage Merritt.
  • did you listen to the new Divine Comedy which snuck out last year Tin?
  • Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds ‘best of’ collection just announced on Pledge Music … looks like the 3x CD + DVD version is the one to go for. £16.50 seems very reasonable to me.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I've been having such a massive thing for Shintaro Sakamoto (and his hair) recently. His soft melodic jazz funky - and perfectly produced - tunes just puts me in the best of moods. Latest album, Love If Possible, constantly on repeat.

This one here is from his first solo album, How to Live With a Phantom, and perfectly illustrates what he's about.

It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Just take the needle off after Rehsus Negative, the rest of it isn't up to scratch

That's overstating it a bit. I enjoyed the entire album.
  • 1o9mY2Q.jpg
    Sound of Silver 10 years old this week. Decent article about it here. http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/03/i--there-lcd-soundsystems-sound-of-silver-turns-10/

My favourite dance album ever. And 'Someone Great' is one of the finest songs about love lost.
  • I actually own that. I'm pretty sure its still shit. More shocking is that Arcade Fires Neon Bible is also 10 years old.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I bought three LCD Soundsystem albums, all good, and Someone Great is easily my favourite track of theirs.  

I listened to it again just now, and it put me in the mood to listen to this for the first time in ages, which I might as well post while it's playing in another tab:

• Sound Of Silver is in my all-time top 5. My vinyl is a prized possession. Perfection from start to finish.
  • Waters of Nazareth is also of the era. Their peak.
    Silke wrote:
    I've been having such a massive thing for Shintaro Sakamoto (and his hair) recently. His soft melodic jazz funky - and perfectly produced - tunes just puts me in the best of moods. Latest album, Love If Possible, constantly on repeat. This one here is from his first solo album, How to Live With a Phantom, and perfectly illustrates what he's about.

Enjoyed all the the Yura Yura Teikoku I'v ever heard.
  • Sleaford mods is immense.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • Facewon wrote:
    Sleaford mods is immense.

Yes! Do you ever wonder why you wonder why?
  • You fat bustards! You fat bastards!
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    You fat bustards! You fat bastards!

Have they played Oz yet? You need to see them live - they're something else entirely, in my top 3 live acts I've ever seen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!