The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • First listen of Idles (first time I've heard anything of theirs).  Well now.  Danny Nedelko is quite a thing, think I'll do that one again before carrying in.  Good choice everyone, wasn't expecting something so immediately likable.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Richard Thompson album on your list isn't his best but he's always worth a listen.
  • Idles "Best album of The Year", according to 6Music.

x
  • Yeah but they’ve got that Tranquility Base bollocks at 4 so...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It wouldn't be in my top ten, but it's a good album.

(Tranquility, not Joy)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Got turned on to these guys a bloke in a pub the other day, and they're brill

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    MuMufication, brilliant
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So yeah, I’ve mentioned in here that I’ve fallen in love with Idles, however, I do need to make really quite clear what this actually means to me.

This might be the only, and I really mean only, band I’ve ever heard whose lyrics provide with me with anything more to me than a wry smile of recognition and/or appreciation. I mean, srsly, this shit actually matters. What the fuck has actually mattered in the past two decades?

This is literally the only band that I’ve ever heard who has made me want to re-evaluate my “lyrics don’t matter” attitude.

Fuck me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    how many bands have you heard yoss

Am assuming they work better in context
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve heard, like, 80% of the bands.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve never heard any band dealing with toxic masculinity in such a belligerent and unapologetic manner.

This fucking matters.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    wow that's a lot, lot of bands
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    have you heard hard fi tho
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s in the 20%. It’s possible I’ve missed out there, but experience suggests that it’s unlikely.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No he hasn't heard them either.

Nobody should tbf
  • Skerret wrote:
    have you heard hard fi tho

Made me chuckle.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That song about needing money from the ATM like really spoke to me. Reminds me of staggering out of an Arab Strab gig at King Tuts in 2006 with my mate Andy and both of us unable to use the cash machine because of drunk. We both took out £200 instead of £20. And he did it despite watching me make the same mistake first. And we were poor students and that was it for the rest of the month, all in our hands. We went to the garage.

Lyrics that matter lads.
  • "This snowflake's an avalanche" man really?

Countdown 'til these guys get milkshake ducked.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve never heard any band dealing with toxic masculinity in such a belligerent and unapologetic manner.

This fucking matters.
    Rid of Meee, PJ Harveeeey, 1993eeeeee.

• Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve never heard any punk rock before.

Sorry Yoss, just kidding. Actually dead chuffed for you to have found something that speaks to you.
  • Yup. Somebody actually likes something. I'm all for that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This is literally the only band that I’ve ever heard who has made me want to re-evaluate my “lyrics don’t matter” attitude. Fuck me.

It's amazing when that happens.  You'll always very much like bands with that attitude, but when you finally find that one band who prove lyrics can be just as (or more) powerful, it's a true epithany.  Glad it's happened for you :)

Also, check out that Martin Carr song I posted in the Brexit thread.  The music and vocals are serviceable, but the lyrics are fantastic.

x
  • Brooks wrote:
    "This snowflake's an avalanche" man really? Countdown 'til these guys get milkshake ducked.

I'd agree that line's very obvious and cliched.  I'm not sure that remotely devalues Yoss's point that "lyrics matter" though.  Almost the reverse I guess, because the lyrics really only matter if you know what they're singing about.  (See all the idiots ringing romantic phone-ins saying "Every Breath You Take" is their song.)  I'm a fan of lyricists that favour a bit of poetry, that play with the words they sing to the degree of archness.  But the problem with such lyrics is half the people listening are immediately turned off by that, and the rest might think they're terribly clever, but they probably still don't know what the hell the song's about. 

The Idles stuff works because it's direct.  (Though Stendhal Syndrome still had people thinking it was a song about how art is shit, rather than the opposite).  It also works because what is sung is in stark contrast to what you might be expecting.  There aren't many people singing about toxic masculinity, and even fewer doing it in what might be considered such a masculine way.  Yeah, there are other records saying it's OK to be vulnerable, but few that might result in the listener thinking "well, if he can think it, so can I".

I'd also argue (I know, I should have stopped two paragraphs ago), that simplicity can still be damn powerful at times.  "A still born is still born.  I am a father,"  probably isn't going to be winning the TS Elliot poetry prize anytime soon, but as a statement on that particular experience, it pulls a lot into very few words, and you understand every bit of it.  (Even if the song resorts to utilising the well known, not-actually-written-by-Hemingway, "baby shoes, not worn" to ram it home.)

Equally, I know that "If someone talked to you, the way you do to you - I'd put their teeth through.  Love yourself" is clumsily written and only escapes Hallmark card status by the inclusion of violence, but it came on the radio the other day, and a huge smile cracked across my face and, for a brief moment, I allowed it.  That's worth something, if only to me. 

As for being milkshake ducked, well yeah, possibly, but that seems to be a risk with everyone these days.  Besides, they're pretty open about who they used to be, so I'll take who they are now at face value.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Re: the lyrics from June up there (a still born is still born):

https://twitter.com/HelenMessenger/status/1067385123996344320
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Yup. Somebody actually likes something. I'm all for that.
    NEVER

actually me too
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I'm a fan of lyricists that favour a bit of poetry, that play with the words they sing to the degree of archness.  But the problem with such lyrics is half the people listening are immediately turned off by that

I'm not a fan of poetry - the odd limerick or revolting rhyme perhaps, but there's no point in me even pretending to like the weighty stuff - so I fill the void with poetic lyrics.  If an album I've bought hasn't got the lyrics in a handy pull-out booklet I'll be disappointed (hello, Joy as an Act of Resistance).  My appreciation for the vast majority of music I listen to starts with the words, and once I've latched onto a lyricist I like I'll happily wade through the bleakest of wilderness years to find a worthwhile track.  I don't obsess over everything quite liked I used to, but I still scope for 'reward/pay-off' lines to look forward to in songs.  Such as, seeing as I've quoted Tin...

As four in the morning came on, cold and boring
    We huddled close
    In the bus stop enclosure enfolding
    Our hands tightly holding...

And the fleeting goosebumps do their job.  I'm aware that I give lyrics far more leeway than I would actual poetry, but I don't see the problem with that - a good line's a good line if it delivers in context.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gutted no one resonated with my sad tale
  • I liked it but as I'm not sure whether there is an ATM track I couldn't quite work out if it was for reals or a fabricated piss-take of a certain style of lyrics you don't like.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!